• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Is there away to use dynamic ip instaed Static

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe in the Legacy
Reaction score
Hi made a server 2 months back but cant use it because Ive got dynamic ip.
I was just woundering if anyone has found a way around it (apart from a script/progy which I have no idea how to write (RudyMartins idea) :)

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
Hi made a server 2 months back but cant use it because Ive got dynamic ip.
I was just woundering if anyone has found a way around it (part from a script which I have no idea how to write (RudyMartins idea) ?

I dont know about others and about xDSL in other countries. In my country, IP addresses are *assigned* and period. Its not like a DUN where you can force an specific IP.

The script you mention its for the client side, and its not an script, its a fragment of code to be compiled under VB. For the server side, another program must be compiler or, if you are skilled at grep's regexp, MS-DOS, and perhaps some extra tools (ndos?) , you can create an script to overwrite the appropiate ini files. It should be arround 10 lines of code and you will need some extra files.

all of this should be used when/if you get your server disconnected. and obviosly you must be there to run them. In ym country I get disconnected every 22 hours (according to my linux logs).

If I can gather a team of programmer we could develop tools like those and even more. I have some ideas for some other more advanced tools. Those will be hard to develop and test, but the reward may be great.

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
if you have some VB knowlegde heres the code you need.
(controls needed: winsock1, label1, and perhaps a command1)

Code:
sub form_load()
    winsock1.remotehost = "youra3.no-ip.org"
    winsock1.remoteport = 12345 ' just a fake port to connect

'  insert a delay here about 2 seconds should be fine
    '  using the time function or another
    ' if not you can place the following code under command1_click
    ' just to try it out.

label1.caption = winsock1.remoteip

end sub

also:
if you get disconnected at most 1 or 2 times per month, you can handle the server side at downtime hours (I sugest to have a weelky downtime).

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
btw eddi, I have told you this, you must consider how often you get disconnected. If you get disconnected at most 1 time per month, you may use the script for the clients and handle the server side at downtimes hours (ie: I suggest to have a weelky downtime)

Believe in the Legacy
Reaction score
Hi Rudy I said in first post about your idea :). I was just seeing if there was any advancment on this Topic.
My problem is I dont own any programming wisdom that could help me to do what you have said :(
So, I must wait till maybe som1 in this forum that knows about this sort of thing brings out a solution (I sound like a leecher) but without programming wisdom I cant do a thing.

And demonslasher thats one thing Ive not tryed maybe it would work :)
Thx to all for reply :)

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Just ring your ISP and ask for their price range of static (My ISP has free static, so I took that). No amount of programs will stop your IP from changing.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
Just ring your ISP and ask for their price range of static (My ISP has free static, so I took that). No amount of programs will stop your IP from changing.

I guess you live in USA or somewhere in the good Europe? Because in the rest of the world, extravagant things like static ip addresses are luxury items.

thats how matters stands. sorry.

edit: btw, my goal wasnt to convert the dynip into static, but to live.

Last edited:
Master Summoner
Reaction score
Hi Rudy I said in first post about your idea :). I was just seeing if there was any advancment on this Topic.
My problem is I dont own any programming wisdom that could help me to do what you have said :(
So, I must wait till maybe som1 in this forum that knows about this sort of thing brings out a solution (I sound like a leecher) but without programming wisdom I cant do a thing.

And demonslasher thats one thing Ive not tryed maybe it would work :)
Thx to all for reply :)

you never said how often you get disconnected. Once a day/week/month ?

I know my solutions may not sound elegant, I must live with such kind of solutions.

Master Summoner
Reaction score
The only way is to get your ISP to provide you a static IP. Cos you can't "freeze" the ip. They'll cut you off anyway.

L0n3r
Reaction score
a progamme that gives you a fix ip but qutie lag when there is alot player

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yes you can use dynamic ip, but you'll have to run the updater each time instead of bypassing it. Think, think! :)

Believe in the Legacy
Reaction score
well then im about to show you all theres another way =P

Rudy, I hope you can do it, if you need any help just pm me

I phoned my ISP but cost to much atm (Ive got a large family) and they come first.

My internet resets are iregular atm its all being upgraded till 02/07 so I must wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back