• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

New build for me!

Reaction score
Just want you guys to check this over and let me know if I should consider something else instead. Plan to get middle of next month. =)

Case:- ThermalTake Tsunami (already got)
PSU:- OCZ 600W GameXStream SLI Ready PSU
CPU:- Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz
Memory:- OCZ 4GB kit (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 Gold Dual Channel CL 9-9-9-26
MotherBoard:- ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
Graphics Card:- XFX GeForce 8800GT Alpha Dog 512MB PCI-E2.0
HDD:- 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA2 16MB
HDD2:- 250GB Seagate Barracuda SATA (already got)
DVD:- Samsung SH-S203 20X DVDRW - SATA

Thanks ^^

Reaction score
Why not just ask NoPeace? :p

Only thing i could suggest would be to get regular ddr2 ram instead of ddr3. ALOT cheaper, barely any performance loss, and get an nvidia chipset (680i/780i) motherboard instead.

Other than that it looks all good.

Legendary Battlemage
Reaction score

Only thing i could suggest would be to get regular ddr2 ram instead of ddr3. ALOT cheaper, barely any performance loss, and get an nvidia chipset (680i/780i) motherboard instead.

is that good Rishwin? not sure. its the mobo im getting.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Stop hijacking threads cody, you made loads of threads about your new computer, go ask it in there.

Ontopic :

Looking good kitten, I suggest to do what rishwin said.
Getting DDR2 instead of DDR3 would save you money, you could buy another 8800GT and SLI them if you have the money.
Or you could get 2 9600GT's.

Reaction score

I was told it is better to get near as to the CPU FSB with RAM speed so that was what I was looking out for orignally. If your saying doesn't make much difference then is this better??

Is this motherboard better?

Thanks

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
how much you willing to spend on the motherboard or whole system?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
PC6400 (800Mhz) is the sweet spot for performance/price. Anything higher than that and your just chucking money away for roughly a 3% performance boost.

Also try to get 4-4-4-12 latencies. Failing that 5-5-5-15 is alright.

Personally I'd recommend the Corsair XMS2 PC6400. I have 4x1GB sticks of that and it gets to 4-4-4-10 easily, I havn't bothered testing any further as thats low enough for me.

Reaction score
PC6400 (800Mhz) is the sweet spot for performance/price. Anything higher than that and your just chucking money away for roughly a 3% performance boost.

Also try to get 4-4-4-12 latencies. Failing that 5-5-5-15 is alright.

Personally I'd recommend the Corsair XMS2 PC6400. I have 4x1GB sticks of that and it gets to 4-4-4-10 easily, I havn't bothered testing any further as thats low enough for me.

so your saying something like this is better??

Oo

Reaction score
I was told it is better to get near as to the CPU FSB with RAM speed so that was what I was looking out for orignally. If your saying doesn't make much difference then is this better??

Is this motherboard better?

Thanks
Yes that motherboard would be better.
so your saying something like this is better??

Oo

Yup get that RAM instead.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Evil kitten a price range would be nice. I could price you up a good system.
Recommend, BTW UK is different to the USA with prices.
8800 GT or 9600 GT
DDR2
E8000 series or Q9000 series.
Don't bother with timings e.g. 4-4-4-12 stuff like that, i tried RAM with different timing doesn't make much difference to me. Only Memory itself and frequency.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with timings e.g. 4-4-4-12 stuff like that, i tried RAM with different timing doesn't make much difference to me. Only Memory itself and frequency.

I'd like to see you say that FSB only matters when your timings are around 8-8-8-8-26. No chance in hell you will EVER get the amount of bandwidth you can push across a high FSB without the latencies being low enough for the RAM to access the data quickly.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I'd like to see you say that FSB only matters when your timings are around 8-8-8-8-26. No chance in hell you will EVER get the amount of bandwidth you can push across a high FSB without the latencies being low enough for the RAM to access the data quickly.

I mean difference of 4-4-4-12 and 5-5-5-15. They arnt gunna make much difference

Back