Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Myself and BitTorrent (Source/DNS and a reward)

What about no.
Reaction score
Knowing the outcome, what would you have all done if you was in my exact circumstances? I'm interested in what people would have done. My FB got bombarded with people asking to buy it, release it and so on.

I would have given them a hint by changing there repo's name or something, just so that if bittorrent wanted to fill a lawsuit they have no information.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Cheap bastards! But aye, Emily's got the next few months nappies and such sorted :p:

edit: what would I have done in your position? Demanded a phone call, shown them the number of people wanting their source code and tell them to match an offer.

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I just hope bittorent make post on their site about this and clear Mental name being a hacker -_-
It's their own fault forget to secure their jenkins panel, forgot to set a user/pass to the admin panel @_@
for me : maybe i when i found it i wont do anything coz i dont understand it, maybe i will download couple files that interest me, but i think i leave as it is X_X

I'm-a ruin you, punt!
Reaction score
I’m still shocked at how much they paid you to be honest. It would have been great business for them to give you something a little more worthwhile but maybe they can’t see that. In the future if anything else like this is discovered in BitTorrent I’m sure that person won’t be kind enough to report it.

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I’m still shocked at how much they paid you to be honest. It would have been great business for them to give you something a little more worthwhile but maybe they can’t see that. In the future if anything else like this is discovered in BitTorrent I’m sure that person won’t be kind enough to report it.

Depends on the person, really. Some people would prefer the 500$ from BitTorrent over the 100k they could get if they used the information against BitTorrent.

Reaction score
They've been calling you an hacker on (largest tech site in the Netherlands), so I'm doing my best to have that changed, we'll see if I succeed. Oh and I told them to change it to RaGEZONE as well. ;)

Anyway nice work, shame they offer you a reward and do it in such a pitiful way, but meh, duck them. ;)

Reaction score
Good on you MentaL, even though BitTorrent Inc acted like arseholes you did the right thing. By the looks of things you got a poop ton of free advertising too :lol:

I realise they all link back to torrent reactor but that is just a tiny number of sites talking about it. :lol:

Leech feeder.
Reaction score
imagine builds with 0 adds going public - they would lose millions in revenue.

What about no.
Reaction score
They've been calling you an hacker on (largest tech site in the Netherlands), so I'm doing my best to have that changed, we'll see if I succeed. Oh and I told them to change it to RaGEZONE as well. ;)

Anyway nice work, shame they offer you a reward and do it in such a pitiful way, but meh, duck them. ;)

They changed it, they removed the hacker part and changed ragezone to "his own forum"

Reaction score
Totally should have sold the info to the MPAA. They could have pushed a build that reports file downloads, and all the users info, to them. They would have made millions. Though I'm not sure how useable it would be in court? I suppose it would let them know who is downloading, and they can easily go from there knowing 100% the person has been downloading illegal content.

I'm pretty sure it would be worth more to the MPAA than to random chinese hackers, because it would effectively destroy the torrenting community, I mean would you risk using any torrent client knowing 100% of the utorrent user base got sued for millions?

I kinda think it's grey hat reporting it to the company that is facilitating copyright violations. Giving it to the authorities might have been more white hat if you think about it.

This is the story I'd have been talking about if I was writing news articles. I'd say it makes for a much more complex discussion on the moral implications of "hacking" illegal sites. If it's ok to block (which is effectively the same thing as DDOSing) TPB, then surely it's ok to attack file sharing programs?

Back