Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Private Opening a v28 maplestory server

Stay smart, be yourself
Reaction score
Dear readers,

I'm about to open a new maplestory server and I'd like to know whether v28 will do good in our community or not.
[By that i refer to the amount of people who'd like to play in such a nostalgic version.]

Please write your opinion below and/or vote on the poll so I'll be able to determine the status of the nostalgic versioners.

Thanks and have a great day!

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Dear readers,

I'm about to open a new maplestory server and I'd like to know whether v28 will do good in our community or not.
[By that i refer to the amount of people who'd like to play in such a nostalgic version.]

Please write your opinion below and/or vote on the poll so I'll be able to determine the status of the nostalgic versioners.

Thanks and have a great day!

Interesting poll. In my humble opinion, the community is divided into two parts: the nostalgic folks, and the newer generation. Those who appreciate the nostalgia will most likely enjoy the v28. This is evident from the rise of a v62 server (namely MapleRoyals). They get a solid 300-400 players online, which is very impressive. The problem at hand right now is what will you do to make the nostalgic players flock from MapleRoyals to your server? What will you do to set yourself apart? An older version does have its benefits but also drawbacks (the lessening of features such as training spots).

Long story short: Yes, if you play your cards right. You need to earn player loyalty.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I would be pretty damn happy to see a v28 server, and so would the others. A lot of people playing private servers would be pretty darn happy to know that there's a v28 server, to enjoy their nostalgic experience, or something like that. The server will probably go well, with the amount of people it's gonna attract, just like the v40 right now. Although, some people may question why a v28 from nowhere, because you don't see v28 everywhere now-a-days. Tl;dr, It's gonna be a great project, and I can't wait for it.

C# developer
Reaction score
no, you're taking away my goal i set 1.8 years ago, another version pls

if people wanted a v28 so badly, i could of opened one long long ago lol now it's just an src collecting dust

You've had your chance and you missed it. now its someone's else's turn.

Your Java source can keep collecting more dust as it was cruelly abandoned by its maker and maybe even got sold to others, who knows.

Face the fact that there are more people who want this version, not just you, gil or whatsoever.

I personally vouch for this server as I really would like to play in that old version. ring a bell? @sunnyboy.

C# developer
Reaction score
don't get me wrong, i'm down to play someone else's v28 and sell some hacked clients on the side
@xStr0nGx and of course I'm not selling it - not even to you lol

I no longer need it. That ship has sailed long ago bro.

And we'll see about the hacked clients.

Reaction score
I no longer need it. That ship has sailed long ago bro.

And we'll see about the hacked clients.

We don't "want v28", it's just a version both me and sunnyboy started working on and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. That's just stupid.
Smile Nothing wrong with that, just keep in mind that even v.62 is limited. Why is it limited? Because there are not enough equips to support higher level players or enough areas to explore. Sure, it's fun to experience nostalgia, but not for a long-term server in my opinion.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Honestly, in my opinion, many players will no longer be enthralled by lower rate servers bellow a certain version because they are so used to the explicit content. I have seen, so far, two servers who have opened version fourty. The first one was up for two months with only two-hundred people register. The other is on gtop as of this moment, but their website displays IIS7. If you believe you can do it, there is no reason to not give it a try. Many of my friends laughed at low rate version sixty two before it became a thing, now dispel no sound.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
i think it might be nice (i wont play it since well i don't have any v28 nostalgia since i started at 158~159 then quit and got into private servers), wouldn't mind playing a low-rate MSEA or KMS since it could be different from the same old GMS i'm use to playing.

Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you mean by higher level players?
Not really, I just wanted clarification for what Fraysa was talking about here:
We don't "want v28", it's just a version both me and @sunnyboy started working on and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. That's just stupid.
@Smile Nothing wrong with that, just keep in mind that even v.62 is limited. Why is it limited? Because there are not enough equips to support higher level players or enough areas to explore. Sure, it's fun to experience nostalgia, but not for a long-term server in my opinion.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not really, I just wanted clarification for what Fraysa was talking about here:

Oh, he means the equips the players can use. (Hats, shield, glove, pants, overall, weapon, etc) There aren't any higher level equips because it's a low version; therefore, there's no like level 120+ equips. You're essentially going to be a level 200 with level 70 gear.

Of course, this is all thrown away when you incorporate wz editing though.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I joined GMS on v28. That was like, 2004? Holy **** that brings back memories, like actually seeing a GM or doing an event. Best of luck, community responses are accurate. The players you're developing for care less than you do, as cruel as that may sound, it's true.

Reaction score
That's the thing - people never needed the high level equipment back then because they never reached those levels, so it was fine by that time. However, a private server usually has increased experience modifiers meaning you will get yourself into a situation where players need higher level equipment or mobs to train. That's the same thing with .62 servers or even .55.

That's just my opinion - after all that's your choice. I wouldn't recommend it for a long-term server, however if it's a server just to experience some nostalgia - go for it. It's fun.

Best of luck to you sir.

Reaction score
That's the thing - people never needed the high level equipment back then because they never reached those levels, so it was fine by that time. However, a private server usually has increased experience modifiers meaning you will get yourself into a situation where players need higher level equipment or mobs to train. That's the same thing with .62 servers or even .55.

That's just my opinion - after all that's your choice. I wouldn't recommend it for a long-term server, however if it's a server just to experience some nostalgia - go for it. It's fun.

Best of luck to you sir.
Oh okay, now I understand what you meant.

not a programmer
Reaction score
I joined GMS on v28. That was like, 2004?
0.28 (15 Aug 2006)
- Deep Sea Gorge
- Pianus
level 80-100 equips were added in 0.16

Which version did Orbis first come out with? Was it 0.12 or earlier?

Last edited:
Back