• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

If you had to convince someone in 10 or less words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I must say I respect Zaruna's opinion and do agree with the logic in some ways, now the delivery leaves a lot to be desired but some of the logic is palatable.

If someone is so convinced that life is so horrible, and will never change, to the point of suicide is the only option, there is nothing in 10 WORDS you can do to change that...it will take many YEARS of therapy and a DESIRE from the person to actually try and make it work.

MOST people that announce they are going to do it are truly crying out for help, because they do not really want to go through with it, or just want the attention. Most suicides that occur are completely random, friends and family are usually not even aware there is an issue.

As for the "strength of people", there is no template that states how emotionally strong people are, some are stronger than others....some break easier than others. I myself have been in the situation used as an example here....I was once homeless, thousands of miles away from any family, who couldn't afford to help even if they were 5 feet from me, with only the clothes on my back.

I stayed in a shelter for 3 weeks before landing a job at a car wash and getting my own place, 10 years later I now own 2 car washes.

Not once during my homeless bit did I even breathe a thought of ending it all...so generalizing people based on what their life like at that moment is not accurate. Being homeless is just YOUR worse case scenario.

----Edit----

On a side note....does no one here believe that a person is in control of their own destiny? Only they can make their life either livable or not? I understand there are times where mental issues are beyond your control, even in those cases sometimes people use the diagnosis as a crutch....

Just curious.

Only one that actually has a clue, thank you.

I also agree that the way I said things was, well. bad XD but it's just a really stupid thread. Less then 10 words just won't do, just talking about it won't do. People actually have to see another way out so that they won't go with the last option.

We all want to our friends to kill themselves and obviously don't want to help them...

What?

It won't fit
Loyal Member
Reaction score
o_O

That's a horrible translation lol

Pretty accurate actually, I was thinking almost 1:1 after reading these last few replies.

With that being said. I'm a huge advocate of "if they want to die, let em". The way I see it. It's their life, regardless of what's wrong with them, it's how they were born. If they want to blow their brains out, then by all means. Don't let me stop you. Just make sure you don't make a mess. Someone has to clean up after you. I've thought about it, almost a daily routine at this point. No one knows though, because I'd likely be deem "crazy", so I keep it to myself. If I do happen to take my .40 and put one through my head. I'll do so in a manner that leaves less of a mess to clean up.

I.E people kill themselves for various reasons, one guy did it because he was bored of life. Another did it because he lost everything. It's not black and white, nor is there a blanket big enough to put over the wide range of cases there'd been up til now.

OnTopic:
If you're sure, go ahead. Don't leave a mess.

Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well...there's variables...if children are involved..I mean it is your life, but if you have children they depend on you.

Voyager of Time and Space
Reaction score
Everyone obviously has different approaches, But y'all already know we don't our friends to commit suicide.<br>Though most people here def. have a point- a soft approach is always good for someone in deep depression.

That one pokemon thing
Loyal Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't know why so many people dislike the comments made by Zaruna. Someone who leaves a notice of killing him- or herself is someone who wishes to be stopped and does not want to die, but doesn't know any other way.
Other than the notices, you can't stop someone who's suicidal with 10 words, you might not be able to stop someone with a thousand. These organisations who try to stop suicides are merely stalling them and stuffing the people with medication that is supposed to help, but takes all their personality away, because it's 'kind'. Good job, an individual became a hard working plant. Instead of therapy or medication, a suicidal person has to be shown that there are people that care for the person and that he/she is needed and loved by others. A suicide is the ultimate decision and perhaps the easiest for the person in action to perform, but the weakest. A person is capable of enduring the hardships in this poop and biased world, but shouldn't be pushed to this extend. Why does someone arrive at the point of suicide? It is because in a long timespan, the person was shown that the world doesn't need him/her. Rejection, Underachieving, Loss of a friend or sibling, etc, are things that need time to heal and everyone has their own way of dealing with such events. If they follow up after eachother, it will result in depression and eventually, after a long time, death. Of course, not everyone has to experience such a result. Humans are identical. One might have a stronger will than another and will not be broken that easily, which is what I think Supicioso means.

I currently am dealing with someone who is suicidal and has attempted to take his life two times now, of which I wasn't present at the first attempt. The second however made clear that he didn't want to die, but couldn't find any other way to get rid of the constant pain. I've talked with him for 3 hours straight to get him out of it and I would do it again any other day.

I am pretty dissapointed seeing this wishful thinking here and the ignorance that different people may have different perspectives. A suicide differs per person. You can't label people and you can't decide for anyone what they should think or do. This grew out into a discussion, not a one-sided bullying.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
If there's a will there's a way. Just find one for that person. If the person is serious. Then they need serious help. They need to reach out and talk to people who care about them regardless of who they are:

You honestly gotta care at least somewhat. Or I lose all respect for you. Have some morality please. And don't judge people. It's just not worth it.

Your life is number 1 priority. Fight for your life, and people who are suicidal. Fight for theirs too. If you don't, that guilt will crawl into you once their dead. And you will always think of what could've been. And that's not an option.

