• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

PT doesnt crash after log off / change users

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How to make that PT will not crash after User Log off / change users? ( i mean windows+L )

there is any way to fix that it will not crash cuz when i do log off / change user = it crashes.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've not seen PT crash as such when logging off. It's end task methods are (like most of it's programming) not the "orthodox" method, but it's acceptable. Typically the program calls
Code:
PID=GetProcessID(NULL);
TerminateProcess(PID);
or
Code:
ExitProcess(RetCode);
without any attempt to deallocate threads, mallocs, locks, critical sections, device contexts, windows, DirectX or WinSock instances or anything.

That's bad programming (the kind of thing which forced you to reboot Win9x every 3 hours) but under NT Kernels all of these things are associated with their owners Process ID and the Kernel will clean them up for you when the PID is removed from the active list. (It assumes the process terminated unexpectedly or caught a critical error and had to "bail out" fast.)

If you have Windows in a "debug" mode (either having installed the DDK or MSDebug or by setting in the registry or boot-manager because you want to use unsigned drivers on Vista or Seven) you may well receive a warning that the process terminated unexpectedly. But, again, if you try testing PT for unusual behaviour or profiling any aspect of it's performance you will hit thousands of erroneously used API calls every second it's running. So the "cheap and cheeky" manner it shuts down is the least of it's problems.

I don't know of a way to "switch user" without logging out and logging back in... which has always been a bit of a pain, but I think the server associates a player name with the useID you logged in with and wont change that till you log in again.

Last edited:
Back