• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Question about MAC address

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So yea my friend told me I should hide my MAC address becauase im using wireless connection on my laptop.

So anybody could recommend any programs I could use`?

Btw I have no idea what mac address is and what it is used for :eek:

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
a Mac address is just like your ip address, except it never changes (unless you change your NIC) and it uses hex instead of binary. as for hiding it as far as im aware its mostly used for idetification between devices on your network and it never goes further than your modem, i suppose this could be an issue on an open wireless connection but its not really gonna cause you an issue.

Reaction score
In extremely simple terms - it is the "serial number" of your network card. It never changes, and it is unique to you.

As Ram said, it never goes past your router so there is no way anyone can access it from the internet, and even if they did, there is hardly anything they can do with it anyway. If you are on wireless, i would not recommend hiding your MAC address, instead, block all MAC addresses except for your own, so nobody else can use your wireless.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Ow thanks for the tips :eek:
But im gonna use this laptop to connect on a public network so I wonder if its stil a good idea to show my mac address ;s

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
exellent thx rish.
Thread cloosed ;d

Back