• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Nexon database type and structures?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
hi,

Nexon host a number of games and have a global virtual currency that can be used for all their games. What kind of database do you think they store all that info on? MSSQL / Mysql?

Do you think each game has a separate database and when you register on nexons site it replicates that info onto all their games databases? Also how would their NX currency be done? Replicated in all other game databases too and when its used it deducts from all databases? Or you think its all hosted on 1 central database.

just purely out of interest.

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
The Nexon website occasionally throws a DBNull exception.

Reaction score
I would imagine that each game database is different depending on the group of developers that worked on it. That being said, I would also imagine that they have a single account database that holds account information, including NX amounts. I'd imagine that their games would hook up to that account database when necessary, and otherwise use their game-specific databases.

I wouldn't be surprised if they used MSSQL over MySQL. The power of stored procedures would not only be quite useful to MMO's in general, but even moreso considering the link between the account database and the game database.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
i have done this making an universal database for the site, and when you register it registers each game on your site with same info, then its easier to read data. its a long script if u have more than 2 games D; but it works lol

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score
They have their own auth server, which most likely uses MSSQL knowing Koreans. The auth server authorizes all logins for all games. This way is much more organized than registering them all in separate databases(however the security behind this practice is questionable).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
When it comes to most Korean Developers they tend to use MSSQL, which I hate horribly, though it's a trend. Such as GPotato uses MSSQL for most of its popular games such as Rappelz, Prius and the latter.

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nexon does indeed use MSSQL, but I don't know how the database is structured.

You'd have to look for the leaked BMS source code, then again, that was for LevelUp Games.

Reaction score
Here is how I did it for a couple of people,

• Store all user info in a main mysql db, hash passwords in md5+salt
  • Provide links in account control panel on main website to 'activate' the other games
  • User clicks 'activate', enters password on main account. Password gets hashed and compared with whats in the db, if it matches then the user info is inserted in to a queue for that game, user gets shown a message saying account will be active in 15 minutes.
  • Run account queue every 10 minutes via a cron job to register new accounts for each game.
For the global item shop currency amount, I've done it like this; user has an option to "send" a certain amount of their "credit" to a game of their choice, item shop currency for that game increases by said amount and the global "pending credit" gets deducted.

Both processes are fully logged via an admin panel so if a user reports an issue somewhere a staff member can go in and see what happened. Its a pretty complex system to set up so logging is very important.

When dealing with private servers without source code I believe my method I've come up with is really one the best (if not the only) solution.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well, to back up the theory of an authentication database further, Blizzard uses the method of having one authentication database as a login method for all of their realms/games/websites, all of the rest is parsed through seperate databases. Things in the Auth include universal currency, login times, ips, usernames, md5/sha1 salted passwords, votes, or whatever else.

Back