Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Should i upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Should i upgrade to vista?

For my laptop??

AMD Athlon 3000+ 64
1.8 GHz
2.4 GB DDR 400 Ram
256 MB Graphics Card ( nVidia 6150LE )

I'm a graphic fanatic so i want the areo, and no areo theme is better than the original, so should i upgrade?

This is my traveling laptop iuse it to listen to music sometimes

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
aero is useless. look around the net, get a shell replacement or a theme, add with stuff like emerge, rainmeter, samurize, add a dock, and you're good to go! if you work hard on it, say 2-3 weeks, others will start drooling over your laptop

BACON
Loyal Member
Reaction score
vista does suck, your better off keeping xp if your after perfomance

Supreme Arcanarch
Reaction score
well someone could argue with you about vista and XP
some may say that vista is safer and more user-friendly, but XP is for performance.
I don't upgrade to vista not because of the games, but because of the performance.
However there is one big problem with XP 32 bit: the RAM limit. I hate it! I have 4 GB of Ram, but XP shows that I have only 2 GB of Ram available, and that kind of sucks, and there is only one solution: upgrade to XP 64 bit.

It's up to you, but my recommendation is: stick with yjlasher22 advice.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Dont be a cat, do it.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
if u like xp u could stay with it and get a windows vista theme for the graphic =)
as u like graphic :D

Reaction score
Yeah but i can't find a 'full' transformation

As im a graphic fanatic, i really don't like that bootleg poop

I'll try getting that theme manager later forget what it's called again

Reaction score
Your friends setup is still better than yours, irregardless that you have more ram. So overall, he will still get better performance. If you have Vista on it may run OK, but prepare to cry when you try to move or copy folders/files.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
but my friends laptop

1 GB Ram, 2.0 GHz Athlon processor

it's pretty good, it's not fast, but it's not slow

Is it dual core? Cause it depends on duo,triple,quad cores also my laptop is 1.8Ghz single 60GB 3Gigs ram, and 128mb video card and vista works fine and fast for me. Unless you fill it with registries, viruses, and unless programs lol.

Your friends setup is still better than yours, irregardless that you have more ram. So overall, he will still get better performance. If you have Vista on it may run OK, but prepare to cry when you try to move or copy folders/files.

I have already cried my friend I have already cried... Lol.

Yeah but i can't find a 'full' transformation

As im a graphic fanatic, i really don't like that bootleg poop

I'll try getting that theme manager later forget what it's called again

What do you mean by "full transformation"? Do you mean the 299.95$ CD in best buy or future shop or whatever. Or the type of "bit torrent" and is one of the rules here no illegal programs? Either way I'm not gonna post it cause it's sorta obvious that it is one of the rules haha. Anyways good luck.

Reaction score
full transformation as in areo windows and poop everthing exact as vista

Also, my dad's friend told me he can over cloak my computer to maybe 2.5 GHz - 2.55 GHz

But i have to pay for the heatsinker, should i do it?

Reaction score
No, absolutely not.

You NEVER overclock a laptop, they will produce so much heat the laptop itself can actually melt, i have seen it happen. Because of their small size any heat increases are huge cos laptops generally already overheat regularly as it is. Not to mention that the heatsinks on a laptop are not big enough to actually dissipate that amount of heat.

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
yeah, to add on, use terracopy to move stuff, and if you want a simple peek on what you can do to the desktop , here's mine, though i did this only in like... 30 mins with some help in the forums. (im running vista, yes)

mine's made with emerge desktop and rainmeter with the hud.vision config and executor

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player:
via

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Legendary Battlemage
Loyal Member
Reaction score
yeah, to add on, use terracopy to move stuff, and if you want a simple peek on what you can do to the desktop , here's mine, though i did this only in like... 30 mins with some help in the forums. (im running vista, yes)

mine's made with emerge desktop and rainmeter with the hud.vision config and executor

----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player:
via

You can customize XP the same way...

Whats the point of this post?

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
the point is to show how to accelerate copying and what are some of the effects that can be made with these programs instead of plain old aero.and yes, you can customize xp this way too... its something like a sample i guess?

Reaction score
There is something called 'tiny vista' what about that

it says it only needs minimum of 256 mb ram, and 1.2 GHz

are those specs realistic or are they just Ducking with me

( i'd give you link, but i'd rather not get banned )

WHOOOOOO
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i think this is allowed... if not, tell me i will edit it away

here are the details:

No product key is needed. Windows Vista is activated upon installation. Windows is fully patched with all "important" Windows Updates to 8th may 2007. The 512Mb RAM memory requirement is reduced to just 256Mb. The requirement of almost 8Gb of disk space is reduced to less than 3Gb. This installation only takes up about 35% of the size of a normal installation of Windows Vista. Many components have been removed from this edition of Windows, but you still have Microsoft's three main programs:
* Internet Explorer 7
* Windows Mail (Formerly "Outlook Express").

You also have the new Aero theme in this edition of Windows and the ability to use Windows Update.
There are no services taken out of this special edition of Windows. Only three services have been disabled:
* Remote Registry
* Windows Error ReportingService
* Windows Search
You cannot do an upgrade installation from this CD, because the upgrade files have been removed. You can only install Windows by booting from the CD and formatting your partition or hard drive.
How To Install Windows
This unattended version of Windows is very easy to install. You can only install this edition of Windows onto a formatted partition or hard drive, in other words, you cannot do an upgrade installation from within Windows. To find out all the information on how to install this edition of Windows, open the eXPerience folder that is on the CD and open the file "2 - How To Install Windows.htm" This guide will show you exactly what to do, with full images of the setup screens.

Custom Tweaks
This edition of Windows is heavily modified for the best possible user experience, with more than 120 registry tweaks, you can see all the details of the changes made by looking at the file "5
- Custom Tweaks.htm" that is in the Release Info folder in the eXPerience folder on the CD.

Removed Components
This CD sized release of Windows Vista has had the following components removed using vLite:

Accessories
* Accessibility
* Speech Support
* Welcome Center

Drivers
* Display Adapters
* Modems Printers

Games

* Game Explorer
* Inbox Games
* Premium Inbox Games
Languages
* Japanese
* Korean
* Simplified Chinese
* Traditional Chinese
Multimedia
* Media Center Movie and DVD Maker
* Screensavers
* Wallpapers
* Windows Media Samples

System
* BitLocker Drive Encryption
* Help
* Microsoft Agent
* Natural Language
* Security Center
* Tablet PC
* Windows Defender
* Windows Easy Transfer
The ability to upgrade from an older version of Windows has also been removed manually after vLite was used. vLite does not support this at this moment in time, but this was done by removing every file and folder from the "sources" folder on the CD except the two Windows image files "boot.wim" and "install.wim"
Windows Updates
This special eXPerience edition of Windows Vista includes all the "important" Windows Updates up to Tuesday, May 8th, 2007. These hotfixes are installed silently near the end of the Windows install process...
* KB890830
* KB925902
* KB928089
* KB929399
* KB929735
* KB930178
* KB930857
* KB931573
* KB931768
* KB932246
* KB936824

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Aero is the main source why vista PC's are slow. the theme is a CPU hogger.

I have aero on my desktop PC; its very nice.

Worth it too, if your laptop will handle it. I advise you to use the vista upgrade advisor ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back