• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[help] wifi router

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i get this averatec n1000 series ultraportable laptop.

i put it right next to an hp laptop.

the hp laptop discovers my linksys 54g router.

the averatec doesnt.

i get net stumbler and it still wont discover it!!!!

wtf is going on?

Reaction score
The wireless receiver on the Laptop must be really poop. Move it closer to the router. If it picks up the signal then that's the problem.

nothing you can do about it really... i think they sell external antennas but not sure, you may have to buy a WAP to extend the range.

Reaction score
Well first of all make sure that the wireless is indeed turned on (don't worry, it is a very common mistake with laptops that have built-in wireless). If it is, can it detect any other networks?

Also, how is the desktop connected wirelessly? If it is through a USB dongle, plug it into the laptop and see if you can use that to pickup the wireless signal. that will confirm that it is a problem with the built-in wireless. Otherwise use a crossover cable form the laptop to the PC ad enable internet sharing. Can the laptop use the net fro the desktop's wireless?

When did this problem start? is it a new router? new laptop? has the laptop been able ot previously connect and all of a sudden stopped?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
here is what happened...

it is WEP encrypted.

i have the key.

i went and bought this new laptop, since today when i brought it home it will not connect to the router or even discover it.

the hp laptop has an internal adapter just like the averatec.

without changing any settings my hp laptop still discovers it.

im confused... psp's can find it, i touch's can find it...

but the damn laptop cant!

Reaction score
The laptop's wireless will not automatically be on, there should be a physical switch of some sort on the laptop to turn it on and off. Are you sure it is on?

Also check in network connections ot make sure the wireless is not disabled / not installed.

Back