• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

PC Fan - Laptop

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well... I really dont know whats going on with the fan in my laptop. Everytime I turn on my laptop, the fan doesnt function, and the laptop cannot continue working without the fan. I hear 2 beeps and the screen says "Fan error" and turns off. I would really have to give a good smack on my laptop to get the fan working lol. Trust me, it really works.

When the fan finally works, I usually hear these strange noises coming from the fan. Its like a motor engine, its loud, and it continues to make that sound for awhile. Once my computer finishes loading up, I experience MAJOR LAG. Did the fan reduce the performance of my computer? I really dont know. But yeah, Is there any way I could fix this stupid problem without having to buy a new fan? If I do have to buy a new fan, how much does it cost? o_O

Thanks

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
What brand/model is it?

Is it still under warranty?

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
of course if the heat from your laptop doesn't come out it will decrease performance or turn off..do you still have the manuals?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Laptop fan failing = heat = processor throttling = hits temp limit = shuts down

The cost of the fan isn't a problem, that will be next to nothing, the problem is getting inside a laptop, and being able to put it all back together.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey guys im back. And uhh Thanks for the reply. Now time to answer some questions... (Ill try my best to answer them. Im not smart with computer hardware and stuff)

Brand/Model - IBM Thinkpad? Windows XP not Vista

Warranty - I dont know... my dad actually found this laptop for free :D All was left was this laptop itself. (Yes I know im very lucky lol)

and no manuals :(

Any ideas?

Reaction score
You need a new fan. Just replace it. You should be able to buy one from IBM and it wont cost much money.

If you don't then say good buy because continuing to use it like that will result in damage to the motherboard (from you hitting it) and CPU (from prolonged overheating).

Nopeace - out

A hard working geek :-)
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yep, definatly giving the thumbs up on NoPeace at this one.

That sound you are hearing are the bearings giving out in it.. eventually it will fully die, and I woudl give this life span a very short time. In most cases you can send in fo r areplacement and do it yourself. Or you may have to bring it to a local dealer so you don't end up voiding the warranty.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Ite... Thanks for the tips. I guess Ill buy a new fan.
I fully forgotten that hitting my laptop will also damage my motherboard >.<
baddd...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thats probually why mines so slow i hit it all the time droped it on the floor 3 times, and lags like hell

Back