• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Origins Of Numetal

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In the 1980s many things happened in music, heavy metal saw mainstream attention, speed, thrash, and death were born, and various hardcore spinoffs were formed too.

Our story begins in 1990.

A seven or eight year old band called Pantera releases their debut album Cowboys from Hell. This album took the thrashy sound of Metallica and fused that with the speedy at times and slow at times sound of Megadeth, but with a completely different vocal styling.

They see mainstream success in 1990 and 1991, and they're planning their second album, it has to be heavier and darker than the last they say...

In 1992, Pantera - Vulgar Display of Power was born. It moved away from the thrashy sound for a darker sound, sometimes very fast, sometimes very slow, but always dark and doom metal esque a lot of the time.

We call this new genre Groove Metal.

Around the same time the band Rage Against the Machine, inspired by such acts as Anthrax & Public Enemy, and Aerosmith & Run-D.M.C., decides to fuse rap/hip-hop with hardcore punk, forming rapcore. They release their debut album in 1992, but it makes the charts in 1994, shooting them to international fame.

Pantera's Vulgar saw greater fame than Cowboys, and people took notice, not only did they attempt to emulate it, but used it as the base for new concepts.

NWOBHM + Hardcore Punk = Thrash Metal, so obviously Groove Metal + Rapcore = xMetal, right?

People assume that since numetal is 'heavy' it is metal, but note that metalcore is heavy and fast but still punk, and there are other genres such as crossover thrash (thrashcore) and deathcore that fuse death metal and thrash metal with hardcore, with hardcore being dominant in speed and vocals. I've heard thrashcore bands that are ten times as heavy as Slipknot (See D.R.I.).

Groove Metal, Vulgar's creation, plus Rapcore, Rage's creation, made nu'metal', which in all reality should be called nucore.

Does this mean nu'metal' is bad because the title lies? No. This means it's just a misleading name. I myself enjoy hardcore and hardcore fusions where hardcore is dominant...

Basically, Groove Metal's darkness, vocals, and heaviness is fused with rapcore's vocal styling, weird time signatures, weird beats and guitars, and use of samples + DJ noises made nu'metal'.

In concluding, nu'metal' is actually nucore, and therefore should be tagged as such. Unless you're the type that thinks Lamb of God is metal because of the 'metal' in metalcore. If you're that stupid, tag numetal artists as numetal. But for smart people, nucore is the way to correctly tag them. So learn to label your Ducking bands correctly FFS!

Linkage: Disturbed, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, KoЯn, Static-X, Ill Niño, Powerman 5000, Mudvayne, Nothingface, Slipknot

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
dont forget actually some black metal bands came in around...88-92 as well, celtic frost, venom, etc.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
hmm intresting nice post

linkin park would be the best example out of all the bands ; well the old stuff

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
hmm intresting nice post

linkin park would be the best example out of all the bands ; well the old stuff
Yeah, the old Linkin Park is the only stuff I ever listened to. And even then, I didn't listen to it for long.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
dont forget actually some black metal bands came in around...88-92 as well, celtic frost, venom, etc.

What the heck? xD

Wow, you got it just the way it is concerning the origins of nucore
Nice article =]
rep++ Iron_Maiden

Back