• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

The story of Mr. lPaul

Divine Celestial
Loyal Member
Reaction score
We are using Paul to set an example to all future users who wish to do such things :thumbup:

I just felt this needed to be quoted.

I love this thread, glad some justice can be served (-:

Reaction score
All i can say is SHAM-LOOOL!

Gave me an epic lol reading this first thing in the morning (yea it's 12:30 but i just got up :p). Cheers guys, loving the support!

Sure, i'll post some screenshots k4n3, if you really can get your uncle to pay him a visit then that would be excellent. Having him just talk to this guy's parents would be good, so they can at the very least make sure he doesn't do it again. He also mentioned using his sister's credit card to purchase those 2 additional Steam games (Borderlands and Killing Floor), if he can get a statement that it was done without permission (if it indeed was) then he can even get nailed by Steam for making fraudulent purchases.

Of course i don't want people to wreck his house or anything, why should his parents and siblings be punished for his wrongdoings? It's also only a $35 scam (though i did also buy $22 worth of games on it), so it's nothing I want him to get his legs broken over :p

Also, did anyone find it ironic that he lives across the road from the JERK KING? xD

Reaction score
Screenshots:

Original for Sale thread :

Private messages confirming Sale :

Private messages once i realized he had taken the account back:

Paypal invoices and proof of payment :

Vous Pas Reel
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I know he's done something wrong but I think you're taking it a tiny bit too far posting a full dox on a forum.

In the USA, there was a Supreme Court case regarding an anti-abortion
group that was posting such information about doctors. The court held
that the posting is legal unless it is accompanied by a specific
incitement to violence (or any other illegal activity regarding the
individual whose information is posted).

Reaction score
Moral of the story: you risk losing your money every time you buy an account for something online. If you don't know how to take appropriate action when something goes wrong then you're just throwing away your money.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Oh well...that's rich coming from you.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Steam has permanently deleted his account, and i received a refund for the games i purchased on that account.

Of course Paypal will take ages to actually process the dispute, but i'm happy :)

Sticky in the merchant section please? Bloody fantastic imo :D:

Reaction score
This however can happen again, i have now realized the 1 crucial thing which needs to be done to ensure it doesn't:

-- All steam account sales MUST include ownership of the ORIGINAL email address which was used to register the account. --

Without that email account, they can not submit any claims to Steam support. Perhaps it should be added to the merchant zone rules.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This however can happen again, i have now realized the 1 crucial thing which needs to be done to ensure it doesn't:

-- All steam account sales MUST include ownership of the ORIGINAL email address which was used to register the account. --

Without that email account, they can not submit any claims to Steam support. Perhaps it should be added to the merchant zone rules.

Perhaps offline contact information should also be included when dealing with 'information products'. As if dealing in actual items, address etc would have to be swapped. But with information products I still think a certain amount of this information should be given, if you are doing a legitimate trade I see little or no reasons why this information should be withheld, on either end.

Reaction score
Perhaps offline contact information should also be included when dealing with 'information products'. As if dealing in actual items, address etc would have to be swapped. But with information products I still think a certain amount of this information should be given, if you are doing a legitimate trade I see little or no reasons why this information should be withheld, on either end.

True, however the ONLY personal details Steam actually has of you is your username, your password, and your email address. If you have added credit card details then those also of course, however to register all you need is a username and an email address.

In the event something does go wrong, i'm not so sure providing an actual address of phone number will do any good.

Ginger by design.
Loyal Member
Reaction score

That's very problematic. If it's something like yahoo mail, or gmail, or windows live, it's very easy to open a support case and claim your e-mail account was hacked, they'll ask you for some information and if they can verify that reasonably you are the person who owned that account, they will reset the password on it. So even if they give you the e-mail account, you're still in a situation where you can be scammed.

Further, if the e-mail is custom (ie, blah blah @mydomain.com) and hosted anywhere, they can easily change the MX record to google apps or their own smtp server and have poop sent to them.

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Although I'm not against these trades, whatsoever because I have seen some good examples, I did express concern before the section was put in place.

Reaction score
That's very problematic. If it's something like yahoo mail, or gmail, or windows live, it's very easy to open a support case and claim your e-mail account was hacked, they'll ask you for some information and if they can verify that reasonably you are the person who owned that account, they will reset the password on it. So even if they give you the e-mail account, you're still in a situation where you can be scammed.

Further, if the e-mail is custom (ie, blah blah @mydomain.com) and hosted anywhere, they can easily change the MX record to google apps or their own smtp server and have poop sent to them.

I didn't say it was bulletproof! Haha yea that's all true, i mean if someone had enough personal details on you then they could even contact Steam out of the blue and use them to hijack the account for them.

But at the end of the day, i bought an account from a member i didn't really know, who wasn't very active, so it was pretty much a gable straight from the get-go.

Watching from above
Legend
Reaction score

Besides, how often are you in a place where you're even free to give away your email address? I know I couldn't give any of mine. Any address that I consider serious enough to be used for registration for something that I associate money with will most likely also be connected to a bunch of other important or valuable information.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 AM ----------

But at the end of the day, i bought an account from a member i didn't really know, who wasn't very active, so it was pretty much a gable straight from the get-go.
Yeah, and I'd like to emphasize I really don't think the marketplace itself is at fault for anything. I have a hard time believing someone with 5k+ posts here would go for a scam.

edit: I conveniently set the bar above my own post count. I wasn't implying anything... :tongue:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Besides, how often are you in a place where you're even free to give away your email address? I know I couldn't give any of mine. Any address that I consider serious enough to be used for registration for something that I associate money with will most likely also be connected to a bunch of other important or valuable information.

I know, but myself personally, i have a different email address for all 3 of my Steam accounts and each of them are used for Steam only. Then i have my regular email address on top of that. It's more of a security issue than anything, but in situations such as this it makes life alot easier.

Back