Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Old Rap VS New Rap

Which rap do you like better?

• Old Rap

Votes: 20 64.5%
  • New Rap

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters
Software Engineer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I prefer old school rap, but some old school rappers are still making good albums and such e.g. Ice Cube has made some really good albums since he started again.

Also, if you want good "current" music look up independent artists like:

Tech N9ne - been a rapper forever and still he's independent and delivering dope music.
Celph Titled - Another good one, this guys old school too.
Apathy - Another good artist.

I've not been listening to rap as much as I usually do lately, but whenever I do those are some of the people I jam to, everyone of course listens to music for different reasons, I look into the lyrics mainly. If I had to recommend one artist everyone shouldn't overlook I'd say : Tech N9ne he's still doing his thing, and is still one of the top (if not the top) independent artists.

some Tech N9ne Songs : Sickology 101, Riot Maker , Caribou Lou, Night And Day, I'm a Player, Welcome to the Midwest , Midwest Choppers , Midwest Choppers pt. 2, Fan or Foe,

Honestly, I don't know a true rap fan who hasn't liked Tech N9ne so far :p

Anyway my belief is that real rap is never 'really' on the radio, if you hear it on the radio everywhere then it's probably not real rap, or a real rap song, anyway that's my two cents.

- Moogly

duck You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I liked rap when Eminem was decent, Notorious and 2PAC was still alive, and Dr.Dre and Snoop Dogg was Legitment rappers,

Now, all rappers these days rap about is girls shaken there asses and girls getting fucked on disco sticks.
Its serious Ridiculous, and people wonder why united states is full of sluts, because they learn from the videos and they try to be like them, shaken there asses and poop. Even at my school thats how cheerleaders are, Even when I was in Junior high, girls was like that, I was like holy poop. But they was sexy :)

Reaction score
Lol most of you in this thread are pretty dumb. It seems the only thing you know about "new" rap and "old" rap are the mainstream artists. For example, you can say the "new rappers" are people like Lil Wayne, Drake, etc. and for the "old rappers" you say Biggie, Tupac, and Eazy-E. All of these are mainstream artists. You guys are missing the true underground hip-hop artists and rappers. Groups like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, etc. There are many new rappers today that maintain that old underground vibe, such as Aesop Rock.

duck You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
We use mainstream rappers because its whats mostly played on the radio,
you dont here any of them artist quest, or De la soul or whatever played.

Reaction score
Lil Wayne can't rap. Maybe in his own fucked up mental state he is, but he can't. They screwed rap up, I don't even turn on the radio anymore cause all I hear is them little girls trying to spit rhymes and talking about living in the ghetto when they don't even know what that is.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Lol most of you in this thread are pretty dumb. It seems the only thing you know about "new" rap and "old" rap are the mainstream artists. For example, you can say the "new rappers" are people like Lil Wayne, Drake, etc. and for the "old rappers" you say Biggie, Tupac, and Eazy-E. All of these are mainstream artists. You guys are missing the true underground hip-hop artists and rappers. Groups like A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, etc. There are many new rappers today that maintain that old underground vibe, such as Aesop Rock.

The correct term here is "ignorant."

Also, some people don't like underground :). Some people swear by it. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QyYaPWasos"]Let's not start the flame war[/ame].

ON TOPIC, OLD > NEW. :sleep:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'll say new. Don't get me wrong, there are obviously some classics but some of the stuff coming out these days is awesome and it's a pity most of you aren't bothered enough to try and find it. Here's some decent British hip-hop:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4]YouTube - dan le sac VS scroobius pip "Thou Shalt always Kill"[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F19FcDXKR0I"]YouTube- Yungun - Peter Pan Syndrome[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUCFlzrkclg"]YouTube- Akala - Comedy Tragedy History[/ame]

Last edited:
Reaction score
We use mainstream rappers because its whats mostly played on the radio,
you dont here any of them artist quest, or De la soul or whatever played.

You use mainstream rappers because you're ignorant and that's all you've been exposed to. Notice that you constantly are referring to dead rappers. You may not have noticed, but an artist magically becomes more famous, well-known, and appreciated after he or she has died. If they were still around today, they probably would be sounding the same as Lil Wayne and Drake, etc. People who actually listen to old rap and hip-hop, and not the radio, know who De La Soul and a Tribe Called Quest is because they contributed to the development of hip-hop and rap in its early stages just as much as Eazy-E, Biggie, Tupac, or Run D.M.C. might have ... those artists are just more well-known. Research or shut up, folks.

Oh, and it's the same thing with new rap. You're only listening to the radio. And yes, poop on the radio is bad, but it's what the majority likes. If you listen to artists and groups that aren't complete sell-outs, and are actually in it for the love of hip-hop, you'll learn to appreciate new hip-hop of these days. There is one mainstream group that is actually good and has talent: OutKast. There one of my favorite rap groups of all time. You need to search around for the good hip-hop of today before you start talking poop about it, you ignorant fools.

