• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[jQuery] Border Radius

Reaction score
If you're a web developer, you're probably familiar with the border-radius feature in CSS3. In my opinion, it's a complete pain in the butt to write 5 lines of code to achieve the effect of curved borders, so I wrote a little JavaScript code that will do it for you.

It only took me 2 minutes so I don't really care about sharing it. Use as you wish.

Usage is very, very easy.

It can be used on any element on a web page and can be extended to support specified areas of the border, such as top-left etc if you have the time to do so.

Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
    <head>
        <title>JavaScript Border Radius</title>
        <script type="text/javascript" src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-latest.js"></script>
        <script type="text/javascript">
        $(function(){
            $("[data-border-radius]").each(function(i,a){
                var br = $(a).attr("data-border-radius");
                if ($.isNumeric(br)) {
                    $(a).css({
                        "border-radius": br + "px",
                        "-webkit-border-radius": br + "px",
                        "-moz-border-radius": br + "px",
                        "-o-border-radius": br + "px",
                        "-khtml-border-radius": br + "px"
                    });
                }
            });
        });
        </script>
    </head>

<body>
        <h3>Original</h3>
        <div style="background-color: #000000; height: 100px; width: 100px;"></div>

<hr />

<h3>JavaScript edit</h3>
        <div style="background-color: #000000; height: 100px; width: 100px;" data-border-radius="10"></div>
    </body>
</html>

Web & Interaction Design
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Good idea I suppose - but it's only really two lines you need now (border-radius, -moz-border-radius). :p:

Google my name...
Reaction score
Good idea I suppose - but it's only really two lines you need now (border-radius, -moz-border-radius). :p:

Not entirely true, in all the latest browsers CSS3 in supported to allow border-radius to work globally on all browsers, but this isn't the case for older browsers.

-moz-border-radius is for Mozilla Firefox while -webkit-border-radius is WebKit for Safari.

So actually it is required to keep the extra ones in at all times until you can guarantee that 100% of the users who visit your website have a browser that supports CSS3.

This is a good function, nice little addition to those who constantly set border radius' on their sites.

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

Web & Interaction Design
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I guess so but I'm not a fan of inline-styling as I find it ugly and I often cba to open my CSS file just to create a new rule for it. :p

I'm not suggesting inline styling, aha - that is a no-go! :p:

Not entirely true, in all the latest browsers CSS3 in supported to allow border-radius to work globally on all browsers, but this isn't the case for older browsers.

-moz-border-radius is for Mozilla Firefox while -webkit-border-radius is WebKit for Safari.

So actually it is required to keep the extra ones in at all times until you can guarantee that 100% of the users who visit your website have a browser that supports CSS3.

This is a good function, nice little addition to those who constantly set border radius' on their sites.

All the best,
Richard Komakech.

I'm aware - but I'm sure they're at a stage (minus IE) where they simply support 'border-radius'. Regardless, you're likely to need to implement some kind of fallback for older browsers unless you want to leave a majority (makes me cry, too) in the dark!

Reaction score
It's a nice trick and all, I just preffer having a nicely and well structured .css file instead and always keep that stuff in there instead though. I also try not to use Javascript in cases like this when it might not be necessary :).

Back