Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Shining , Blinking and Shimmering on items =D (x-tra easy)

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
..Hi.. i've seen in a thread before a guy asking about the aging textures, but when i finally learned about that (thanks to Vormav, Bobsobol, Hua and Ironfist XD) i couldn't find the thread to answer it..

The aging seems to be (i am almost sure of it ;d) an combination of blinking and scrolling effects..

-You can add the lvl 100 quest weapon glow in the item's server files and combine it with an scrolling effect (through the item's model).. Or adding both of the glowing and scrolling on the model..

To add the scrolling (mixing-like subtexture) effect on the models, first of all, export it to .ase , then open it on notepad.. On the material you assigned the mesh of the model, you add a * Map_Selfillum , with the name of "BS_ADD:FS_SCROLL9: " (without the quotes), much like it was an diffuse map. In this case below, i am using an mixing texture already existent in the dropiten folder..but you can use a new one of your creation xd..

ScreamingFox - Shining , Blinking and Shimmering on items =D  (x-tra easy) - RaGEZONE Forums

(you can adjust the tiling and/or a couple of other things =D)
Babel uses FS_SCROLL3:
Ironfist uses FS_SCROLL:
Frost uses FS_REFLEX:

To make the item blink (normal blinking, some would consider the primary glowing of the aging), put "BLINK_COLOR:" (ex: " BLINK_COLOR:whatever ") "right before the material name (in 3ds) of the material the item is using as texture, to define the color of the blinking, set the 'diffuse' and/or 'ambient' colors.. or if it would be an special non mixable/ageable item, you can add this line on the item's server side text file (on 'OpenItem' folder)..

ScreamingFox - Shining , Blinking and Shimmering on items =D  (x-tra easy) - RaGEZONE Forums

(you can copy and paste it from the lvl100 quest items text files, its in the beginning of the item text just after its name (..if its on another language and you try to find, but the parameters probably would be in the same order..))

These symbols should mean "Effect settings" in korean, and the parameters are:
Blue---Green---Red---Opacity(%)---Blinking speed/type (more=slower).
(according to experiments, done at a mysterious night in the Moriph's shack)

Probably combining those effects you can emulate any mix or age or way beyond *0*

Its impossible to use these shiny features to "skin-hack", btw.

Hope it helps someone.. (would help me if i forget XD)

@edit:aaa.. some of these features bug when the item is aged or mixed (can lose the original glow or the item becomes invisible), i suppose because its like putting some thing (in case, effects) forcefully on top of an other.

---------- Post added at 11:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

-Another interesting one, the inverted opacity trick XD
(for selective effecting purposes)

(AS USED IN BABEL MONSTER AND WEAPON)

In my "quest" to do the selective glowing/effecting on items, after a lot of wise instructions i read on this forum, I've learned that its possible to use opacity textures, and thats is done by using TGA's to texture the item, and, in these TGA's, adding an new channel, called "ALPHA 1", and the content of this channel will be an opacity subtexture (the black parts (on the ALPHA 1) will be invisible, and the white parts (on the ALPHA 1) will show, and some in between but gradients seem to be buggy in pt case).. and i remembered one of the 'oldest tricks in the book' regarding texturing, inverting the opacities..

This is recommended with models with a very low vertex count, like this shield above, with a lovely moon painted by Bobsobol THE master of modeling XD.. (because you would clone the item, would be costy (could be laggy at extremes, or simply doesn't show) if the model is too rich (high vertex/poly count))..

For an example, if i use these images (those (excluding the last) are the contents of the ALPHA 1 channels on the tga's)..:

Opacity for the moon part,in the material name of this one (on the material, in 3ds 'M key' window), i put "BLINK_COLOR:"..

Opacity for the rest of shield excluding rims, for this one i added the scrolling effect (mentioned on the first post) with the purple mix texture ..

Opacity for the rims, on this one i've added the scrolling (yellow-and-orange mix) and BLINK_COLOR: type with yellow glow.

The texture itself (..all of those are smaller than the originals..), all of those would seem like this one if you see them in a directory..