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Voted for new rap. (eminem, t.i.p mostly)

Never really digged 2pac's style.

bleh....
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well all you guys talking about the Rhymesayers Label.

A> That just makes you awesome.
B> They're aren't rap. They're hip-hop.

So as awesome as they are you really can't put them in this thread.

God, if there was a "Thanks" function in this section, I would create 50 accounts just to thank you for this. I'm tired of hearing this argument. The "rap" that you guys are thinking is rap, is not rap. It is Hip-Hop. There is a big difference. Rap is close to extinct, and will be within a decade. FYI, Biggie, Tupac AND Eazy E had Hip-Hop songs as well. Please state what is different now from back then? All 3 of the previously mentioned artists rapped about the same poop that is rapped about now.

Drugs, women, sex, violence. "The good life". What's the difference? Lyric quality. Ok yes, they were great rappers, I'm not denying that. You can't say one rapper is bad when he is rapping about the same thing as someone you like rapped about. No one contributed more than the 3 you guys mentioned toward the direction rap/hip-hop has turned. Music changes with time. Rock n Roll now isn't even remotely close to what it was when it first originated. The hip-hop out now pertains to this generation, how the younger generation embraces music, not how we do.

You guys wanna cry about rap, fine. Cry about how Ice Cube went rich boy actor. Cry about how both Biggie and Tupac cared more about their god damn reputations than their lives. Cry about how LL Cool J (yes, he was and still is considered a "heavyweight" rapper) turned pretty boy actor. Don't cry about this generations music because that's what it is... this generations' music.

/wallOfText

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
God, if there was a "Thanks" function in this section, I would create 50 accounts just to thank you for this. I'm tired of hearing this argument. The "rap" that you guys are thinking is rap, is not rap. It is Hip-Hop. There is a big difference. Rap is close to extinct, and will be within a decade. FYI, Biggie, Tupac AND Eazy E had Hip-Hop songs as well. Please state what is different now from back then? All 3 of the previously mentioned artists rapped about the same poop that is rapped about now.

Drugs, women, sex, violence. "The good life". What's the difference? Lyric quality. Ok yes, they were great rappers, I'm not denying that. You can't say one rapper is bad when he is rapping about the same thing as someone you like rapped about. No one contributed more than the 3 you guys mentioned toward the direction rap/hip-hop has turned. Music changes with time. Rock n Roll now isn't even remotely close to what it was when it first originated. The hip-hop out now pertains to this generation, how the younger generation embraces music, not how we do.

You guys wanna cry about rap, fine. Cry about how Ice Cube went rich boy actor. Cry about how both Biggie and Tupac cared more about their god damn reputations than their lives. Cry about how LL Cool J (yes, he was and still is considered a "heavyweight" rapper) turned pretty boy actor. Don't cry about this generations music because that's what it is... this generations' music.

/wallOfText

Doesn't matter weather its rap or hip hop. Its the fact old ones are better then the new ones. It is not the same thing. Old rap was actually about real things unlike new rap which is all fake. Plus look at the lyrics, The old rap had way better lyrics then current rap. You need to actually listen to it often to understand the difference, For those who don't listen to rap I'm pretty sure they wouldn't beable to tell the difference. I actualyl listen to it and look at the lyrics and i see a huge difference.

Reaction score
Doesn't matter weather its rap or hip hop. Its the fact old ones are better then the new ones. It is not the same thing. Old rap was actually about real things unlike new rap which is all fake. Plus look at the lyrics, The old rap had way better lyrics then current rap. You need to actually listen to it often to understand the difference, For those who don't listen to rap I'm pretty sure they wouldn't beable to tell the difference. I actualyl listen to it and look at the lyrics and i see a huge difference.

Your arguments aren't supported by anything. To say that all new rap is about gangs, violence, money, bitches, etc. is useless, because that's what a lot of the old mainstream rap was too. You've only brought up like three rappers from the "old school" and saying they are better, but you're not providing real reasons.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Your arguments aren't supported by anything. To say that all new rap is about gangs, violence, money, bitches, etc. is useless, because that's what a lot of the old mainstream rap was too. You've only brought up like three rappers from the "old school" and saying they are better, but you're not providing real reasons.

Yes but the old ones were actually real, Not bull poop made up by the rapper. Hard to explain, Just start listening to rap and the difference will come to you.

If there was no difference why are alot of people saying there is, obviously theres a reason to that. People wont just randomly make up bs like "New rap sucks older one is better" I listen to both new and old and compared to new old is 999x better.

Reaction score
Yes but the old ones were actually real, Not bull poop made up by the rapper. Hard to explain, Just start listening to rap and the difference will come to you.

