• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Priston Tale Server on Ubuntu Linux 10

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Split 7Zip in 200Meg chunks, 4 parts. Extracted image is about 4.5Gig (would fit on a DVD) but the hard disk can grow to 20Gig with use / installation etc.
[strike]
Ttm5O - Priston Tale Server on Ubuntu Linux 10 - RaGEZONE Forums

[/strike]
NEW LINKS
Ttm5O - Priston Tale Server on Ubuntu Linux 10 - RaGEZONE Forums

Preferable is the following OVA (Open Virtual Archive?) It should import into VMWare or VirtualBox without issues. (it's an open, industry standard archive format for porting virtual machines...)
MX8xC - Priston Tale Server on Ubuntu Linux 10 - RaGEZONE Forums

Yes... the problem with the OVA is that it is 1.3G large, and 6 parts instead of 4. :(: It won't require you to have so much free memory, but will require more downloading.

Some people had issues with the 7z split archive. It's big, it needs a lot of free memory, and it needs a fairly recent version of 7zip with .xz / LZMA2 support? (WinRAR is probably not up to the job)

So... This is Vormavs virtual machine, with my tweaks. Most notably that it is now under 800Meg download.

First off, you will probably want to increase the RAM, and possibly the number of CPUs or CPU cores... depending on your system. It's set to 512Meg RAM and one, single core CPU. Which actually works pretty swiftly, but doesn't leave a lot of capacity for the server.

If VMWare (Workstation 7+ or Player 2+ should work fine) asks if you copied or moved it... say you copied it.

Next, you're going to want to know the passwords.
U=vormav P=pass
U=root P=pass

For the SQL, the password is "123456" without quotes.

If you open this box to the net, you will, of course, change those. XD

You may want to use this hotuk.ini
Code:
*ODBC_TABLE_PLAY
*ODBC_TABLE_PASSWORD
*ODBC_TABLE_IDNAME
*ODBC_TABLE accountdb
*ODBC_PASSWORD 123456
*ODBC_ACCOUNT root
*ODBC_NAME c8master

*MODE SERVER
*SERVER_CODE 0
*SERVER_NAME kpts
//*VERSION 3096
*SERVER_AUTOPLAY
*GAME_SERVER kpts 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
*ENABLE_CLAN
*CLAN_SERVER 127.0.0.1 80 127.0.0.1 80
*MAX_USERS 200
*ENABLE_PARTYITEM
*SERVER_RECORD_MEM
*CHECK_POTION_COUNT 10000
*CLIENT_CHECK_PROCESS_TIME 30
*CLIENT_PROCESS_TIME_OUT
*EVENT_HARDCORE
*ENABLE_SERVER_EXP 100
*EVENT_POTION 10
//*CONNECT_CLIENT_CODE -1128564151
//*CLSAFE_CODE -1128564151

*BACKUP_FOLDER_NAME "c:\databasebackup"
*BACKUP_PATH "c:\databasebackup"

*DEBUG_ID "a"
*DEBUG_IP 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
*ADMINISTRATOR_IP 127.0.0.1
*ADMIN_IP 127.0.0.1

*ADMIN_LOGIN "a"

*ADMIN_NAME "a"
*ADMIN_COMMAND "1"
*ADMIN_COMMAND "2"
*ADMIN_COMMAND "3"

Finally, you will want to copy over everything except BMPs and TGAs from your clients \field and \char folders as normal. VMWare tools is installed, drag'n'drop files from host to guest OS works in the Vormav account, but not if you use an interactive "root" logon.

The server is Shagpubs Mini-PT (minied a bit more, and set to default rates) then updated with his Endless-Tower-V2.2 update.

If you want to connect a client to this new server while it is running (it goes in the notification area by default and you have to double click it out of there) then work out the IP and connect a NoXTrap KPT client with the user "a" password "a".

Everything is running via ODBC, and the usual ClanSodManager doesn't work under Wine... so the next step is to get on board and start helping us re-write SQL.dll and Clan.dll. ^_^

Big big big thanks to Shagpub, Vormav and the Debian and Ubuntu Linux teams for allowing this release to become a reality. Anyone I forgot... please feel free to shout at me, it's not intentional.

--- EDIT ---
What Is It Good For
You can run this Virtual Machine on any OS that supports VMWare, or VirtualBox (though VMWare Tools won't work under VirtualBox, they have their own tools) or maybe even VirtualPC.

You could Ghost it and restore the image to your Physical hardware... Ubuntu seems pretty lenient about massive hardware changes between boots. You can use one of the many V2P methods to transfer it to your actual hardware, or you can attach a physical drive to the VM, and dd the virtual disk to the physical one, and then boot off the physical drive.

Most importantly... you can run this VM without installing anything to play PT locally. You don't need to run any setup or install anything on your own PC (except a VM environment) and because it's not Windows I can distribute a running server in a manner you don't have to install... so you can think of it as a "portable" PT server.

What is it NOT Good For
If you have a Linix Dedi, you will either have to run this VM on it, or you will have to use this VM as a template for how to set Priston Tale up on you real Dedi.

They don't usually let you choose Ubuntu 10 as the Linux OS you want to run, and it seems that it is only the custom patches Ubuntu have made to Wine which allow it to run a PT server like this.

So for that, it's not very useful.

This is not an application to install on Linux this is a PT Server Appliance that you can run on anything under a Virtual Machine.

