• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

How to Edit EFF Files?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I want to know if EFF files can be edited, what program should I use to edit it?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes they can be editted, the files themselves are part of the set up for custom glows. Most straightforward program to use HxD as the format itself is not hard to figure out.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
can I edit it using 010 editor too? and can you give me a link for HxD?. you're right about the glows, that is what I am after for.

Never mind about the HxD hex editor link.. I already found one. btw can you teach me the basics on editing EFF files?

Upvote 0
Leech feeder.
Reaction score
Look for my posts. i had a release of all the strs etc like 2 years ago.

It also includes a strs for EFF files. The strs is mostly self explanatory.

Only thing you need to keep in mind, that saving it with datedit sometimes puts tons of empty data at the end of the file you need to remove.

Upvote 0
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I can identify the spots to edit by just looking at them in HxD, to me they really stick out so I don't use strs. Because I do new particles in order, majority of the time I just add 1 to a single spot in the last file I did then save it as a new eff.

If they don't stick out to you, this is lifestream's str from the release he was talking about. Just would need to change it a little to use it in 010.

Code:
enum EFFECTWAVETYPE{ 
    NONE=0,
    ENV=1,
    SCROLL=2,
    ENVWAVE=3
}

[filemask="*.eff"]

struct EffectFile
{
  calc FileSize [value=FileSize];
  calc BlockSize [value=SizeOf(EffectBlock)];
  calc BlockCount [value=FileSize/BlockSize];
  child EffectBlock [count=BlockCount];
}

struct EffectBlock [preload=1]
{
u16 Size [readonly];
u8  [tag="version"];
cstr [len=20] TextureName1;
cstr [len=20] TextureName2;
cstr [len=20] TexturePath;
u8 [tag="EnvMapping"];
u8 [tag="GlassEffect"];
u8 [tag="Wave"];
u8 [tag="Wave2"];
u32 [tag="WaveDelay"];
float [tag="BlendFactor"];
float [tag="WaveSpeed"];
u8 [tag="SwapTexture"];
u8 [tag="TextureAlpha"];
u8 [tag="Light"];
enum8 EffectType1[enum=EFFECTWAVETYPE];
enum8 EffectType2[enum=EFFECTWAVETYPE];
float [tag="x ID1"];
float [tag="y ID1"];
float [tag="z ID1"];
u32 ParticleID1;
float [tag="x ID2"];
float [tag="y ID2"];
float [tag="z ID2"];
u32 ParticleID2;
float [tag="x ID3"];
float [tag="y ID3"];
float [tag="z ID3"];
u32 ParticleID3;
float [tag="x Entity"];
float [tag="y Entity"];
float [tag="z Entity"];
u32 [tag="EntityID"];
float [tag="FlickerFactor"];
cstr [len=20] ObjectName;
u32 [tag="---"];
}

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Look for my posts. i had a release of all the strs etc like 2 years ago.

It also includes a strs for EFF files. The strs is mostly self explanatory.

Only thing you need to keep in mind, that saving it with datedit sometimes puts tons of empty data at the end of the file you need to remove.

That Explains a Little..structorian is easily to read... but it will cost you time to remove those empty blocks using HeX... I know this is a little bit out of the blue, but i saw one of your tutorial about adding glows to items.. can you explain to me how index 621 became 2 6D or 6D 02 00 00... im not good in computing... thats why I hate numbers... a complete explanation might clear my mind... thank you in advance..

Upvote 0
Leech feeder.
Reaction score
it's decimal number (base 10 0 to 9) converted to hexadecimal (base 16 0 to F). use some online calculators etc to make it easier to convert or just use strs or 010.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
it's decimal number (base 10 0 to 9) converted to hexadecimal (base 16 0 to F). use some online calculators etc to make it easier to convert or just use strs or 010.

Great Info Thank you.. but I have one final Request.. since im too lazy.. can you post here a complete full name of the items in ItemEffectList?, since they are in hex and even if I found them on the Item.dat I dont know which item it is... glad if you share it to me..

Upvote 0
Leech feeder.
Reaction score
the cose in effectlist is the model code in item.dat, use strs for item.dat.

Upvote 0
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
the cose in effectlist is the model code in item.dat, use strs for item.dat.

Yeah Right...Thank you LifeStream you really are a life saver... From the model code I can get the Id code which is the Client Code for items.. and with that I can get its English name... :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

"Damn I never Thought of that in the First Place"

Upvote 0
Back