• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Show]Browser Multiplayer MMO Custom RPG Toolset

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
@mwmdragon So far as i've seen its great as project,
but with what coding language's you have made it with?

Also if you need some help i would take 50/50 of that headache hehe.

But seriously if you need help let me know it would be awesome to be part of your team creating such a great system.

- Aristonia

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It's being developed in PHP, MySQL, Javascript, HTML, CSS. My only problem is finding a community interested in it. Most game development communities don't consider browser games as actual game development.. and most RPG development communities are censored by the owners to use their "program or software" of choice and to delete posts about new RPG development systems.

I know I have a great system here, but I'll have to keep developing it until there is some community of users who can make use of it.

As it stands right now you can hand craft your own full Browser based MMO, and I thought that there would be more people interested in doing so, but it seems people don't want to do the work of making their own world they seem to just want a pre-generated world to alter, so I think the only way this project will appeal to anyone is if I promote it as an existing world, with a nice editing system. However the time it takes to balance and design a world as well as keeping development running is a huge task.

Have you done any game development in the past Aristona?

Reaction score
This seems like that it could have massive potential. A lot of the features are already there.

After briefly testing it, I think, that for release, you really need to be focusing most of your efforts on optimization.

Ingame is very unoptimized, sluggish, unpolished, and just plain unprofessional.

A window should open up near instantly. I clicked a button that popped up a supposed window, but all I saw was a red X[close button], and it appeared that it was still loading the window.

You need to make movement as fluid as can be. Right now, it's anything but.

Some do-able suggestions:
-Do your best to get rid of full page refreshes whereever possible. Instead, use AJAX loading windows [i.e. spinny circle in place of the currently loading object] while you are loading. This seems more professional, and cleaner.

-This is optional, although for something like this, recommended. Move most/all game-based information and such to txt/xml files located on the web server. Although information like accounts and simple game variables should be kept in MySQL, loading resources and information, especially a [potentially] huge amount, is a lot faster when loading from text or XML, then compared to grabbing the data from MySQL. This will drastically
improve optimization in multiple ways.

Keep it up. You have done an incredibly awesome job for one person, and I can't wait to see what is in store. Optimization and polish is what you need IMO more than anything at this point in time. Best of luck.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thanks TimeBomb, it's hard to get usful criticism now a days :)

I have been learning about the HTML5 Canvas and plan to use it and ajax to pump up my project.

I'd like to hear more about storing info in XML if you could elaborate, Do you mean store monster / item data in XML rather than in the database? If so if there an easy way to access that data via simple html?

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
:love:
I think,you may be used Ajax for help move character.

Reaction score
Thanks TimeBomb, it's hard to get usful criticism now a days :)

I have been learning about the HTML5 Canvas and plan to use it and ajax to pump up my project.

I'd like to hear more about storing info in XML if you could elaborate, Do you mean store monster / item data in XML rather than in the database? If so if there an easy way to access that data via simple html?

Hi; no problem.

I found a useful thread in regards to saving and loading via XML in PHP:

And any data that has the potential to be huge, such as monster and item data, should be stored in XML IMO.

Best of luck.

P.S. If you're not using AJAX to move the character, that should be the first [new] implementation of AJAX you do in your project :).

Back