Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

NWO & STO Source, Data, Tutorial

☺☺Just Ask The Pope☺☺
Reaction score
Re: NWO & STO Source, Data, Tutorial

ya i dunno what happened but during compile the client dosnt create .. i had to copy the bin.hogg from the startrek repack it worked after doing that
but the compiled client it makes jus wont start as in the errors in the help thread about it all.. just starting the game i get all the poppup boxs with the countless errors.. thats making the server compile 4 times as also in the help thread..

ill stick with the repack cos i know it has the same errors but it works and saves me 50 gb in in the same stuff i have already

edit

i dunno if it matters repack client 4gb new compile client 2gb.

Reaction score
QbfmdCY - NWO & STO Source, Data, Tutorial - RaGEZONE Forums

Don't remember which is which

QgWJ4v - NWO & STO Source, Data, Tutorial - RaGEZONE Forums

Compiled / created with the 9GB Asset files. As I said, no problem here.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Has anyone successfully compiled this with Visual C++ 2010 Express or would I be better off with Visual Studio Community 2013?

☺☺Just Ask The Pope☺☺
Reaction score
Re: NWO & STO Source, Data, Tutorial

ya only profrssional 2010 sp1 i had the same problem :)

ya tony after compile all the server started but the client basically told me to f*** off lolol

ima keep trying till i get the working ....

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Okay just to clarify for anybody who doesn't know: Visual Studio 2013 Community is basically Visual Studio 2013 Professional on a different license (to my knowledge).

Edit 2: Don't bother reading this as it was my failed attempt to use a later SDK version. I forgot that you need the source of all/most your files to be able to do that. I doubt I can get Visual Studio 2013 binaries for all/most the third party projects, so I am obviously giving up on the idea.

End of Edit 2.

I have decided to use the Visual Studio 2013 Windows SDK for compilation (because I really wanted to). So far I have had to fix up some trivial casts where the compiler is more strict. Also I had to remove re definitions of math.h functions and get STO to use the math.h ones (not sure if STO ones or Visual Studio 2013 ones are more efficient, esp. since Debug mode is using the really slow debug versions of the Windows C/C++ Runtime APIs).
However Cryptic (or someone they got code from) decided they wanted to use a hack for viewing the stack at runtime. That function requires a function: The function that I just linked was for some reason implemented in the file stackwalk.c and it was being painful, really painful. However it is available with this header file:
WinBase.h on Windows Server 2003, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2008 R2 (include Windows.h);Processthreadsapi.h on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012

So I got rid of the stupid function definition and associated rubbish and put this at the top of stackwalk.c:
#if NTDDI_VERSION >= NTDDI_WIN8
#include <Processthreadsapi.h>
#else
#include <WinBase.h>
#endif
Of course I don't know much about Windows programming and I am not sure if that is required. My questions:
1. If I always included WinBase.h would STO work on Windows 8 (if say it was compiled in Windows 7) (the compiled binary)?
2. If I always included WinBash.h would STO compile on Windows 8?

Edit: I am using Community Edition.

Last edited:
----
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Erm, @visitor I must point out that i compiled on In 8.1, not on 8, belive or not; there is a HUGE difference between the two ;)AND I installed BOTH SDK(maybe its not needed but i did anyway just to be sure) Win7 and Win8 SDK...

And hear out DNC he knows whats he doing more than well ;) He helped me lot to complie on Win 8.1...

Reactions: DNC
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Yeah I just found out that I need Visual Studio 2010 to compile with Windows 7 SDK. Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 both don't work with it. Windows SDK 7.1 wouldn't even install. I am using Windows 7 anyway, I actually like Visual Studio 2010s UI better also. The only two reasons for using 2013 over 2010 were better compiler quality and not having to install a trial. I guess I will remove 2013 from my machines as this is the only Windows project I need to compile atm anyway. Also never cut power to a laptop installing a Windows SDK, no troubleshooting on the internet for it and I couldn't install or uninstall it. I tried removing all sorts of directories and registry keys (hey today is my day for wasting time it seems) to no avail. Hopefully things will soon work out.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Took me about 20mins to compile once I had everything together. Wish I had have done it this way in the first place. Now I just have to wait for the data.

Edit: A clean then rebuild seems to take only 15mins, it works the first time as the autogen stuff seems to stay even upon clean. When does the autogen stuff need to be updated?

Last edited:
Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Heya'll,

Thanks a great deal for this!

The "StarTrek Source, Server assets, client assets (10 Parts Data á 2GB)" MegaUpload is down, sadly.
Any chance someone can reupload them, that would also be much appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Anon

Edit:
Well it seems, if I understand it correctly, the other MegaUpload (50GB) link, has everything, just not compressed. No problem for me, but still good to be noted that that other link is down.

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Much respect to the Ragezone community and the people who contribute their time and efforts to improved gaming. I have some questions about the NWO. Back on page one, the author said the animation don't work. What does that mean exactly? I am thinking my character won't run, jump, and fight? Or do they mean something else?

This really sounds like a lot of effort to compile with 2 computers for 2 days. So I seriously doubt my Linux machine is up to the task. :D I play NWO on my weekends off from work. It is a fun game but not made for Linux, which means I have to run it through WINE. The advertisement on a lot of these games say they run in Linux but in the end they are talking about WINE. I was hoping in the off chance your compile was in Linux and I already see it is Windows 7. I was hoping against all odds it was a Linux port.

My hat is tipped to you GigaToni and kalisto2002.
Liked for sure!

Reaction score
  • Your character just "floats" if you walk.
  • Server does crash 50% of the time (Because of missing / incorrect assets, and old code)

It's not you can just put in and play. It's a lot of work to get it to a stable and complete state. (If not years of work)

As far as I remember the scripts (Logic behind the engine) get compiled and undecompilable after they are compiled. So no way of "extracting" it out of an official client.

Compiling doesn't take that long.
The big problem is that you need a beast of a computer to compile the piggs / hogg files. (2 core processor, and 6GB of ram = 2 days creating the hogg files.) On my main computer it took ~1 hr.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Flyer8472, I just dabble in this stuff for the exercise. ;D The brain is a muscle that gets soft all too quickly in life. A friend of mine who also plays NWO was telling me how he is saving up astral diamonds to buy something. I told him to pry open his wallet and buy some Zen, after all it also promotes growth in the game. He thinks just because it is a free to play mmo he should get everything handed to him. lol

I mostly just fart around with finished projects, messing with the SQL database. Have fun!

Back