• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Ping...

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Well since yesterday my ping for SA:MP and Vent have shot up.
My ventrilo ping is ranging 6,000-30,000 Ping... Yeh I know.
My SA:MP ping is roughly 400-600 Ping.

Two Days ago my vent ping was 100-160 and SA:MP about the same.

What has happened? It can't be me, My internet is 16MB. I have scanned with Ad Aware, Spybot and ESET and thats all clean. I've portforwarded the ports used by Ventrilo Hosts and SA:MP server host and disabled firewalls.

Can anyone help please?

- Sam

Reaction score
So what if your net is 16mb? The line speed does not have anything to do with the ping at all, i could get 20 ping on dialup. Ping depends on how far away you are from the server,

1. reboot your router.
2. reboot your PC
3. make sure all cables are in properly
4. make sure one of the cables are damaged or have knots in them.
5. make sure one of the cables are longer than 2 meters.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
So what if your net is 16mb? The line speed does not have anything to do with the ping at all, i could get 20 ping on dialup. Ping depends on how far away you are from the server,

1. reboot your router.
2. reboot your PC
3. make sure all cables are in properly
4. make sure one of the cables are damaged or have knots in them.
5. make sure one of the cables are longer than 2 meters.
1- I have rebooted it and have turned it off for 30 seconds.
2- Did this many times
3- All cables are in correctly.
4- Not damaged and no knots in them at all.
5- They are.

Still, high ping :( It only started yesterday...

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Go to start > Run > cmd.exe > ping google.com . High ping there? In that case, it's a problem on your side.

Download a program like Cfosspeed and use it to monitor your bandwidth. How much is being used, what programs use it etc.

Is it possible someone hooked up on your net? Sharing the net with others?

Do you have Bittorrent on your computer? Make sure to turn BTDNA.exe off.

There can be many, many reasons. Most of the time it's other people on the net and viruses/spyware.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Pinging Google ain't a use, already said, it's how far you are from the server.

Reaction score
No, ping problems aren't caused by distance to server only >.> Basic internet knowledge.

Basic internet knowledge is also that to get to one server you first go (or "hop") through 30 or more other servers. Hence why the distance of each of them to you is relevant. More distance = higher ping and they may have bad/inferior cabling which would introduce more line noise which also increases ping.

As i said, it can be caused by anything. But to run some troubleshooting tests to make sure it isn't your hardware, ping the following:
Your LAN IP
Your gateway's IP
Another LAN computer if you have o ne

If all of them come out fine then it is not a problem with your hardware and hence you cannot do anything about it.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
Basic internet knowledge is also that to get to one server you first go (or "hop") through 30 or more other servers. Hence why the distance of each of them to you is relevant. More distance = higher ping and they may have bad/inferior cabling which would introduce more line noise which also increases ping.

As i said, it can be caused by anything. But to run some troubleshooting tests to make sure it isn't your hardware, ping the following:
Your LAN IP
Your gateway's IP
Another LAN computer if you have o ne

If all of them come out fine then it is not a problem with your hardware and hence you cannot do anything about it.

"No, ping problems aren't caused by distance to server only"

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
dont forget, it could be ur ISP bitching lol.

Back