Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

How to use JRebel with Eclipse to never have to restart your server again

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In one of my guide, I teach you how to use Eclipse instead of the piece of poop that is Netbean and how to debug INSIDE of Eclipse.

Debugging makes uses of one of Java's feature called hot swapping which allows you to edit the body of methods while the java software is running, and see changes immediately. This is extremely nice for updating packets and/or fixing minor bugs on the fly.

But debugging has a catch. You are only and ONLY allowed to edit the body of methods. If you add a new method, new class etc. you need to redeploy because only method bodies are supported.

This is where JRebel comes into play. JRebel will allow you to add classes, fields, interfaces, etc. all at run time and allow you to use them immediately! JRebel is not free however, but I will show you how to get a free license, and legally that is.

First off, I am directing this tutorial at those who use Eclipse only, so make sure you read my other tutorial on using Eclipse for MapleStory development. (eclipse master race btw)

JRebel has a plugin for netbean too but I do not know how it work as I use it for Eclipse only, so you figure it out.

1. 1st, Open eclipse and in the menu at the top, go to Help > Install new software

2. In the "Work with:" text box, input this url:

You should see these 3 options showing up

8ysxCmu - How to use JRebel with Eclipse to never have to restart your server again - RaGEZONE Forums

Check the first one

NbwyIgX - How to use JRebel with Eclipse to never have to restart your server again - RaGEZONE Forums

3. Click next and then maybe next again and finish or some poop, I don't remember. I already have JRebel installed and I don't want to uninstall it because as you will see, it takes a bit of time to install. Just install it, it's easy and you only have to care about the next and finish button.

4. Once JRebel is installed to Eclipse, you can't use it yet. You need to give it a license. A JRebel license is usually 365$ for a year. But fear not, I will show you how to get a free social license.

In the menu at the top, head over to Help > JRebel config center

5. Move over to the Activation tab and click the social button. Click the connect with Twitter or Connect with Facebook button, since it's just easier this way.

6. Follow the instructions on their site. The only drawback from this free license is that once a month, they will auto post an advertisement on your facebook or twitter. Make a throwaway account if you really care that much. I used my twitter account which I don't use all that much anyways.

7. Once you have given them your Twitter/Facebook account, they'll give you a serial number­. Copy it and then paste it there

PfMsGCQ - How to use JRebel with Eclipse to never have to restart your server again - RaGEZONE Forums

(in eclipse, of course)

JRebel should recognize your license and active it for you after a few seconds.

8. Head back to the Overview tab and then look in the projects window, check the projects you want to activate JRebel for and that's it! You can now start programming with as little redeploys as possible.

9. Close the JRebel config center with this button (if that wasn't obvious enough)

UynauT - How to use JRebel with Eclipse to never have to restart your server again - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
very good tut oxy!!! finally some cool poop gets rlsed around here. quick question though, is there a way to invoke an individual method with jrebel?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
very good tut oxy!!! finally some cool poop gets rlsed around here. quick question though, is there a way to invoke an individual method with jrebel?

I don't know and I don't think so :eek:

not a programmer
Reaction score
There is no new social button in activation tab of new version though this works:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
There is no new social button in activation tab of new version though this works:

during the writing of this post, jRebel was the best option at that point. I highly recommend you use DCEVM now

Back