• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

New GPU needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
500 watt PSU can handle a Radeon HD6950 as long as you didn't jack up the volages or frequencies of your components. But it's not recommended since power supplies outputs lower over time, after 3 years a 500 watt output can be expected to drop as low as 420 watt and once it gets too weak it could cause voltages spikes and fry your hardware or just break down

Also RadeonHD 6950 costs 160€ in some places which is cheaper than most high end graphic cards.
And those talking about SLI / Crossfire, why? Crossfire and SLI are just a good way of taking money from you I haven't seen a game I couldn't run on extreme settings yet and I don't use SLI or Crossfire. SLI and Crossfire boost performance by less than 50% in most cases and some games don't support it well or don't support it at all. You're way better off by the time you need a more powerful graphic card, to buy the next generation graphic card and have reliable performance

Reaction score
Think about this: I have a single GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II -> 200 EUR.

In a while, I might think about needing higher GPU power. If I want to stay in a single-card setup, I'll need to buy something like a 570/580 or 6970 which is >300 EUR easy.
Alternatively, I spend another 200 EUR on a second 560 Ti for SLI which will give me the performance boost I want.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
That link you sent me has a lot of posts against SLI
and on those benchmarks Radeon hd 6950 beats GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II and if you flash it to get 6970 performance with 0 up price you're even better off

Checked the price on Radeon HD6950 it's actually 200 euro too

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Why would you flash a 6950 to 6970? Apart from the performance increase... But obviously it wasn't meant to be done, else they would have sold it as a 6970.

That's what they do though most of the time. They start making the high end card first and later release lower positioned cards which are exactly the same as the top tier card but with some stuff disabled.

Same thing with AMD's X3 tri-core processors, they were actually regular X4 quads but one core disabled. You could unlock that last core and have a fully functioning X4.

I'd buy a 6950 and save myself some money, and then flash it to 6970.

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The 6950 -does not- beat the 560ti twin frozr 2gb card. They always compare the bigger 6950 against the 1gb version which is a fair hand lower FPS vs the 2gb version of the same card.

The 560Ti is better value per money then the 6950 currently. As well as it runs quieter, and cooler.

Reactions: 404
Reaction score
I've received my GPU, tinkered with it a bit. Everything is sexy.

404 - New GPU needed. - RaGEZONE Forums

I can close it, I guess. :w00t:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back