• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Looking to buy a new monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy a new monitor.
Now, there's a lot to choose from as with any product and I need your help.

I want to buy a 24" monitor, but that's really all I know. So, a few questions:

What exactly is the difference between LCD and LED? Is one superior to another or is the difference more personal opinion related?

I see a lot of stuff about dynamic resolution and stuff, how exactly would I measure that. What is good and what is 'bad'?

Most monitors have a response time of 5ms and some 2ms. Is the difference noticeable in real life experience?

Anything else I should know?

Now, another request; What monitor would you recommend for me?
I'm looking for one around 150 euro and might be able to top it to 200 euro.

It must support hdmi as I plan to also hook up my ps3 to it.

Thank you very much for taking your time to read and reply.

The one and only!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't even think the difference between 20ms and 2ms would be noticeable to the naked eye. The difference between LCD and LED is just the LCD is lit by fluorescent lamps and an LED screen is an LCD screen just with LED's instead of the fluorescent lamps.

I can't recommend a monitor within your budget, my personal choice of monitor would be one of the Samsung PLS panel's but they're something crazy like 700 euros​

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks.

I've been looking around for some reviews and monitors and I found this one: ProLite E2472HD-(B)1

I hadn't heard of Iiyama before but it seems an alright company. Your thoughts? Can I get better for 200 euro? ~ 255 USD.

Lol yeh, I cannot afford 700 on a monitor =3. That'd be my whole rig, accessories excluded.

Reaction score
If you're expecting to use multiple monitors in the near future I'd wait until you can purchase and set up both/all three at once. If you ever buy a second one you'll notice your older one is fading due to age. Even after the first month your monitors will start to fade with their brightness but you wont notice it until you have it side by side with a new one.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you're expecting to use multiple monitors in the near future I'd wait until you can purchase and set up both/all three at once. If you ever buy a second one you'll notice your older one is fading due to age. Even after the first month your monitors will start to fade with their brightness but you wont notice it until you have it side by side with a new one.

This isn't entirely true. Most reasons you can tell difference in brightness and such is due to technology difference. Some monitors used LED which is much more vibrant than an LCD monitor.

I just purchased two different monitors with the same specs and you can tell the difference in quality.

You are best off buying the same exact monitors rather than buying them at different times, if you feel you can find a monitor similar to the one you have later on down the road, great, it'll look the exact same as the one you purchased 5 years ago unless your older one is going out, but anyway.

It all depends on what you are ultimately looking to do.

Posted via iPhone using TapaTalk.

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm mainly looking for a new monitor because this one is pretty outdated (2005). Also, I'll be moving to a laptop next year since I need it for uni. Since I will have to carry that laptop around pretty much every day I choose to buy a 15.6" one. But to be able to enjoy gaming and well, pretty much because bigger is better =3 I wanted to buy a separate screen for on my desk. I am no hardcore FPS gamer, not a photographer/editor so it doesn't have to be top quality. But I do want the best bang for bucks.

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I'm not planning on using multiple monitors anytime soon, but I'll surely remember that.

Right now I have my eyes on a 23" IPS screen (lol, so much to chose from >_>). Seems to be a great screen for that kind of money.

Reaction score
This isn't entirely true. Most reasons you can tell difference in brightness and such is due to technology difference. Some monitors used LED which is much more vibrant than an LCD monitor.

I just purchased two different monitors with the same specs and you can tell the difference in quality.

You are best off buying the same exact monitors rather than buying them at different times, if you feel you can find a monitor similar to the one you have later on down the road, great, it'll look the exact same as the one you purchased 5 years ago unless your older one is going out, but anyway.

It all depends on what you are ultimately looking to do.

Posted via iPhone using TapaTalk.
Its kind of assumed to buy all three monitors.

I have three monitors, all the same model but bought at different times and the brightness is different on all three with identical settings because of age.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'm mainly looking for a new monitor because this one is pretty outdated (2005). Also, I'll be moving to a laptop next year since I need it for uni. Since I will have to carry that laptop around pretty much every day I choose to buy a 15.6" one. But to be able to enjoy gaming and well, pretty much because bigger is better =3 I wanted to buy a separate screen for on my desk. I am no hardcore FPS gamer, not a photographer/editor so it doesn't have to be top quality. But I do want the best bang for bucks.

