Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

[Question + Request] Weapon modeling

GFX Maniac
Loyal Member
Reaction score
So, I'd like to start modeling weapons for flyff, but I don't know where or how to make them...

What I'd like to ask you is:
Which program should I use (is Zbrush good? I have it)

I'd like you to provide me with links for tutorials (good ones) which can let me begin with modeling weapons and so... You get me :D

Reaction score
Zbrush is for sculpting , it's not for modeling. Modeling is 3d MAX , Maya , Blender if you prefer free one , and perhaps Cinema 4D , however Cinema 4D is more for movies than games. Now depends on complexity of the weapons you want to model , those things are pretty easy to make in any of the 3 I posted above. I actually did model for my own game in 3d MAX , a table and some chairs , with absolutely no knowledge.

One thing that will make you cry , is when you need to unwrap and apply a texture it. I mean that's the hardest part ever. You can ask any 3D artist out there , modeling is easy , applying a texture it is the hard part.

So anyways back to the question , Blender has a whole education page here : , in which they have tons of tutorials , links to other sites with tutorials , community , etc.

3DS Max is a paid program , you can find tons of tutorials on YouTube , Maya the same.

GFX Maniac
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well, that's completely new to me, I know all those programs but... What is the difference betwen modeling and sculpting?

Reaction score
Sculpting , basically you take a big chunk of 3d model , such as a cube , and than with a brush you start scultping like sculptors lol , you never seen a sculptor? Now modeling is something else , you first make an artwork , preferably front and side, than nicely start modeling after it , and in the end it will look the same as your artwork.

Also sculpting is more for static , non movable 3D stuff , for showcases mostly. It is also used sculpt existing character models ... you know , add some detail to it.

You must also note that in games , the lowest poly's , you will get more perfromance. Say you want a ultra cool weapon or model with lots of details , that will significantly decrease performance , so always try to make it low poly , low quality , but to still look good , and that way the game will run smooth on any PC , and everyone will be happy.

GFX Maniac
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I've read about that part, I have to make the model, put it in a position which fits the hands of the char (based on existing models) and then convert the model to the correct file type (I think).
I thnk you can model it in every program and you just need to convert it properly...

I think thats it, if it's wrong please someone tell me

Back