• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

OpenCMS [OOP][CodeIgniter][MySQLi][jQuery]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Please, stop posting stupid posts...

Yes, it might be more code but frameworks are there to make things easy and to make a better support (when done right). About the speed decreasing, please un-plug your internet.
Lol, easy?
I can make the same cms in 4 simple files with absolutely same features. BUT I SHULD USE FRAMEWORK

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Lol, easy?
I can make the same cms in 4 simple files with absolutely same features. BUT I SHULD USE FRAMEWORK

If you are so good why havent i seen a development from you?
And a cms in 4 files? Please learn code again, this is impossible...

----
Typos? Blame the iphone.

Occasional Visitor
Reaction score
Why use frameworks for CMS for Habbo?
I mean, it's more code,
Using a framework means you can avoid writing much of the common code you would otherwise write. "Code on the shoulders of giants" if you will.
Once you know how to use most frameworks it will shave AT LEAST 80% off your development time. This means more motivation and more time to improve the actual project.

speed decrease,
Speed decrease... well yes and no. It's another abstraction layer so yes, it will theoretically slow it down.
But many include caching systems that have had countless programmer hours of works into compiling very efficient output. This output is often faster than non-expert (and I mean a true expert) hand written code.
Even if they don't include caching systems, the code is often anything but slow. If you want to prematurely micro optimise everything, write it in assembly.
Either way, programmer time is far more valuable than processor time.

harder to support..
Quite the reverse actually. By using a standard, well established framework, many people already understand the underlying system (and for those that don't, there is usually very good documentation out there. Not to mention places like stackoverflow). The remaining code is smaller, more structured and cleaner.
All of this makes it more supported as a programmer.

As a user it is also easier because these frameworks often handle errors and such in a much more useful manner. This will either point the user in the right direction or give them something more helpful to report (which will also be easier to fix because of what I said above).

And a cms in 4 files? Please learn code again, this is impossible...
Well technically it can be done in 1 file. In fact, both server and website could be one file. :)

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
@Rav4eG Seriously? That would be some nooby CMS for 1 query each and MySQL? Do you know mysql_* is deprecated? Everyone doesn't expect some nooby CMS which even a milk sucking baby could code, everyone expects a perfect up-to-date quick support CMS like RevCMS and UberCMS, and OpenCMS has a potential of being like them.

Reaction score
@Rav4eG Seriously? That would be some nooby CMS for 1 query each and MySQL? Do you know mysql_* is deprecated? Everyone doesn't expect some nooby CMS which even a milk sucking baby could code, everyone expects a perfect up-to-date quick support CMS like RevCMS and UberCMS, and OpenCMS has a potential of being like them.

By MySQL query they mean SQL Query, not the deprected MySQL lib for PHP

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Erm ... I don't think that the framework slow down the websites. The major reason of slow CMS' are the bad and the many sqls!
So ... I will release this CMS and you can use it or not. Whatever I have fun to develope this CMS, so if you don't like it - you don't have to use it ;)

I think it is good, that the CMS got a plugin system, so that's why it is very interesting to use this CMS :p

so far
Yannici

Last edited:
Google my name...
Reaction score
Erm ... I don't think that the framework slow down the websites. The major reason of slow CMS' are the bad and the many sqls!
So ... I will release this CMS and you can use it or not. Whatever I have fun to develope this CMS, so if you don't like it - you don't have to use it ;)

I think it is good, that the CMS got a plugin system, so that's why it is very interesting to use this CMS :p

so far
Yannici

Actually the framework will slow down the website, queries are a huge factor but having a lot of backend processing is just as bad. If you use a framework that tries to do a lot of things and lacks good caching then every webpage will load slow, it's why I said about Symfony, it has amazing caching as well as compressing javascript and css automatically. The fact that it uses Doctrine reduces your query load a lot too.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I was a little bit busy in the last weeks, sorry for that. Will work on the CMS when I have enough time :)

so far
Yannici

Elite Diviner
Reaction score
@Yannici I see. ;P Can I see some snippets of your code, like where you have used queries etc. I have never used CodeInteger so I wanted to know. :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@Yannici I see. ;P Can I see some snippets of your code, like where you have used queries etc. I have never used CodeInteger so I wanted to know. :p

That's an example, how I make a update of the users table, really simple.

so far
Yannici

Google my name...
Reaction score
@Yannici now that code is confusing to me, I'll just make my own tpl engine, later soon.

How is that confusing..? The data array is the fields being updated and the rest is pretty clear, the only bit that annoys me is the fact the where clause is first, usually it'd be update, where, execute.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How is that confusing..? The data array is the fields being updated and the rest is pretty clear, the only bit that annoys me is the fact the where clause is first, usually it'd be update, where, execute.
Don't work in CodeIgniter in that way. The update-function directly execute the query, so you have to set the where-clause before calling the update-function.

update: It is now possible to make a full database backup over the admin panel ;-)

so far
Yannici

Last edited:
Google my name...
Reaction score
Don't work in CodeIgniter in that way. The update-function directly execute the query, so you have to set the where-clause before calling the update-function.

so far
Yannici

I don't understand why they do it that way though. If you look at any good framework it's always query, where, execute.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I don't understand why they do it that way though. If you look at any good framework it's always query, where, execute.
In this case I'm doing it wrong, it's my fault. Sure, it works, but you can add the where clause to the update-function. That's what I read on the CodeIgniter documentation 10 minutes ago. E.g. $this->db->update('users', $data, array('id' => $id));

so far
Yannici

Last edited:
Elite Diviner
Reaction score
@Yannici does CodeInteger have a parser like {hi} nd stuff like in RevCMS? Plus this is going to be one of the best CMS' I think.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@Yannici does CodeInteger have a parser like {hi} nd stuff like in RevCMS? Plus this is going to be one of the best CMS' I think.
No, but you can implement Smarty easily. I'm using <?php echo $var; ?> to output the data. And I don't want to implement it, because it would be much work to find all outputs and change these ... So, If you want to, you can do that by yourself when the CMS has been released.

so far
Yannici

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I need some of you to test my CMS :) Just to test the main features and maybe can make some suggestions :)
Please write a pm to me !

so far
Yannici

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back