• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[TUT] How to Make Custom Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
can somebody help me. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but, the boxes that has the grids and camera, the four boxes, they are either not showign / lagging out on me or somethign. And if I minimize gtk radiant, thne bring it back up, it comes up as black boxes.

Please watch this vide, it's exactly what I am saying..

Reaction score
can somebody help me. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but, the boxes that has the grids and camera, the four boxes, they are either not showign / lagging out on me or somethign. And if I minimize gtk radiant, thne bring it back up, it comes up as black boxes.

Please watch this vide, it's exactly what I am saying..

Update your Graphicadapter (or Screenadapter) had same thing.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
for the part " Before we get down to creating a new map, we need some textures to work with. I have a setup a download link for some basic GunZ textures that can be downloaded here:

data.rar - FileFront.com

Extract the folder in the textures.rar to C:\gunzmap\
Were not finished yet, when you add new textures you have to define them in a special file called shaderlist.txt located in C:\gunzmap\data\scripts the file should contain the following
Code:
textures
gunz " the link is wrong can you plz send the correct one?

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
for the part " Before we get down to creating a new map, we need some textures to work with. I have a setup a download link for some basic GunZ textures that can be downloaded here:

data.rar - FileFront.com

Were not finished yet, when you add new textures you have to define them in a special file called shaderlist.txt located in C:\gunzmap\data\scripts the file should contain the following
Code:
textures
gunz " the link is wrong can you plz send the correct one?

or you can just scroll up this page, I put a link right there. search engine was created for a reason ya know (I got that link off another thread)

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Hi, uhm, can someone add me on msn to help me out, I have a problem.. I do every step the tut says, but i don't see my 3D-pic in the box on my lefthand top...

thankz!!!

[msn: keanu_v@hotmail.com]

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
sweet, if you look at the grid, there will be this diamond shape on it. That's the positioning of your camera. There will also be two long lines coming out of the diamond. That's your camera's field of vision. So, to move the camera around, use either the up and down arrow key to go forward and back, or use the scroll button on ur mouse to move forward and back. To change your field of vision, right click on the camera screen and move ur mouse (be sure to look at where the lines of the camera on ur graph are when changing, so you know where to look. Also, to move downwards, press C, and to move upwards use D. Use all these controls until the object is in ur field of vision.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
ok guys i have tried everything to get the textures to show up
yes i used the "search" button and ive looked at other threads but i just cant get my textures to show up.
I know why though.
The first time i used gtk radiant a while ago for gunz i fcked the directory the textures go to up
but when i uninstall it and re install
it never asks me for the directory for the gunz textures on start up
any1 can help me on how to completely get it off my system etc or make it show?
my msn is cuzzsince_94@yahoo.com

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Change the Engine path in the Preferences .__.?!
Wrong Path means that u place it at the wrong place.
Ty ill try that soon
because i can't get the option up to where it gives me the option of engine path.
ty
So i hope it's in preferences

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Yup its in Edit-->Preferences-->Game--->Choose the game--> Clean.
And then it will wipe everything and ask for the directory upon startup =]

Gunz Developer / Support
Reaction score
I was making the attempt, but after a bit boring to me xD!

GooD TuT!

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
I cant do anything, I get this crap

.\main.cpp:186
runtime error: GTK+ error: GtkGLExt-WARNING **: cannot create GdkGLContext

----------------

Stacktrace is disabled in release-builds
----------------

RageZone GunZ | Ex-Owner
Reaction score
IF u Want Textures then go to this link below
http://forum.ragezone.com/f497/tut-getting-more-than-1819-texture-438296/#post4381693

PART I

-----------------
Installation
-----------------

Step 1.
Download and install GTKRadiant.

Step 2.
Download the GunZ Online plugin for GtkRadiant

Mirror1:
Mirror2:

Extract the files in the zip to C:\Program Files\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\ (Overwrite)

Step 3.
Download the basic config files for your gunz map:

Mirror1:
Mirror2:

Extract these files to C:\gunzmap\

Step 4.

Download Legions map compiler and extract the zip to
C:\Program Files\GtkRadiant 1.5.0\

Step 5.
Start GtkRadiant and select GunZ Online as your target game.

Set the Engine path to C:\gunzmap\

It should open a new window, once your in same immediantly. Call it the title of your map.

-----------------------
Configuring GtkRadiant
-----------------------

Before we get down to creating a new map, we need some textures to work with. I have a setup a download link for some basic GunZ textures that can be downloaded here:

Code:
textures
gunz

Alright lets get started, now that we've put in some custom textures we have to restart GtkRadiant so it can read the new textures. Open your map up and lets get started!

If you don't see this exactly, not to worry. Follow these steps to configure GTKRadiant to appear and operate like mine (which is, of course, superior to every other possible way). http://gzmap.sourceforge.net/forums/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif Go to edit, then preferences, and in the list, under Interface, click on layout. Set your layout as mine is... I prefer this to the other layouts for ease of use.

http://clankiller.com/games/quake/gtkradianttut/tut1/pics/preferenceslayout.jpg

PART II

-----------------------
Creating your first map
-----------------------

Alright guys time to get started! In here we're going to begin building the room. This tutorial will cover creating the walls, floor and ceiling, as well as some very basic texturing.

Some useful commands to know before getting started

Code:
F1 - Brings up the help menu
Insert/Delete - Zooms in/out of a window
Escape - Deselects any selected brushes/entities

Shift-leftclick - This selects or deselects the brush/entity you click on
Numpad keys - Changes the grid size
ctrl-c - Copy the selected entity/brush
ctrl-v - Paste the previously copied entity/brush
t - Brings up the texture-picker.
ctrl-shift-leftclick - Selects just the face of a brush (one at a time)
ctrl-shift-alt-leftclick - Selects/Deselects the faces of a brush (as many as you want)
d / c -Move the camera vertically

Okay lets begin!

