• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[HDD q]Linux saved my butt... again.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So my 1TB HDD was broke again and I sent it to guarantee again. Now I'm on removable 40GB HDD with Linux on it.

Why Linux? Because apparently Windoz does not installs in removable-USB drives.

My q is. What may be the reasons why my HDD is broking for like second time. Only 1 month passed since first crash.

Reaction score
because you are using our computer wrong,
i am assuming this

you have windows installed on the same disk, you have all your games installed on the same disk, you download movies, games and other crap on the same disk. maybe you even try mmoprg servers on the same disk.

point is - a hard disk while versatile it is better to stick to one thing per disk. i have had about 5-7 hard disk fail. now i keep my windows on a separate physical drive that means one 650gb hdd just windows no other programs. my program files are redirected to another physical hard disk. my documents are on another physical hard disk and my downloads are once again on another physical hard disk.

that means i am using 4 hard disks just so nothing breaks.
its expensive but its a lot faster and safer than everything beiing on a single disk.

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
because you are using our computer wrong,
i am assuming this

you have windows installed on the same disk, you have all your games installed on the same disk, you download movies, games and other crap on the same disk. maybe you even try mmoprg servers on the same disk.

point is - a hard disk while versatile it is better to stick to one thing per disk. i have had about 5-7 hard disk fail. now i keep my windows on a separate physical drive that means one 650gb hdd just windows no other programs. my program files are redirected to another physical hard disk. my documents are on another physical hard disk and my downloads are once again on another physical hard disk.

that means i am using 4 hard disks just so nothing breaks.
its expensive but its a lot faster and safer than everything beiing on a single disk.

Heh, funny.
If you would tell me this IRL I would prolly answer "Do I look like a noob?" :)

Nothing of that is true. I have 1 game (WoW). Some programs (Compilers and stuff). And ALOT music.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Well its really not that important t have all your s..t in diffrent drives if you can handle one disc well.

And if your HDD disk keeps failing on you and you have deep pockets get a reliable SSD.

- PhOeNiX~

Supreme Arcanarch
Loyal Member
Reaction score
still everything is on a single drive, and torrenting or emuling music fragments those little files..

and yes you are a noob.

You are kind of idiot though.

If there is an HDD for using then it is for using. It is like buying a Bugatti car and drive for 60km/h just because it might overheat it's engine.

I see that yourself are using QC processor and GeForce 8800 GTX and still having DX 9.
Why bother to buy DX 10 compatible GPU and using DX 9.

I am guessing that people like you, who only plays MMO's really don't understand anything about PC's. Why? Because bad blocks can NEVER be caused by USING my hardrive for whatever reasons.

Reaction score
its not bad block you ignorant fool :)
extreme data fragmentation causes the head to jump like crazy all over the place if enough thrashing happens something somewhere breaks, the head cant read the data and jumps to the last read sector and starts again - this is indicated by beeping or clicking, then hard drives fail.

bad blocks are very rare these days because manufacturing process has advanced so far.

dx10 was supposed to be the savios of stream processors and give us unpresedented performance and graphics quality with instancing and parallel processing.
none of this is true - i wont enjoy my games at 12fps dx10 - dx9 works why fix it ?

i dont only play mmos and i understand a fair bit about pc's

grow up. seriously you have nothing to prove here and you wont prove anything, just grow up.

Well its really not that important t have all your s..t in diffrent drives if you can handle one disc well.

And if your HDD disk keeps failing on you and you have deep pockets get a reliable SSD.

- PhOeNiX~

ssds although have improved, wont overtake conventional hard disks for another 3-5 years because of the read/write cycle degradation on flash based storage.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Omen whi are you being so hostal? I just sayd that IF you have a lot of money get an SSD. And if he sayd that hes HDD faild him in 1 moth than it cant be bad fragmention, it just wont work that fast, it must have been a bad disk or physical damage.

- PhOeNiX~

Back