If there was no difference why are alot of people saying there is, obviously theres a reason to that. People wont just randomly make up bs like "New rap sucks older one is better" I listen to both new and old and compared to new old is 999x better.

Trust me, I've heard all of it. I am a big fan of Tupac, Biggie, and Eazy-E and N.W.A. and whatnot. But to say that some of the confrontations in new rap isn't real is shenanigans. How do you know that it's made up? You know every single confrontation that exists between every rapper in this generation?

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Trust me, I've heard all of it. I am a big fan of Tupac, Biggie, and Eazy-E and N.W.A. and whatnot. But to say that some of the confrontations in new rap isn't real is shenanigans. How do you know that it's made up? You know every single confrontation that exists between every rapper in this generation?

Not hard to tell its made up. Plus its not just weather its real or not, the song itself is different. New rap is basicly just cheap copy of old rap, No ryhmes in any of them.

Theres obviously a reason why most people pick old rap over new rap. If there was no difference people would look at them both the same but obviously there has to be a difference and most people noticed it. Some people haven't.

Reaction score
Not hard to tell its made up. Plus its not just weather its real or not, the song itself is different. New rap is basicly just cheap copy of old rap, No ryhmes in any of them.

Theres obviously a reason why most people pick old rap over new rap. If there was no difference people would look at them both the same but obviously there has to be a difference and most people noticed it. Some people haven't.

It's something programmed in your brain to prefer vintage rather than new. Just like people prefer old cartoons rather than new, old photography rather than new, old everything rather than new. It's more of a nostalgia feeling rather than quality.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
It's something programmed in your brain to prefer vintage rather than new. Just like people prefer old cartoons rather than new, old photography rather than new, old everything rather than new. It's more of a nostalgia feeling rather than quality.

Ofcourse it is? Dude don't get carried away by going with everything old. No one in this world likes old cartoons unless somethings wrong with ur brain. Stick to one topic please.

If most of the world sees a difference in old and new rap there is obviously something different there. So what if they rap about the same poop, girls, sex, gangs, what else is there to rap about? Doing your homework lmfao.

Its the lyrics and the way the song is thats totally different. Not really expecting you to understand but anyways idk if you get my point or not but a lot of people knows what im trying to say.

duck You
Loyal Member
Reaction score
You use mainstream rappers because you're ignorant and that's all you've been exposed to. Notice that you constantly are referring to dead rappers. You may not have noticed, but an artist magically becomes more famous, well-known, and appreciated after he or she has died. If they were still around today, they probably would be sounding the same as Lil Wayne and Drake, etc. People who actually listen to old rap and hip-hop, and not the radio, know who De La Soul and a Tribe Called Quest is because they contributed to the development of hip-hop and rap in its early stages just as much as Eazy-E, Biggie, Tupac, or Run D.M.C. might have ... those artists are just more well-known. Research or shut up, folks.

Oh, and it's the same thing with new rap. You're only listening to the radio. And yes, poop on the radio is bad, but it's what the majority likes. If you listen to artists and groups that aren't complete sell-outs, and are actually in it for the love of hip-hop, you'll learn to appreciate new hip-hop of these days. There is one mainstream group that is actually good and has talent: OutKast. There one of my favorite rap groups of all time. You need to search around for the good hip-hop of today before you start talking poop about it, you ignorant fools.

Yes, were all exposed to it only because its advertised and all that on the radio, thats what most people listen to. I dont listen to the radio at all, I was just saying what I said because its true. I dont even listen to anything on radio really, i use CD's or Ipod. So Thanks,

Reaction score
Ofcourse it is? Dude don't get carried away by going with everything old. No one in this world likes old cartoons unless somethings wrong with ur brain. Stick to one topic please.

If most of the world sees a difference in old and new rap there is obviously something different there. So what if they rap about the same poop, girls, sex, gangs, what else is there to rap about? Doing your homework lmfao.

Its the lyrics and the way the song is thats totally different. Not really expecting you to understand but anyways idk if you get my point or not but a lot of people knows what im trying to say.

So you agree with me, then? And by the way, I prefer old cartoons. I am sticking to one topic, you just can't seem to realize that they are all related. What else is there to rap about? Really? See, this is what I meant by the term ignorant. Life does not revolve around sex and luxuries, although it would be nice. Again, you're not providing any examples. I'm not arguing that old rap lyrics are different than new rap lyrics, but please, provide differences between the two. Yes, Eazy-E and Tupac's lyric were simple and flowed well, and yes, Lil Wayne's lyrics aren't always perfect, but sometimes they are well constructed and played out. You may defend old rap lyrics because of the fact that they were simple. Okay, and what if a "new rapper" has the same style? Then what's your argument?

I dont even listen to anything on radio really, i use CD's or Ipod. So Thanks,

Hahahah, I won't even be bothered to respond to this. I will just laugh.

Back