• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Linux recommendation

Reaction score
Ok, since I'm bored and it's summer I've finally decided to have a go at Linux...

So I'm looking for a recommendation on which Linux to get since I have 0 experiance.
I'm planning on either going dual boot or maybe if I can then just using a live cd.

I've heard of ubuntu/fedora/sabayon/gentoo but that doesn't mean much to me lol... I also know about wine/cedega.

Also seen Beryl which looks quite kool and I might use since I can just play about and learn at the same time ^^

PC specs: 2.13Ghz dual core, 1Gb ram (keep forgetting to buy more lol) so no real problems there I'd say.

Thanks for any replys in advance I'll prob check here tomorrow =)

Crash

SiK

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well if your just learning I would suggest Ubuntu or a variation of it like Knoppix. Although If you want to play around with Beryl easily go with Sabayon since it comes by default. (Beryl's eye candy becomes boring rather quickly)

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I would opt in a vote for Unbuntu as well, Free to download, and very user friendly.. gives you a ncie crash course, and has great functionality :)

Back