Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

MentalBlank's DragonFable Private Server Files [Screenshots]

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

DragonFable System Requirements Chart:

Minimum RequirementsRecommended Requirements
Adobe Flash Player 8.0Latest version of Adobe Flash Player
800x600x16 Display1024x768x32 Display
Internet Explorer 5.0Latest version of IE/Firefox/Chrome
200 MB of HDD Storage500 MB of HDD Storage
PHP 5.3.5Latest version of PHP

Server Files (132.6 MB):

Known Issues [23/08/2015]:

1. Problems with gathering stored bank items. (See df_bank table in the SQL database)
  2. Problems with NaN experience in leveling. (Max EXP should be 20 * pow(Level,2))
  3. Problems with character creation customization. (Not showing options in the SWF file)
  4. Problems with Falconreach shop. (I'm in the process of gathering and troubleshooting the SWF files)
  5. Problems with missing locations. (I'm in the process of gathering and troubleshooting the SWF files)
  6. Problems with missing items. (I'm in the process of gathering and troubleshooting the SWF files)
  7. Problems with stat training. (Not automatically set, and resulting in negative gold)
  8. Problems with multi-opponent battle. (Dead opponent appears alive but doens't attack)
  9. Problems with inventory duplication.
  10. Problems with upgrading storage slots. (Bag, Bank, and House)
  11. Problems with constant EXP gain making NaN EXP.

All of these issues have been addressed and I'm currently in the process of troubleshooting these problems.

If you see any issues during your gameplay and you want a working patch: Then please add a comment or PM me for a fix, and I'll see what I can do to assist you. I'm only one person, and I can only help so many people at a single time. Please do not spam your problems in the comments or in my inbox; I'll get to your problem as soon as I can. (I can't guarantee an ETA)

Thank you. -KimChoJapFan

Images (Screenshots):

DragonFable Login Screen:
KimChoJapFan - MentalBlank's DragonFable Private Server Files [Screenshots] - RaGEZONE Forums

DragonFable New User Screen:
KimChoJapFan - MentalBlank's DragonFable Private Server Files [Screenshots] - RaGEZONE Forums

DragonFable Homepage:

DragonFable Character Creation Screen:

DragonFable Character Selection Screen:

DragonFable In-Game Screenshot:

DragonFable Game Settings Screen:

DragonFable Weapon Shop Screen:

DragonFable Mission Screenshot:

DragonFable Starting Mission Screenshot:

DragonFable Character Sheet Screen:

DragonFable Quest End Screen:

DragonFable Hydra Battle Screenshot (Pure and blissful nostalgia):

Down with the Hydra!

PvP at the BattleSpire Screenshot (I'm the only character in the database BTW):

And thus concludes my post.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Could you please elaborate on the "File broken" error?

I recommend using to extract the 7z archive as it was the same program I used to compress the archive.

Make certain that your download wasn't corrupted from a sudden disconnection from the file server. I'll try to get and MD5 hash of the functioning archive to compare with your downloaded archive.

I test my private server on with only Apache and MySQL needed as PHP comes with the MySQL database as PHPMyAdmin.

I'll have to find the time to record a video tutorial for my YouTube channel, but I'll find a way to supply a comprehensive list of working server programs other than XAMPP for those who are thinking about using dedicated servers or other software such as UwAmp and WAMP.

1. Generally with XAMPP you have to have your Apache and MySQL modules started and you must make a new database user with full permissions. Then you will have to edit the "config.inc.php"file in your "XAMPP/phpMyAdmin" folder.

2. You will want to change the "auth_type" from "config" to "cookie" which will tie your MySQL session to a browser cookie file that should allow for the private server to communicate with your database.

3. You will want to change the "user" and "password" fields to match the new database user you created earlier in step 1.

4. You will want to change the "AllowNoPassword" from "true" to "false" which will require you to log into your database with your user account information to import the SQL data and make modifications to the database.

5. You will want to re-download the server files and preferably the two patches that may fix a few problems with the server. (Most of them stem from missing SWF files and improper reads/writes of data from the database)

6. You will want to go to the database and issue the following SQL command:
Code:
 CREATE DATABASE `dragonfable`;

7. You will want to go to the "htdocs/includes/config.php" file and edit the following:
- Change "$mysql_user" to match your account. (The one you use to access the database)

- Change "$mysql_pass" to match your account password.