There is nothing special about this PT server, and there is little that is special about the Linux install, except Ubuntu 10 patches to Wine and the fact that I slimmed it down specifically to do nothing but run a PT Server.

I cannot think of an easier way to package this server so you can install it on your Linux dedi than shagpubs mini-PT + ET2.2 update already is. Except I could repack the RAR / ZIP file as a .tgz... but that is pointless and I'm sure you can do that. XD

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
When I open it with 7zip, it says the compression method is not valid... :(:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
When I open it with 7zip, it says the compression method is not valid... :(:

Try with different version of 7zip, maybe not beta or beta XD I don't know with witch bobsobol compressed it. I prefer to make SFX archive so anyone can open it.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Alright, the beta version did work :p testing mode now :D:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Try with different version of 7zip, maybe not beta or beta XD I don't know with witch bobsobol compressed it. I prefer to make SFX archive so anyone can open it.
I prefer not to make SFX as there is no executable format that is "executable" on every platform. :eek:tt2: ELF won't run on Windows, Match0 won't run on Linux etc.

Besides which, I always strip executable headers from SFX or don't download at all, since they are common target of Virus. Why would you make an SFX archive, but to pass to another person / machine, or to restore after re-installing your OS... perhaps because it got infected? What a great place to infect. :wink:

--- EDIT ---

Having said that, I now realise that the latest version of on OS X is 9.04 and doesn't support LZMA2 compression either. So I should probably have bitten the bullet and put up with the slower compression and decompression speed of regular LZMA. The size doesn't usually change that much.​
---/EDIT ---

"7-Zip [64] 9.10 beta Copyright (c) 1999-2009 Igor Pavlov 2009-12-22" created this split file with LZMA2 compression algorithm.

This comes with Win64 release version. 9.13 is the latest version on .

--- EDIT2 ---

I found a compatible solution for Mac users, claims to support unencrypted 7zip archives with LZMA2 (and it's native .XZ format, just as it should) and replaces your native "BOMArchiveHelper.app" which should be good.

While I'm here, DarWine is no better than Wine for running the game.exe, so you can probably run the server under DarWine (on a Mac) the same as you can on Linux, but you won't be able to play on your Mac, unless you BootCamp it over to Windows. The commercial implementations that claim to run Windows games on Mac don't fair any better because of the unusual manner in which game.exe mixes 2D and 3D work in DirectX. (that 3D drawing in DirectDraw, not Direct3D thing)​
---/EDIT2---

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
woho tnx for the files :O
files not found :\
can you reupload plz?

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Links updated. The old ones claim either I took them down or someone complained... well I didn't take them down, and there's no infringement so IDK what that's about. XD

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
:]
tnx dude
my friend have dedi server well be great to host a israeli server :D

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know of a couple already. XD I'm sure you know you will not be the first, and have some competition.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
theres a israeli server :O?
can you pm with names or something?

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
LegacyPT (Imri & co.) is Israeli... though the DNS servers are US, so you wouldn't necessarily know.

I also know avi20 and some others (kashi? maybe? memory not good.) where running a server in Israel, but I'm afraid don't know the urls.

Oh, I suggested that translating to Hebrew might be really nice, but they all poopooed that idea. I guess Bi-Di will be a big problem. XD

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
*_Bump_*
Re-opened this thread, as I found my backup, and this may help jog Vormavs' memory as to what he did before for his .

[strike]Alternative files (not all in OP yet) are uploading as I type. ^_^[/strike]

--- EDIT ---
All up... again.

P.S. grimske1 asked what the passwords are, which was probably as much to do with the thread close... In case he returns to it now, read the OP... it was always there.

Last edited:
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I thought so too, but VMWare refer to .OVF as a "virtual appliance" and .OVA as a "compatibility archive". So I "guessed" my initial idea was wrong. I couldn't find any "independent" documentation, but remember the big VM providers conferring to get a single interchangeable "standard". (I guess it's like buses, you wait ages for one to come along, and then you get 2 at once XD)

They are all a VM Appliance.

The difference between saving as .OVF and .OVA is that .OVF requires you to distribute 4 or 5 files which can be imported by VMWare or VirtualBox, and a .OVA export makes a single file which can be imported by VMWare, VirtualBox and (reputedly) VirtualPC. (I say "reputedly" because I've not actually tried, myself)

To my mind, then, the difference between OVF and OVA is that OVF is a collection of Appliance files and an OVA is a single Appliance Archive. But I think Gregoo is right and, what-ever VMWare think, I suspect that .OVA is the more common format across all versions... that's why I used it. :D:

Found an "independent"(??) description in , and it seems to suggest that I did the right thing, because "distribution" is exactly what I wanted. :D:

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
From what I understood an OVF package, as in Open Virtualization Format package, is a set of file.
One of these files is a .ovf file, which is a XML file describing the different files in your set, and what are their purpose.

OVA is simply a TAR of the set.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Awesome! It is a tar archive. :D:
WKTSe - Priston Tale Server on Ubuntu Linux 10 - RaGEZONE Forums

My Frugalware DotNet (Mono) development VM​
I knew it wasn't a .zip despite what others had been saying. (why does everybody think any "archive" is a zip archive?:mad:)

Thanks Gregoo! That will make creating an OVA when I forget to change the drop down from OVF much easier. :thumbup1:

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not any more. You should try to get version anyway. :wink:

Back