Note that you have 3 different meshes to export. Each one with its individual tga, which will define its opacity. In this case you would just clone them (ctrl+v) twice and assign the materials accordingly.
(in the case of the scrolling effect, i could only do it in the notepad, editing the .ase, i couldn't do it right from the 3ds..)

This would finally render like this in Priston Tale (spear was done with similar technique):

This kind of selective effecting (other way would be separating the mesh into two parts (the glower and the common) but that can give some transparency bugs or pt misteriously can create non existent vertexes (or something quite alike) on crappy places, and its very difficult to put complex glowing (in this case, the mere moon would probably double the vertex count) patterns with the mesh-splitting technique, BUT, on a higher poly model, i would go with the mesh-splitting, so i could delete the invisible parts and ease the processing.) can produce the most exacting selective glowing effects with a relatively low cost (depending on the model's poly count), like glowing writings on items can be done without creating hundreds of unnecessary polys, for an example...

OBS: When effected directly on the model, the item will shine/glow/shimmer (XD) even on the ground, "dropped"

The two tips above are probably the most relevant stuff i know on modeling to priston, hope someone can learn a bit from it =D

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Re: Couple of easy ways to emulate age/mix/beyond (some effect lines)..

(another adition (MORE POWER TO OUR EPIC WEAPONS MWAHAHAHA!!! XD) Never seen before in weapons/shields *-* )

-This is the '/beyond' section :drool:

AAAAhh.. guess what i've learned with the Frost from Ice? Another cool effect =D (reflection like the "metalic Mario" from Mario64)

Its implementation has similarities with the scrolling effect (its an self illumination map, and it has the BS_ADD: type), but its the FS_REFLEX: (all the rest is just the same as the scrolling illumination maps i mentioned above on the previous post)..

It goes like this (on the item's .ASE) :

*MAP_SELFILLUM {
*MAP_NAME "BS_ADD:FS_REFLEX:"
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
*MAP_SUBNO 5
*MAP_AMOUNT 1.0000
*BITMAP "C:\elfo\PRISTON TALE DEVELOPMENTS\MOD\MODweapons\Thor-Basic(ScreamingFox)\reflex.bmp"
*MAP_TYPE Screen
*UVW_U_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_V_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_U_TILING 1.0000
*UVW_V_TILING 1.0000
*UVW_ANGLE 0.0000
*UVW_BLUR 1.0000
*UVW_BLUR_OFFSET 0.0000
*UVW_NOUSE_AMT 1.0000
*UVW_NOISE_SIZE 1.0000
*UVW_NOISE_LEVEL 1
*UVW_NOISE_PHASE 0.0000
*BITMAP_FILTER Pyramidal
}

(relevant stuff in purple bold)

You have to make the reflection maps of your item as the mix maps would look lame at it..

And it renders like this in game:​

:lol:Now we got 'chrome' items:lol:

@edit: I just LOVED that chrome on the shield =DDD sweet! :)

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
I 'bumped' into this effect and remembered some thread i have read.. about a guy that was trying to 'add shadows' instead of glowing light. The textures i use could be way better but i think those suffice for this demonstration...

Now that we already saw the bright side, its time to learn the obscure side of 'the force' :blink:(of the effects alright XDD) Lets lay some darkness into our evilest items mwahahaheuhue (evol laughter =D)

--Probably used in the "devine-faced Moais" on the character selection screen--

The 'BS_SUBSTRACT:', just like the 'BS_ADD:', can accept BLINK_COLOR, FS_SCROLL(x), and FS_REFLEX, but, instead of letting the colors pass and ignoring the blacks (like the BS_ADD), the 'BS_SUBSTRACT' accept the blackness, and the whites are transparent, very odd and can bring very interesting results =D (i could have done with the normal mix textures, but using those it would be even darker in the second example)

(First one is a scroll but with the chrome tex. 2nd one is the same tex as the first, but with the BS_SUBSTRACT instead, just to show the difference..3rd and 4th are BS_SUBSTRACT, evidencing the whites being ignored, plus the addition colored and normal 'shadows')

As we all can see, the BS_SUBSTRACT also accept color, so we can also lay colored shadows (i should have used a darker purple in the third one xd..)

@edit: But i confess i never conceived a 'colored shadow' idea before.. XDD Priston never ceases to amaze me =D

Last edited:
Back