Now for the floor. Click and hold the mouse button at the -256,256 mark (top left of the window) and drag down to 256,-256. This should create a large square as depicted in the following picture.

http://clankiller.com/games/quake/gtkradianttut/tut2/pics/floor1.jpg
The Floor

Congratulations, you just created your first brush. What is a brush? A brush is a surface inside quake3 arena levels. Basically, everything we're going to do here will revolve around brushes or entities. We'll get into entities later, but just know that if I'm talking about a brush, I'm talking about THIS. Now that you know what a brush is, let's move it some.

Click and hold your mouse button in the center of the brush, in the bottom left window. This is a side view. You could also do it in the bottom right window, which is the front, as we're just going to drag the brush down a bit. Now, drag it so that the top of the brush is even with the 0 line. The following pic will illustrate what I mean.

http://clankiller.com/games/quake/gtkradianttut/tut2/pics/floor2.jpg
Moving the floor down a step

Does it have to be at the 0 mark? No. However, we're putting it here for the purpose of demonstrating the movement of brushes (very important) as well as making it easier on ourselves later.

Okay before moving on lets set GunZ spawnpoints. It's important to set these locations otherwise your map will crash (duh) Before creating a spawnpoint we must de-select the current element (the floor) or else the spawnpoint will actually replace the floor, and we don't want that to happen. The below picture will give you an example how to add a spawnpoint:

bounty-hunter - [TUT] How to Make Custom Maps - RaGEZONE Forums

Inserting a spawnpoint

Take a good look at that pink rectangular object, thats how big your gunz character is relative to the map.

Okay obviously we can see that our floor is too small lets stretch it out a bit but first we must select the floor again. De-select the spawnpoint by hold shift and clicking it, then click the floor it should highlight pink. If you look below you should be able to see the three dimensional panels and your selection should highlight red on them. To stretch an object in the x, y direction click and hold your mouse in the top right panel just above the box which is highlighted red and drag it, it should start to grow.

Stretching your floor

Okay lets texture it! just press "T" on your keyboard to bring up the textures menu and select any texture you want for your floor.

Floor

Alright its almost time for us to compile and test our map ^^

Next we have to create a large box around our plateform make sure its air tight, otherwise the map will have errors. It's like accidentally opening something up to the vacuum of space, everything gets sucked out.... Anyway you get the point all levels must be surrounded by some sort of a barrier.

It doesn't matter what the outer barrier of your map looks like were going to make it invisible later on in the tutorial.

So lets test it right now! goto the top and hit BUILD compile using NOLIGHT

Once its compiles check in C:\gunzmap\data\maps your looking for the zipped copy of gunzmap, your going to extract the following files and move them to C:\MRS\gunzmap

Code:
WinZIP:

gunz (folder)
gunzmap.RS.BSP
gunzmap.RS
gunzmap.RS.COL
gunzmap.RS.LM
gunzmap.RS.XML
spawn.xml

Now to get a visible sky working for your map we have to do a couple of manual editing. Your going to take your your Town.mrs file and decompress it and steal some sky animations :3
Code:
Town_obj_sky_daylight.elu.ani
Town_obj_sky_daylight.elu

Then place them in C:\MRS\gunzmap

now we want to open up gunzmap.RS.XML and add the following lines:

Add in <DUMMYLIST>
Code:
<DUMMY name="obj_sky_daylight">
<POSITION>55267160891140097000000000000000.0000000 0.0000000 0.0000000</POSITION>
<DIRECTION>0.0000000 0.0000000 0.0000000</DIRECTION>
</DUMMY>

Underneath </MATERIALLIST> add
Code:
<OBJECTLIST>
<OBJECT name="Town_obj_sky_daylight.elu">
</OBJECT>
</OBJECTLIST>

Okay so great! We now have a sky above, but... we surrounded our entire map with giant walls! Not to worry theres a little tag that lets us make them go away ^^ add the following lines in gunzmap.RS.XML

Code:
<MATERIALLIST>
<MATERIAL name="gunz_Floor013">
<DIFFUSE>1.00000000 1.00000000 1.00000000</DIFFUSE>
<AMBIENT>1.00000000 1.00000000 1.00000000</AMBIENT>
<SPECULAR>1.00000000 1.00000000 1.00000000</SPECULAR>
<DIFFUSEMAP>gunz/Floor013.tga</DIFFUSEMAP>
</MATERIAL>
<MATERIAL name="gunz_Box009">
<DIFFUSEMAP>gunz/Box009.tga</DIFFUSEMAP>
</MATERIAL>
<MATERIAL name="gunz_Sky003">
<DIFFUSEMAP>gunz/Sky003.tga</DIFFUSEMAP>
<USEOPACITY/>
</MATERIAL>
</MATERIALLIST>

The UseOpacity tag lets our ceiling become almost invisible so we can see the sky animation ^^

Now to test your file! Compile gunzmap folder and put it in your maps directory.

Credits:
Legion for making this program
Maiet for letting us hack there GunZ
Mackintosh - for making the tut

I am thinking of making a map which is totaly unique i am gona start ASAP lol

Btw be the first to right a post here...(i hope this goes on sticky xD)

Thank you for posting, checking dl links now. LOl you hit me up on msn before.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thankyou!! Ive been looking for a tut for a long time

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I can't get the box to show up in the top left part.

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back