Thanks for the tip, Ron. I'm not planning on using multiple monitors anytime soon, but I'll surely remember that.

Right now I have my eyes on a 23" IPS screen (lol, so much to chose from >_>). Seems to be a great screen for that kind of money.

What I would suggest for traveling purpose, is going with a 14" laptop, they are much better for traveling purposes. I use a 14" laptop daily and it is the perfect size, when I need to I use my docking station with dual 20" LCD monitors.

I would suggestion doing the same. As for the price of that monitor, I would continue looking at prices. Here, that monitor is extremely high and I wouldn't recommend buying it.

Regardless, let me know. I co-own a Computer Company, so I can probably help you find something for a decent price. Just send me a PM. :)

Its kind of assumed to buy all three monitors.

I have three monitors, all the same model but bought at different times and the brightness is different on all three with identical settings because of age.

Your monitors are experiencing "Fading" or "Dimming" due to the fact that hardware is beginning to fail, most of the time it happens faster on constant use. Most of the time monitors won't show too many signs right off the bat or even within the first few years.

But yeah, it really depends on the monitor quality, make and model. So on.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you want to hook up your PS3 to the monitor it has to be a TV. PC monitors in 99% of the cases don't come with inbuilt sound and the sound channel of the HDMI port from the PS3 would simply be ignored. TVs are a lot more expensive than monitors for the same size because they have additional features. You can count with at least 250€ to get a full HD TV

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Sound? If that means it has to have speakers, then yes it does. If you mean the speakers are low quality, then couldn't I just use HDMI for the screen and from the video cable (red, white, yellow) the audio cables for sound, perhaps hook it up to a headphone or an external system.

Reaction score
Your monitors are experiencing "Fading" or "Dimming" due to the fact that hardware is beginning to fail, most of the time it happens faster on constant use. Most of the time monitors won't show too many signs right off the bat or even within the first few years.

But yeah, it really depends on the monitor quality, make and model. So on.

Thats what I just said, but okay.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure you know how HDMI looks like maybe I just misunderstood your post but HDMI has no red yellow or white cable it's 1 composite cable with sound and graphics built in, and PC monitors rarely have any speakers at all

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That's not what I meant. The PS3 has both a scart and a HDMI out. I was asking if it is possible to use the HDMI for my PC screen. Put the speakers in the screen (yes it has built-in speakers) on mute, and then plug in a scart in the PS3, have it converted into those three red, yellow, white cables. Take the sound ones (not sure which) and hook those up to an external sound source, like a stereo system or headphones. I did check the screen and it does have built-in speakers.

I'm really liking the screen, the only thing that holds me back is that it's 23". Does anyone have a 23" screen and if so, how is the size? Is it like large or average? How is it for gaming and such?

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with the size at all, and all 3 of mine are 23".

DTzQP - Looking to buy a new monitor - RaGEZONE Forums

olzMx - Looking to buy a new monitor - RaGEZONE Forums

My keyboard is about the same width as one of my monitors so they seem small to me. It really depends on your desk size.

That sir, is an epic set up. I'm almost convinced. Will think about it for one more day and then decide whether to order it or look for a diff one.
I only have space for one, maybe two, monitor(s). If the size turns out to be a meh I could always buy a second one (later on) and put it next to it.

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you want to hook up your PS3 to the monitor it has to be a TV. PC monitors in 99% of the cases don't come with inbuilt sound and the sound channel of the HDMI port from the PS3 would simply be ignored.

I did a little research on this and found that the PS3 has settings for audio output. I can choose which output it uses and can even have sound outputted on multiple outs (i.e. HDMI and A/V). That way I can still use the HDMI for the screen and use A/V for audio.

One more question, when using a laptop and connecting it via HDMI to the monitor, is there any way to prevent the sound from being carried by the HDMI? Like, I could still use the build in speakers or the headphones-out if I wanted to? Is there any option for that?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
By default it does not give the sound to your screen even if you use HDMI you'd have to change your sound settings and pick HDMI as your sound port (if supported by your OS) if you wished to do so

butt > Tits
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Alright! Thanks a lot for that.
Now, tomorrow I'll check if I can use this little converter
Lapje - Looking to buy a new monitor - RaGEZONE Forums
to convert A/V sound to headphones out without it being amplified other than by the PS3. If that's the case I'll order it right away =].
Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back