• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

[Tutorial] Skinning directly onto obj in Photoshop Extended

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hey, my first contribution has arrived. I havent seen this anywhere on the forum, and I thought I would share a method that probably quite a few people use, but that everyone should know.

What this does is you can paint directly onto the object file instead of going through the trouble of figuring out the .dds layouts of every gun which is a freaking hassle.
By doing it this way you will link a new texture layer with the file in PS and that way you can edit either the texture file or the model with live changes.
kukk1 - [Tutorial] Skinning directly onto obj in Photoshop Extended - RaGEZONE Forums

kukk1 - [Tutorial] Skinning directly onto obj in Photoshop Extended - RaGEZONE Forums

Requirements:
Photoshop Extended (Has to be extended to be able to use the 3D tools)
Obj files (converter needed is already posted on the forum)
.DDS pluging from Nvidia (
)

How-to:
1. Get the object file of the model you wish to edit and import it into photoshop (3D->New 3D layer from file). Workspace will automatically change to 3D Layout and from there go to the 3D tab next to layers.
2. Under objMesh click on the texture link and change whatever settings you like in the properties.
3. To start editing go back to the Layers tab and double click the "Diffuse" layer tab to open a separate window containing the texture file.

Now you are ready to create your skin! Paint the object mesh directly to get a grasp of the layout or do like i did in my last image and edit the texture file.
To turn on wireframe go to 3D->Create Painting Overlay->Wireframe. (Remember to disable/delete the wireframe layer before saving the skin file or else you will see the lines on your gun ingame.)

You will have to reposition the .dds file before adding it to the game. Flipping it vertically seems to work. If not 3ds Max can solve this.

If you have any questions feel free to pm or reply here.
(There could be a problem with the linking between the two layers, so be careful that if you edit the texture file and not the model directly that the changes actually apply to the model. If it doesnt simply close the file and re-do step 3. )

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
small turtorial for starters

tho you forget to give some infos for people

working on textures like that is not really a thing you should prior if you want to make full new textures or huge changes, 3d texturing in the photoshop should be used more for the small detals only since it is not really a good environment for 3d graphics.

For 3d graphic changes i would recomend Substance Painter tho it is working on the new PBR texturing system which WarZ is not using soo you won't be really able to get 99% effects of it... but still if you are looking for a program that alowes for a texture work on a 3d model..
Substance Painter >> Photoshop

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
I agree it's not optimal, but then again it does prove useful compared to only editing the texture -> checking in the studio-> repeat.
The most useful thing about this is the wireframed live texture where identifying parts is easy.
As long as one person finds this useful I'm happy ;)

Sent fra min HTC One via Tapatalk

I can do it!, i guess...
Reaction score
I agree it's not optimal, but then again it does prove useful compared to only editing the texture -> checking in the studio-> repeat.
The most useful thing about this is the wireframed live texture where identifying parts is easy.
As long as one person finds this useful I'm happy ;)

wellnotreally
well not really good with the "open - repeat' studio... you could simply get a studio that automaticly updated textures / mats without reseting it

The problem for me with photoshop ... well.. as i said the 3d part in the extended seems to be usefull... but it is not really, it is bad optimilised etc :/ + the lighting options, lack of loading different maps to see the effects ( i can LOAD normal and specular on model -> yes, but can i load them as layers of model to see the effect of connecting all bakes on the model? -> no ) photoshop just lacks it . as i said shortly before, it is GOOD for small, very small edits, like placing small decals, or mayebe logo that would stretch to the model

but really if someone thinks about going for a good / fully profesional 2d texture edits on 3d model, they should just stay to simple 2d uv map textuing and loading it onto the model in 3dsmax, or going for bakes inside the substance painter

I mean cmon compare that work space to photoshop 3d work space ;s

tho good tip for you... don't try to import warz original models or any sco into obj and into that program, it just won't work and you won't be able to edit it since the bakes infos are lost and program cannot support them ( already tested )

myself -> i just use photoshop for 3 things

#1 - Icons
#2 - Placing decals on models like blood etc
#3 - DDS plugins itself since i am usign GIMP for all of my work that does not requires PBR texture editing

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Regarding studio statement that was just an over the top statement, studio should update after replacing texture ^^
The two workspaces can't even be compared. Not in the same league at all holy Shi*. That looks niiice. So it only works with custom models, but that's useful none the less. Thanks for sharing.
But then again don't forget that people don't care about the small, small details. If a skin looks good/cool they won't think about whether it's top quality or not. As long as it doesn't look like a shitstorm it's fine.
(I'm not that experienced with all this, but I'm trying to learn and I wanted to share this:D)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
wellnotreally
well not really good with the "open - repeat' studio... you could simply get a studio that automaticly updated textures / mats without reseting it

The problem for me with photoshop ... well.. as i said the 3d part in the extended seems to be usefull... but it is not really, it is bad optimilised etc :/ + the lighting options, lack of loading different maps to see the effects ( i can LOAD normal and specular on model -> yes, but can i load them as layers of model to see the effect of connecting all bakes on the model? -> no ) photoshop just lacks it . as i said shortly before, it is GOOD for small, very small edits, like placing small decals, or mayebe logo that would stretch to the model

but really if someone thinks about going for a good / fully profesional 2d texture edits on 3d model, they should just stay to simple 2d uv map textuing and loading it onto the model in 3dsmax, or going for bakes inside the substance painter

I mean cmon compare that work space to photoshop 3d work space ;s

tho good tip for you... don't try to import warz original models or any sco into obj and into that program, it just won't work and you won't be able to edit it since the bakes infos are lost and program cannot support them ( already tested )

myself -> i just use photoshop for 3 things

#1 - Icons
#2 - Placing decals on models like blood etc
#3 - DDS plugins itself since i am usign GIMP for all of my work that does not requires PBR texture editing

yes Substance painter is way better but sadly it doesnt have native non pbr support, however there are simple non pbr shaders up but they dont work perfectly with the current version of SP.
And you can use SP to retexture the models just make sure u load the original normal in with the obj .
Second SP does not support non square textures, but if you import them and use them they will still work only the texture will look a bit fked up but ingame its working perfectly.
And to counter PBR stuff there are 2 things you can do:
- SP has a 2d texture view , maximize that windows and screencap the texture directly with PBR effect, you can also do this for individual layers, AO etc.
- Get a program like 3dsMax and bake to texture with lighting from like a HDR map using the exported PBR textures with VRay or similar renderer, look it up there are tutorials for it.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score

yes Substance painter is way better but sadly it doesnt have native non pbr support, however there are simple non pbr shaders up but they dont work perfectly with the current version of SP.
And you can use SP to retexture the models just make sure u load the original normal in with the obj .
Second SP does not support non square textures, but if you import them and use them they will still work only the texture will look a bit fked up but ingame its working perfectly.
And to counter PBR stuff there are 2 things you can do:
- SP has a 2d texture view , maximize that windows and screencap the texture directly with PBR effect, you can also do this for individual layers, AO etc.
- Get a program like 3dsMax and bake to texture with lighting from like a HDR map using the exported PBR textures with VRay or similar renderer, look it up there are tutorials for it.

I just installed Substance Painter myself,trying to get acquainted with it at the moment...Always learning new things here on RZ..Thanks to Karti for calling it out..

Back