• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

GunZ Server in virtual machine can't establish direct connection [Refined GunZ]

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The server works just fine on the host pc, but when I moved the server to a vm, I suddenly have the error "Failed to establish direct connection to *player name*" causing 999 ping. This error code might be slightly different on Refined GunZ than other servers (I assume this is a NAT?). The vm is running in bridged mode with all the ports forwarded to the vm's ip. It might be relevant to mention that I'm testing on 2 computers on the same network and haven't done any outside testing yet. Also, the pc that the vm is on is also 1 of the pcs I'm playing/testing on.

The Sky's the Limit ^_^
Reaction score
Not sure about testing it on the same network, although I am sure with any source including the 1.5 sources this problem also remains. The error you got there I believe is refined gunz version of NAT. If you were to test it outside of your network I am sure it will work fine. I am using this on a production server and it works just fine, the strange thing is, I get the same error with certain players, but I can still play with them?

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was also getting the error when hosting the server on the host pc (not in a vm) but it didn't have 999 ping so I was still able to play (sounds like you have the same thing). Then I changed the ip in the config.xml and the error went away and I was finally able to play without error for the first time. I only started getting the error with 999 ping when I moved it to a vm so there is surely something I can do.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Update: I believe the problem was port forwarding incorrectly. I was trying to forward a range, but I must've done it wrong. I then forwarded each port individually and it worked. I still get the error but ping is normal and playable. I had a 999 ping error but rejoined the room and it worked.

Upvote 0
Back