EDIT:

If you need friends. Or need care. Find some1 that is caring. And reach out to people. If you wanna talk to anyone on these forums, you could probably message 10 of them, and I'm sure one of them would let you talk to them. Me included.

Suicide is a serious thing. I wouldn't take it lightly. But anyway. that's my opinion.

Also. There's no rhyme or reason to it. It just happens. Just like how war is without rhyme or reason. And many other things.

Last edited:
Permanent Lurker
Reaction score
Well, if someone has really given up on life and really wants to die.. i would say.. "Go ahead, i'll take care of the funeral works.."

edit: well, its a CRIME to commit suicide in my country, there is next to zero chance of someone being able to say anything close to persuading someone from suicide.

the only time that i actually heard someone does that, its a reassuring gesture to someone else who has 4th stage lung cancer, standing on top of the hospital roof, with huge debts from bills and loans, and not wanting to burden his family, he jumped.

The person who reassure him paid for his funeral and works, and then was charged in court and jailed for assisting in suicide.

I had a few old people tell me that they wished to die, but the law and the country NOT only do not want to let them die, but keep letting them pile up bills and debts which non of them nor their family can pay. They often say that this type of living, is worse than death.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
My mum got to a point where she was going to commit suicide. Me and dad were by her side the whole time reminding her reasons to live. We got a dog, and his companionship is what pulled her back. Billi is more than just a pet, Billi saved my mum.

So yeah, telling my mum to stop being a lil witch didn't work.

Voyager of Time and Space
Reaction score
I love how some of you are disliking posts you simply don't like/hate, Obviously everyone had a different pace in life, Some have a tough way of showing that they care because that's what they also got- not everyone had that' loving and caring person to talk to/depend-on at their very emotional state.
But obviously we care because we've been there.
Cyndaquil
Kind of Childish, You do know that this thread was made for opinions right?

Reaction score
My mum got to a point where she was going to commit suicide. Me and dad were by her side the whole time reminding her reasons to live. We got a dog, and his companionship is what pulled her back. Billi is more than just a pet, Billi saved my mum.

So yeah, telling my mum to stop being a lil witch didn't work.

You clearly didn't read. I said that's to the people who use it to attention seek, which is mostly the case when they let a person know they're thinking of doing it. For a person that's really considering it, less then 10 words would never work. Is there a reason for me to reply to this thread with less then 10 words for people who are actually that far gone? Ofcourse not, it's ridiculous thinking less then 10words would do, less then 100words won't do either.

I can't even imagine someone getting to that stage. Not to be offensive to your mother, but she has a daughter, she has a husband yet a dog turned her life around? To those people harsh words would actually do the trick, they got to snap out of it, life is a gift. Don't get weak minded and think of taking your own away, while others beg and pray for their loved ones to have a long and healthy life.

As LordDemon asked : Since when is misery a competition? Some people suicide being bullied at school, do you think that's misery? As I said before, alot of people are weak, but for them to do it would to strong people never be a reason to do it... So no, not a competition. it's just that people end it for idiotic reasons, and if they were to live on in heaven or w/e you people believe in, they'd probably regret it real fast.

@severithe : Don't worry about the dislikes, his circle of friends are 10-18 year old Fiesta players, 80% of it is emo and probably wrote on skype that they're about to kill themselfs and now feel he got experience. Sorry sir, but everyone knows those kind of people, usually girls. They feel like the world is against them once a week.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You clearly didn't read. I said that's to the people who use it to attention seek, which is mostly the case when they let a person know they're thinking of doing it. For a person that's really considering it, less then 10 words would never work. Is there a reason for me to reply to this thread with less then 10 words for people who are actually that far gone? Ofcourse not, it's ridiculous thinking less then 10words would do, less then 100words won't do either.

I can't even imagine someone getting to that stage. Not to be offensive to your mother, but she has a daughter, she has a husband yet a dog turned her life around? To those people harsh words would actually do the trick, they got to snap out of it, life is a gift. Don't get weak minded and think of taking your own away, while others beg and pray for their loved ones to have a long and healthy life.

As LordDemon asked : Since when is misery a competition? Some people suicide being bullied at school, do you think that's misery? As I said before, alot of people are weak, but for them to do it would to strong people never be a reason to do it... So no, not a competition. it's just that people end it for idiotic reasons, and if they were to live on in heaven or w/e you people believe in, they'd probably regret it real fast.

@severithe : Don't worry about the dislikes, his circle of friends are 10-18 year old Fiesta players, 80% of it is emo and probably wrote on skype that they're about to kill themselfs and now feel he got experience. Sorry sir, but everyone knows those kind of people, usually girls. They feel like the world is against them once a week.
I'm not getting into a discussion about why my mother decided to not kill herself but having something to mother again probably gave her something to live for.
I was mearly stating that just saying "stop being a lil witch" wasn't going to help her.
I didn't tag you so I was hardly targeting my comment to you, just using your comment as an example.

