Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Help with the server I am releasing >> the no pay to win idea <<

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
So I will be looking to release a server (version 90 updated from solaxia) in the near future in hopes of creating a community that will last. I have broke down every possible aspect of game play and roads players will hopefully take but I still feel unsure about somethings about my ideas. I want to make everything perfect as a lot of people have expectations and I don't want to let people down. My aim is to create a server that is really close and I will try to get the community to interact and make friends. There is a reason behind the name and that will be revealed soon.

Project Be You: MapleBeu
Expected Open Beta Release Date: December 1, 2015
Official Release Date: December 18, 2015. (first day of winter break for a majority of Cali schools.)

First Concern:
No pay to win? Currently my idea on this is only allow rareNX to be obtained by donating but I still feel like that is unfair? How would I get donations though if nothing is offered? I'm stuck on this idea. I was thinking about making the rareNX obtainable by chance from events or hard JQs, but that might make it so some wouldn't want to donate then?

Second Concern:
Currently I have this idea under development for bossing where there is hell and heaven. The prequest will turn you into a sinner or angel and your mission is to go into the opposing location (angels into hell; sinners into heaven) and take down the boss (heaven: god; hell: devil) heaven will drop hats, tops and gloves where hell will give pants, shoes and capes. My idea with this is an end game economy. But I want to register players by HWID and IP to prevent people from going on new accounts and gaining access to both. How would I do this?

Third Concern:
Is my open beta time too long? I will inform players there will be a wipe so no surprises are there, but is this a good idea? Or should I just release right away?

Fourth:Do people really compete in Mu-Lung Dojo?
I currently have this completely uncoded but I wouldn't mind attempting to code this if people actually like to race? Should I do this? Is it worth it?

I will add more as I go, thanks for the help and time guys!

Loyalty
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you don't want Pay2Win, how are you going to fund your server? The idea of donation is there to keep a server alive

i don't think the donate option would have much entertainment given , users tend to ignore it . Face it , how many times have played a private server and how many times have you ever donated money?

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
First Concern:
No pay to win? Currently my idea on this is only allow rareNX to be obtained by donating but I still feel like that is unfair? How would I get donations though if nothing is offered? I'm stuck on this idea. I was thinking about making the rareNX obtainable by chance from events or hard JQs, but that might make it so some wouldn't want to donate then?

Imo having donor-exclusive nx isn't really pay2win, atleast in my experience it won't feel that way for the other players. I've played mutliple servers that had this concept and I never felt like I was missing out as a non-donor.

Second Concern:
Currently I have this idea under development for bossing where there is hell and heaven. The prequest will turn you into a sinner or angel and your mission is to go into the opposing location (angels into hell; sinners into heaven) and take down the boss (heaven: god; hell: devil) heaven will drop hats, tops and gloves where hell will give pants, shoes and capes. My idea with this is an end game economy. But I want to register players by HWID and IP to prevent people from going on new accounts and gaining access to both. How would I do this?

Maybe just restrict users to having one account? That's the safest and most simplistic way I think. Allowing multiple accounts usually leads to other problems anyway if players who can multi-client have an advantage over others. I don't think wizet ever intended people to use more than one acount.

Third Concern:
Is my open beta time too long? I will inform players there will be a wipe so no surprises are there, but is this a good idea? Or should I just release right away?

Depends on how confident you are in that everything is ready for release. If so, I'd say release right away.

I currently have this completely uncoded but I wouldn't mind attempting to code this if people actually like to race? Should I do this? Is it worth it?

From my experience lots of people do mu-lung-dojo if the rewards are appropriate for your server version. It's pretty much the official boss pq and superior to the hacky custom boss pqs some servers put together. But seeing how popular boss pq usually is, mu-lung-dojo could definitely be an attractive feature. There also aren't that many servers with old-style mu-lung dojo.

Overall your server sounds pretty good and I'll definitely be checking it out when it releases, good luck with everything!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I suggest being financially stable enough to pay for a server out of your own pocket before opening up a server, if you can't pay for the server with donated money one month, then what? Don't put players through losing all their hard work because you weren't able to pony up the cash to run a server. As for incentives for players to donate, anything cosmetic is fair to other players.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
If you don't want Pay2Win, how are you going to fund your server? The idea of donation is there to keep a server alive

Many players, including myself, have been in the position where no matter how hard they work, donors will always be one step ahead. I hated that feeling and I kind of don't want to have that imposed on potential long term players.

I suggest being financially stable enough to pay for a server out of your own pocket before opening up a server, if you can't pay for the server with donated money one month, then what? Don't put players through losing all their hard work because you weren't able to pony up the cash to run a server. As for incentives for players to donate, anything cosmetic is fair to other players.

My servers run on linux so everything is fairly cheap. My host is 20 USD a month and its 8 gb and unlimited bandwidth with 500gb+ ddos protection. My web host is free as I know the provider and GTOP is 15.

not a programmer
Reaction score
Many players, including myself, have been in the position where no matter how hard they work, donors will always be one step ahead.
Not if you make it only cosmetic items for sale for donations like MapleStory was originally planned.

That one pokemon thing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Many players, including myself, have been in the position where no matter how hard they work, donors will always be one step ahead. I hated that feeling and I kind of don't want to have that imposed on potential long term players.

Okay so let me ask this differently.
How are you going to fund your server? Own investments (constantly because your income flow will be low, very low)

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Not if you make it only cosmetic items for sale for donations like MapleStory was originally planned.

This is originally what I was planning, but I wanted to wait until the v83 client was completed so I could use it to read a private encryption so my wz edits wouldn't be stolen.

Okay so let me ask this differently.
How are you going to fund your server? Own investments (constantly because your income flow will be low, very low)

I see the point in this, thanks for the help. I will most likely give out items that are style or guild system based. Maybe guild pvp, is that op?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Code it semi gms like with the belt and it's worth it. People will always want to own that belt, so every time it expires they will keep doing the dojo to be number 1 and win it

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi,

I used to own maplestory server in 2009-2010.

I like your idea.

I would like to cover all costs of the server.
I would also like to put some money to marketing and advertising.

Please contact me if you are interested.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
Any updates on this? very bored rn and looking for a server to play

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Any updates on this? very bored rn and looking for a server to play

Beta got pushed back because I was studying for finals. (In AP[advanced placement] classes, we normally don't have finals; this year I did. It was a bit unexpected. I have begun development again and I plan on being in beta very soon! Sorry to keep you waiting.

Back