• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Internet Problem

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why my net is so rubbish? I got an download speed of 30mb but when I download files/etc it runs 400kb/s

Anyone know the problem of this? I am really confused about it especially when I am downloading big files, it take me ages. I am using a wifi internet, btw.

I am hoping to see, 'suggestions and helps' to fix my net problem :*:

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
do some tests with an ethernet cable just a suggestion. and power cycle your modem.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Are you connected wirelessly via Wireless N, or is it B/G? Huge difference in speed vs the two. Also do as the suggested above post, and try using an ethernet cable to confirm that it isn't your wireless acting up.

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
@EliteGM: Virgin Media is the host of my net. Is it good or bad?

@Jiro: Ethernet cabled is connected. Idk what power cycle your telling me. Can you explain it further more because I am not too good about internet stuff.

@Sardaukar: My laptop is connected wireless but my iMac connectec with ethernet cable but still 400-600kb/s of the download when I am dl'ing something.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
A power cycle is turning off your modem for 10 seconds and turning it back on. A cycle. Have you tries downloading a file not a speed test from a server located near you? Cause it could just be the hosts your downloading from.

Reaction score
@EliteGM: Virgin Media is the host of my net. Is it good or bad?

@Jiro: Ethernet cabled is connected. Idk what power cycle your telling me. Can you explain it further more because I am not too good about internet stuff.

@Sardaukar: My laptop is connected wireless but my iMac connectec with ethernet cable but still 400-600kb/s of the download when I am dl'ing something.

Not what I meant - I mean the website you're downloading from. Try downloading a file with a premium RapidShare account, you'll get a more realistic view of your max d/l speed. My Speedtest (10-12mbit) d/l speed coincides with my RS download speed (800-1.2mb/s)

If you were hoping to download at 30mb/s, I must disappoint you because that is not how it works.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, for starters we shoudl also que you on basic internet provider speeds.

They run standard mega-bits, not mega-bytes - which means you have to take your current cap speed of 30mbps and divide that by 8 to reduce it to megabytes, which will equate to 3.75mbps cap download speed - which you will probably never get.

Then to push that, the otehr part to learn is basic internet dynamics - you are only as fast as the slowest connection. If, for say, I had an internet NID between you and wherever youw ere downloading, and I was running a single T1 line (oldschool), you would be limited at roughly ~200-400k download speed because of my interface.

This is why an internet backbone is so crucial to internet speeds, which is why I am insanly jealous of anyone live in eastern Europe, or many of the other countries which didnt pioneer the internet and copper cabling.

America sucks in this retrospect, our largest land lines for backbones are located up and down each coast, with very few in between our country - most of what we have is limited by cable or copper landlines.

Google is actually paying to have fiber backbones installed on the east coast, and will eventually be moving to the west coast to help push the government away from our crappy backbone setup and get us into current times.

Can't kilean the zilean
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the national broadband network nbn in Australia. My internet speed is horibly poop, 156kb/s max download speed. I needs get new internet

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not sure though, because some people who are downloading what I am download are the same but they are quicker than me. They only got 5mb in their dl speed and mine is 30mb :S , in mediafire btw even official games still slow download..

I don't really know what's the prob on it, if I got 30mb dl speed, I should get 30mb/s when download too, isn't?

If no one can help me about this, I still thank you guys for replying and trying to sort my poop net problem.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not sure though, because some people who are downloading what I am download are the same but they are quicker than me. They only got 5mb in their dl speed and mine is 30mb :S , in mediafire btw even official games still slow download..

I don't really know what's the prob on it, if I got 30mb dl speed, I should get 30mb/s when download too, isn't?

If no one can help me about this, I still thank you guys for replying and trying to sort my poop net problem.

Internet connection speeds are generally measured in Mbit/s. You still have to divide that number by 8 to get your real world download speed in MByte/s. In your case it's 30/8=3,75.

So 3,75MB/s would theoretically be the max for your line. 99% of the time people will never get those speeds during downloads. The main reason for this is the distance between your house and your ISP/Network hubs in the area.

This still doesn't justify the 400kb/s you're getting though. I'd suggest contacting your ISP and have them run some tests on your connection.

Last edited:
Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ok Alfons mate, i'll try to contact them. I already told my mom about it though but he don't believe me. I am gonna call the VM workers about it.

Cheers!

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ok Alfons mate, i'll try to contact them. I already told my mom about it though but he don't believe me. I am gonna call the VM workers about it.

Cheers!

I'd say it is more of an issue with the download servers, as your ping is quite low your house must be close to the green box at the end of your street? That box is connected to the DC via fibre optics, so it is very fast. I am also on the 30MB package from VM, and my games on Steam download at 3.5 MB/s, which leads me to believe you are downloading from slow file servers :p

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
There should be a green box at the bottom of your street, this connects anyone on your street to your local VM datacentre via fibre optics :p That is why because you have a low ping, it is the download servers you are downloading from that are slow.

Flyff Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hmmm not sure about it, didn't see one a green box you're talking about yet but maybe I'll try to ask the technician about what is the real problem of our net though.

Still thanking.

Back