• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Question]Double internet speed?

C# Developer
Reaction score
Hah, this question just came out of the blue, and wouldnt be surprised at all if this wont work. But is it possible to connect to modems into the same computer using two nic cards, and possibly increasing your internet speed? I know there are tweaks you can do with windows xp to boost your internet speed, but that just isnt enough for me :p. Just wondering if its possible to add 2 modems into the same computer to increase net speed.

C# Developer
Reaction score
alright, thanks a lot. Ive been told it uses wingate, so im ganna have to test it out i think.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
In theory, yes this would work. But only if you had two physical phone cables running from the exchange to your house. Simply getting a second phone line means it's still running across the same copper wires, which would make sense that each connection would run at half speed.

As for cable, I have no idea how that works, but I assume it follows the same principal.

C# Developer
Reaction score
yeah, i prolly wouldnt use a splitter, i would use a cable from a different room to make sure i get max connection.

Ex-Mod
Loyal Member
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, why can't you get DSL or cable?

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
If you don't mind my asking, why can't you get DSL or cable?

u mean DSL and cable at same time. The area may only support one of them, or ISP. DOnt really no only live in DSL area. Cable sounds better any way.

Mythic Archon
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Would be pretty nice if you could double you connection speed :p

I got a 20/1mbit dsl in my room, my mom got a 15/1mbit cable connection :p

There's no RL just AFK
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Would be pretty nice if you could double you connection speed :p

I got a 20/1mbit dsl in my room, my mom got a 15/1mbit cable connection :p

Lucky... i would be suprised if i'm even pushing 6mbit >.< god Scotland (well atleast my area) sucks for internet connection speeds.

Evil Scottish Overlord
Legend
Reaction score
Lucky... i would be suprised if i'm even pushing 6mbit >.< god Scotland (well atleast my area) sucks for internet connection speeds.

I'm with Virgin Media, I get 11Mbps.

Why exactly do you want to double your internet connection anyways, if you don't mind me asking. I'd see perfect sense in it if your connection was pretty weak.

There's no RL just AFK
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I'm with Virgin Media, I get 11Mbps.

Just checked with Virgin Media, seems after typing my postcode in, it's still as bad as i have currenty got >.> Ahh well, i will just have to wait for better/more cabling systems ^^

right + down + X
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Wow I thought I was slow...I'm rocking 12/1mbit with my speed boost hitting up to 22/1.5mbit..... Oh well...As for two lines, I'd imagine you would have to have two separate connections at your house, not to mention that your cable company has to have a strong enough signal to send that much data your way...I wanna try that at my house, but cable is expensive... Trying to upgrade to a 20mbit line, but it's no in my area

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
what wrong with your net connection :s
I mean u can get 16 mb these days :/ Thats top notch speed.

And yeah that should work.

/Fate

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Not everybody can get top speeds. I live around 4000 metres from the exchange around here (straight line). I get 120KB/s top speed. Sucks eh.

I also hate BT for pushing ADSL2+ and blowing their budget on that instead of laying fiber optics.

C# Developer
Reaction score
hah, im currently only getting 5mb/s from cable, wanting to get more, just for gaming purposes hah

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Not everybody can get top speeds. I live around 4000 metres from the exchange around here (straight line). I get 120KB/s top speed. Sucks eh.

I also hate BT for pushing ADSL2+ and blowing their budget on that instead of laying fiber optics.

Good god that is bad. BT in chesterfield give 4 meg internet.
Mine has 4 meg on ADSL2+ and only 350Kb upload.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
with comcast cable it read's 100mb/s for me.....idk but i barely get maybe 6mb/s for games what a rip off..

Back