8. You are now ready to import the "Database/Database.sql" contents into your "dragonfable" table.

9. After applying the patches as instructed, then you can access your server from "localhost" and create a new account.

BE AWARE: Whenever you finish creating your account, the button will relocate you to the actual DragonFable login page. You will just go back to "localhost/game" to login to your own private server instead.

Just be aware that this won't be 100% complete any time soon, but it should be complete enough for testing and it makes for a good method for learning PHP. (Well learning in desperation is still learning)

If none of these steps worked, then you can either send me a PM linking to an Imgur gallery showing screenshots of the error so that I can have a better opportunity to solve the problem specific to your system.

Once I make my YouTube video and publish it, I'll then link it in an update for this post.

Until then, please keep me updated about any issues and bugs you come across that I may not have mentioned or noticed.

Thank you. -KimChoJapFan

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
good game, 2010 :D
new update vers 2015 where?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I've encountered a problem during the server setup i don't have a htdocs/includes folder and when i go onto localhost/game i just get a error.

Edit: Found the "Includes" folder and kinda fixed the localhost issue except now i'm getting a different problem it's coming up with "No such file or directory for a good few things on there"

Edit Again: Sorted the previous issues out now i'm getting this error when i try to create a account:

Warning: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in C:\Users\***\Desktop\Xampp\htdocs\df-signup.php on line 4

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Which version of PHP does your server use?

I tested mine out with XAMPP for Windows, and the version of PHP was 5.5.28.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
XAMPP for Windows and mine is 3.2.1 or at least the control panel for it is i was also sure that i used the link on your tutorial to download it

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
good game, 2010 :D
new update vers 2015 where?

I have tried to use site scrapers such as WinHTTrack and wget to grab the site's contents, but I haven't really had much success in that.
I have tried to use Python 2.7.10 with the BeautifulSoup module and urllib2 module to scrape the site, but I kept coming across the dreaded 403 error.
I have tried to grab the site's SWF files while playing the game, but I do not own a guardian account and therefore I can only access a limited number of files.

I haven't attempted to contact MentalBlank and ask him how he accomplished the task of grabbing the 9.8.0 version of Dragonfable back in ~2010. I can only work with what he uploaded, and so far it does need a decent amount of work.

If I happen to come across a working method to grab site data from Dragonfable, I'll grab the SWFs and I'll try my best to include the latest version in a very large patch for this private server. (I'll have to do quite a lot of testing to see if the stability matches the latest patch or improves stability in comparison to the latest patch before a release)

XAMPP for Windows and mine is 3.2.1 or at least the control panel for it is i was also sure that i used the link on your tutorial to download it

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I have tried to use site scrapers such as WinHTTrack and wget to grab the site's contents, but I haven't really had much success in that.
I have tried to use Python 2.7.10 with the BeautifulSoup module and urllib2 module to scrape the site, but I kept coming across the dreaded 403 error.
I have tried to grab the site's SWF files while playing the game, but I do not own a guardian account and therefore I can only access a limited number of files.

I haven't attempted to contact MentalBlank and ask him how he accomplished the task of grabbing the 9.8.0 version of Dragonfable back in ~2010. I can only work with what he uploaded, and so far it does need a decent amount of work.

If I happen to come across a working method to grab site data from Dragonfable, I'll grab the SWFs and I'll try my best to include the latest version in a very large patch for this private server. (I'll have to do quite a lot of testing to see if the stability matches the latest patch or improves stability in comparison to the latest patch before a release)

I have a upgraded account actually if you want to use that to try to grab the upgraded only files.

Edit: Time to uninstall the previous version of XAMPP just so the ports settings don't conflict with each other lol

Edit Again: Turns out that it's the installation directory that's blocking the ports Apache uses time to uninstall and reinstall in a different location again

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't really want to grab the latest version of Dragonfable, I haven't played Dragonfable since 2011 and I feel that most of my memories when playing Dragonfable were around the 8.X and 9.X versions of Dragonfable. I still remember how awesome it felt to have a fully upgraded Axe of Doom (I believe at the time it was a Heartless Axe of Doom which was the highest upgrade for level 40, that's if my memory serves me correctly)

When I was growing up to be an artist for game development and freelance manga illustrator such as Mark Crilley and Christopher Hart; the battleon games (Dragonfable, AdventureQuest, and MechQuest at the time) were an inspirational source for fantasy weapon design and over-the-top swords that had a unique and recognizable design to them.

