Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Intel Shows Off 2 TFLOPS Processor

Reaction score
INTEL'S ANNUAL Research@Intel Day here in Santa Clara kicked off in high gear, with Chipzilla letting out boffins from the lab to see the light of day. Intel has its fair share of "Blue Sky" projects but probably the most impressive is from its Tera Scale Computing group of projects. After demonstrating 80-core silicon in Beijing, brave researchers have now polished the cooling component and tweaked the silicon, so now the performance reaches two TeraFLOPS when these 80 floating-point mini-cores are working at no less than 6.26GHz. The Interesting thing about this demo was the fact that these cores achieve 1TFLOPS at 3.13GHz and at that clock, power consumption is only 24 Watts, while for double more, 6.26GHz eats up more th157 Watts.

NoPeace - Intel Shows Off 2 TFLOPS Processor - RaGEZONE Forums

80-core processor lived through many improvements from IDF Spring in Beijing

NoPeace - Intel Shows Off 2 TFLOPS Processor - RaGEZONE Forums

6.26 GHz yield 2TFLOPS... or how academia people will be dancing around the table when this comes to life

In idle, only four out of 80 cores are working, at 3.13GHz and they consume only 3.32 Watts, meaning that one FP unit eats only 0.83W at 3.13 GHz.

Now, here's the big kicker for this demo. Currently, this project is actually split in two: one project is currently integrating x86 cores into an massive 80-core monster, while another project is actually stacking of SRAM and DRAM memory on top of this Tera-Scale processing monster. When that happens, cache memory will have bandwidth measured in hundreds of gigabytes per second.

This very impressive stuff has only one real problem when "coming to life" part is concerned. With X86 cores onboard, this CPU would simply, without any doubt whatever, slaughter the Itanic like there's no tomorrow.

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The power consumption ratio on that seems hilarious, but that is one beastly chip.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
*starring and thinking"i want those puppies" *

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
but still the price for the average consumer wil be oh so high so theese will mainly be in renderfarms and large servers

Reaction score
but still the price for the average consumer wil be oh so high so theese will mainly be in renderfarms and large servers

You do know this processor is intended to also compete with AMD fusion? So... It will be used with the average user.

I really can't wait to see what the final product is.

I can really see this being brought down to the 120w range of the current high end chips.

Though having 1 teraflop of power at just 24w is amazing. Never would have though I could see a laptop pushing that much power. O.O

nVidia's top of the line CUDA boxes push 2 teraflops (using 4x G80s) and that damn thing uses over 800w of power. Now this is something truely amazing.

Right now you'll need to use 250w+ just to push the 1 teraflop barrier (excluding the cost of power for the rest of the system).

NoPeace - out

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score
You do know this processor is intended to also compete with AMD fusion? So... It will be used with the average user.

I really can't wait to see what the final product is.

I can really see this being brought down to the 120w range of the current high end chips.

Though having 1 teraflop of power at just 24w is amazing. Never would have though I could see a laptop pushing that much power. O.O

nVidia's top of the line CUDA boxes push 2 teraflops (using 4x G80s) and that damn thing uses over 800w of power. Now this is something truely amazing.

Right now you'll need to use 250w+ just to push the 1 teraflop barrier (excluding the cost of power for the rest of the system).

NoPeace - out
i cant wait to see the prices on both AMD and INtels chips 1200$ maybe

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You notice they had it hooke dup to a real small watercooled block.. with the low wattage of that thing, you coudl use a cutrate baseline air cooled system and still be jsut fine at the wattage they are running.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Don't forget that's the aggregate capacity of 80 cores. Each core is only contributing ~25GFLOPS, at 6.xx GHz that's 4 floating-point instructions per clock, not bad.

But only special software can take advantage of that, whereas with a single or dual-core processor performance increases linearly.

Reaction score
You notice they had it hooke dup to a real small watercooled block.. with the low wattage of that thing, you coudl use a cutrate baseline air cooled system and still be jsut fine at the wattage they are running.

Well... It was showcaseing it running at 6+ ghz and at 150w. Not the one running at 3 ghz and 24w. =P

At 150w water cooling is really needed to keep it cool. Even at 130w. A good air cooler struggles. Hence why it's so hard to overclock a QX6700 over 3.0-3.2ghz with out water.

NoPeace - out

Back