Suicide is horrible. Not for the person committing it, but the witnesses and family members, and potentially others they will kill in the process. No one should feel like they should kill themselves, however no one should feel its the only way out. There is always a way to fix things, which is what happened in my mums state.

Last edited:
Pessimistic butt@%&!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Just a few questions out of curiosity:

If someone is in so much physical pain that they want to die because living is a worse prospective, do you think that's an OK scenario? I mean if there is nothing that can be done about it...like cancer...have 2 months to live but in severe agony and sick to the point of death from Chemo.

Does anyone believe depression and emotional agony is any less to the point that it provides a quick and painless end to something someone sees as equal to physical agony?

Last question: Does anyone believe that friends and family (outside of little children that still need support) have selfish reasons for wanting to stop said person from taking their own life? IE: What will I do without you? I will miss you. ect ect.

These are questions out of my curiosity and not aimed at anyone in particular or based off any examples used within this thread.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

If someone is in so much physical pain that they want to die because living is a worse prospective, do you think that's an OK scenario? I mean if there is nothing that can be done about it...like cancer...have 2 months to live but in severe agony and sick to the point of death from Chemo.

Does anyone believe depression and emotional agony is any less to the point that it provides a quick and painless end to something someone sees as equal to physical agony?

Last question: Does anyone believe that friends and family (outside of little children that still need support) have selfish reasons for wanting to stop said person from taking their own life? IE: What will I do without you? I will miss you. ect ect.

These are questions out of my curiosity and not aimed at anyone in particular or based off any examples used within this thread.

If the person is close to dieing, yeah that's a whole different story. If its cancer or something, it really depends. If you can get away with it, I had a friend who had it real bad. And he just took pain meds as much as he could until he passed away. Probably did pot too. Then you have like war, where some1 loses all his blood from like a grenade or something. And is gonna bleed to death unless you put him out of his or her misery.

Cancer is sad. You can do 500k worth of operations, and it just ends up making u worse off then when you started. So some just say hey i'll just live it out, and not do anything. And that's understandable too.

I'd agree there's some similarities here. Physical vs mental agony. In front line war you're bound to have both. Mental can be pretty bad too. Say you have a mental disorder like Schizophrenia, or etc. And that drives you into deep depression.

But putting some1 out of their misery vs suicide. Is a big difference you'd have to explore.
Idk enough about mental agony to talk about it. But if it can be helped. Time hopefully will help it. But for those with mental disorders, they may be the same as they were when it started.

Heh. Alzhiemers and Dementia patients are a sorry lot. Some don't even speak anymore. They don't remember what happened yesterday. Families don't trust centers to keep care of em. And many of them might be better off dead. Or at least you might think so. People that have it really bad. They are like children, and can't even remember anything or speak. But hey we give them the benefit of life, and to keep going regardless of how they are.

It's very sad.

I can't think of any state of mind, where suicide is justifiable really. Because there's always a chance of change for that mind to something other than the current state. I'd argue you have to see professionals and at least try out some things to help them first. It depends really. I'm not totally sure about this. I could be wrong. I'd seek out professional opinion on that.

This subject is very Tentative. And subject to change based on circumstance.
Selfish:
Probably yeah. But it shouldn't be. But those kinds of feelings will come into it. But if you said that to the person that'd be very selfish of you. I wouldn't want to make that person feel bad. Anyway. circumstantial again.

EDIT:

I think you'd need to talk to professionals to answer some of those questions.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I think when they're in such pain and their end is near anyway, I don't see why it wouldn't be ok, they're going in peace, sortoff.

Depression or emotional so hard for me to answer to, I think noone can imagine that unless you've had that at one point. But it obviously changes the way of seeing life. But in most cases with help that can be solved, so helping such people to find their way out would be the only option, not being ok with them ending it.

To the last question, it all depends on in which state the person is in, > emotional, not selfish because there is a way out. If a person is in such pain descriped in your first question, then I think the family/friends who really care for that person, would be selfish to not let them go. It should hurt more to see your loved one in such pain then it would hurt to know the pain is over now.

Reaction score
I love how some of you are disliking posts you simply don't like/hate, Obviously everyone had a different pace in life, Some have a tough way of showing that they care because that's what they also got- not everyone had that' loving and caring person to talk to/depend-on at their very emotional state.
But obviously we care because we've been there.
@Cyndaquil
Kind of Childish, You do know that this thread was made for opinions right?

Yes and I respect that fully. But from what he wrote, it was more a less what he meant.

Reaction score
Yes and I respect that fully. But from what he wrote, it was more a less what he meant.

No you don't, I didn't dislike any post even if it wasn't how I felt about it. and noone has even slightly wrote that they don't care if their friends commit suicide and wouldn't bother helping them if they do find out.

But that's what the dislike button is for I guess, can't discuss so click a button. You should stay out of this topic, it's obvious you really got no clue about it anyway, other then claiming you got experience I don't see it in any of your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back