• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Help/Tips] Planning to start a game.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm planning to start a game with a good friend, and was wondering if anyone knew any good game engines we could start with?

We're trying to create a Maplestory like game but we don't know what type of engine to search for, any ideas?

Thanks,
Sparrow

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Good game engines?
Well, first of all, what language?

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
C++ dude ;)

So you'll need good C++ knowledge, I hope you have that already or ask me for a good tutorial I have the best source.

Then I just made a thread about the best libraries, to start a 2D game, I advice you DarkGDk, again, I have a good tutorial source on youtube.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of C++ knowledge, my friend has that so I was going to learn it further. But wow, thanks man. Exactly what I was looking for. Is it hard to use?

Also, one more question sorry. Are your tutorials based on C++ or Dark GDK?

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
DarkGDK is really easy to use, just serach on youtube "helpfullprogramer".
If you have like, basic C++ knowledge (only functions, operators and such) you will pretty much understand every code he writes.

The tutorial is based on DarkGDk AND C++ really, it uses a lot of DGDK's functions. I think your friend will figure it out easily.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks dude. I'll do that tomorrow after school.
Oh and thanks again, you really helped :)

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
There's always or any number of other free engines. Then there are a few game dev platforms (Microsoft's is XNA, for example).

x42

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Even tho I'm not much of a .net programmer my personal favorite is XNA/C#. DarkGDK seems very nice tho I never done any game project in C++ except for some platformers using allegro library. Now, if you want something super simple - Gamemaker (YoYo Games). As far as 2D games go.. GM can make them just fine.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
What about Microsoft's "Kodo Game Lab" :)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
kaido Game engine is what i like. i've heard a humor the game blade and soul was made by kaido

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Those last comments are more like "game makers" and needs only time but no coding and such.

Coding is harder, but way better for improvements are really have no limits at all, C++ is the more powerful language and you can do ANYTHING with it.

(oO (||||) (||||) Oo)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not really a help or a tip, but make sure you don't use crappy engine. Honestly I know few games out there that have a good idea concept, but graphics or ui elements ruin the game. Just me personally I like somewhat good graphics, but nowdays with Aion, Tera, Rift, you gotta stand out somehow.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
lulz, theres tons.. I managed to turn my yoyogaming to an online game but it is poop rofl.

Back