• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Help] Windows Missing a file, Does not boot

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I dont know how it happened but this has happened before and i fixed it but i dont remember how i did it, My Windows XP does not boot anymore this is the error i get.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
{Windows Root}\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I remember that you could take the file from the CD to fix it and i do have the CDs, but i dont know how to do that. Any help please?

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
sage

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I dont know how it happened but this has happened before and i fixed it but i dont remember how i did it, My Windows XP does not boot anymore this is the error i get.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:
{Windows Root}\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I remember that you could take the file from the CD to fix it and i do have the CDs, but i dont know how to do that. Any help please?

Try connecting the drive to another machine, if you have that option and simply put the file you're missing in the appropriate place on the drive (might want to make sure it's the right version of the file?). Otherwise try a bootdisk (floppy / cd) and adding the file to it, then simply copying it to your drive.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I cant even get to the recovery console... and i cant connect the hard drive to another machine. And when i try to boot windows from the CD it says..

Selected boot device not available
strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

Edit: Is it possible to reinstall windows to fix this? i dont care what i lose

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I finally got it working, but now i have another problem, i keep getting error reports non stop from "services.exe" and "windows explorer" they drop stop and my start button doesnt even open, i have saved all the files i want to save and sent them to this computer, how can i reinstal windows xp deleting EVERYTHING on that computer? Last time i reinstalled windows xp it didnt delete anything, and when i try to format it says the drive is already in use...

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Wow, that's very strange. Have you tried something as simple as a System Restore? If you are trying to boot off of the Windows CD and it's giving you trouble, make sure that your BIOS is set to boot off of your CD drive before your hard drive. If you are using a copied Windows CD then try to get a new copy or reburn it.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I cant format my compter..
Says disk is in use

I cant get into the bios..
I dont know how to get into it, but after i get in i know how to change the boot sequence.

I have Windows XP Professional SP2

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh dear, Hal.dll is the Hardware Abstraction Layer, without that your PC is screwed. You may aswell just format, unless you want to stick the drive into another pc, backup whatever you need then format.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Omg, lol. To format your computer you put the Windows CD ROM in the drive. Reboot and boot in "Boot from disc" mode. Then from there you go through some poop, delete the partition, it formats and install windows. Call the company who makes your computer and they'll be able to guide you through properly.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Thanks, ill try that, but for some reason im having so many problems today, i keep getting a "services.exe" error report, and if i send the error report, i get a "windows explorer" error report, and if i send that the comp freezes for 30 seconds and it goes in a loop...

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thats because your windows install is just about borked. If you dont know how to format go into safemode and go start -> run and type in sfc /scannow and put your windows disk into the drive and wait. That will replace all the windows files with non-corrupt copies.

Back