Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

SciFi Is the Most Popular MMO Genre

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score

Newzoo's 2011 MMO Games Market Report shows that 36% of 39 million active MMO gamers in the US play games that have a SciFi or Space theme: 14 million in total. In European and Emerging markets, SciFi is less popular than in the US, with 27% and 26% of all MMO gamers respectively, but the number of players is still significant totaling 9.5 and 11.5 million. The key question MMO publishers are facing today is the choice between Free-To-Play (F2P) and Pay-To-Play (P2P). The majority of American SciFi MMO gamers only goes for F2P: 68% compared to 16% for P2P. The remaining 16% plays both F2P as P2P MMO games. Most F2P gamers play for free but still the absolute number of SCiFi MMO gamers spending money in F2P MMO games outnumbers the 4.5M P2P gamers.

SciFi MMO is my favorite also. Which genre of MMO do you like?

Reaction score
I can only think of maybe 3 SciFi mmos. Eve, STO, and SWTOR if they are counting it. Seriously, what else is there? Maybe they are just more advertised in America, which is why I don't know about them. But really if they are large enough to challenge the Fantasy genre, I'm quite confused.

1/11/1995 ~ 23/11/2011
Loyal Member
Reaction score
When you say MMO I think about fantasy, beautiful ancient magic stuffs and extraordinary creatures. Not sci-fi.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I always prefer sci-fi over fantasy. I don't know what other genres are there. Does FPS count? what if its a FPS sci-fi. lol.

Back