Now I feel that being an artist is more of a hobby rather than a career option, I moved on towards computer maintenance and networking because technology continues to improve and people will grow more dependent on computers for their day-to-day lives. I recognize that there's no perfect solution and that there's no such thing as a fully stable computer; that fact is my purpose, millions of people worked through many restless nights to bring us the current stage of technology that we tend to take for granted from time-to-time. I'll do what I can to contribute to the future generation from improving network security standards, to redefining how copyright laws and censorship pertains to a global market such as the internet. (Mainly how it holds no weight in such a market)

I'm currently running Linux on my laptop, and I'm going to download and test my private server files on LAMPP with the same version of PHP to see if I will come across new problems on a different platform.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
No worries yeah about people becoming more dependant on technology? that's pretty much happened here in the UK except children instead of going to libraries, looking for certain books to get the infomation they need and learning how to read and write they are given Ipads and Iphones and thus aren't learning how to even use a pen or pencil.

I might as well mention while i remember i've installed the version of XAMPP you linked me to and i'm still getting the same error when i try to create a account i'll see if i can just create one through phpmyadmin and login hopefully that works.

Edit: Nope when i go to login into the game i just get a blank screen i must be doing something wrong but i did follow the instructions odd

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Does the "df-signup.php" file contain the following line of code:

Code:
 error_reporting(0);

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know I forgot a few files from the first patch, my "df_signup.php" file had that line of code which suppressed the error message and added the form information into the database.

Try adding the code to the file and see if that allows you to register a new user into the database.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nope same error i made a account through phpmyadmin so i have one but as i said a couple of posts ago i cannot login to the game.

Edit: When i login on the main localhost page it just says "No database selected" so either i'm doing something it doesn't like or i'm missing something probably the former :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I know what went wrong:

In the phpmyadmin database, did you create a new user account with all permissions enabled?

If you did, then did you modify the "config.inc.php" file inside the phpmyadmin folder to read the following:

Code:
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['auth_type'] = 'cookie';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['user'] = '<enter database username here>';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['password'] = '<enter database user password here>';
$cfg['Servers'][$i]['AllowNoPassword'] = false;

If you did, then did you modify the "config.php" file in your "htdocs/includes" folder to match the following:

Code:
$mysql_user = "<enter database username here>";
$mysql_pass = "<enter database user password here>";

If you have done all of this and restarted your MySQL service to append changes; then did you name your Dragonfable table "dragonfable"?

If you did, then there shouldn't be a problem with the server because I have done all of this before on Windows and Linux and got the server to work properly when it comes to creating users and managing the database.

If you did not name the table "dragonfable", then you can either recreate a table with the name "dragonfable" or you could modify "config.php" in your "htdocs/includes" folder to match the following:

Code:
$mysql_name = "<insert Dragonfable table name here>";

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Lol i had to copy the files in the DF\Include folder to the XAMPP\htdocs\includes folder.

Edit: Time to find out the GM/Admin levels for the Access value in regards to accounts and possibly any GM/Admin commands

Edit Again: Now i'm getting a "Error loading Character" message when i try to load a character

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
The GM/Admin level that MentalBlank used for his account was '1000'.

A GM level of '0' means that the user is banned.

A GM level below '40' means the user is not an admin and can't access admin towns such as the admin version of Falconreach and the secret area that is used for dynamic debugging.

Anything above '40' should be considered an admin. (I would go with '1000' to be on the safe side.)

:EDIT:

As far as I know, there isn't any special commands that can be issued similar to many private servers out there. The modifications are limited to database editing and the special admin town which allows the loading of custom SWFs and changes to the database from within the game. (Only certain aspects of the database can be changed from within in the game)

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Any idea why i would be getting a "Error Loading Character" error? it's not giving me any kind of code or anything i'm going to try deleting the server files and unextracting them again in the morning

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Try deleting the character and recreating the character to make sure that the problem isn't in the database data.

If it's necessary, I could send you an SQL file that will add an account and a character with full admin permissions.

Back