Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Visual Studio debugging issue

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I have a very odd problem with visual studio 2010 ultimate edition.
On my desktop computer (x86) and on my friends laptop (x64) I can debug my solution without issues, but on my laptop (x64) when there's an exception that isn't handled one of a few possible scenarios occurs :
1) App closes, no line of crash, no exception window no nothing
2) App closes, I'm taken to the line of crash, no exception window, no exception information or call stack
3) I get an error message stating vshost.exe application error, unhandled exception in debugger
4) VS 2010 crashes and restarts
5) It works as intended
oddly enough the scenarios aren't random, same exception will always trigger the same scenario, but there's no indicator of what is causing either behavior. I assumed VS2010 installation was busted, so I deleted it and reinstalled, no use, repaired the install,no use installed VS2012 same problem

I'm starting to think my OS might be the cause, but then I noticed a weird behavior :
if I enable to stop on all exceptions including handled exceptions it will always work correctly even on exceptions that previously caused VS to crash, so VS is capable of doing it right when I enable to break on handled exceptions (which sucks because those happen frequently and are handled correctly)

I've searched google for hours and I haven't found anything remotely useful, all I keep reading is stuff about conflicting processor architecture, but in my buddys laptop which has 64 bit just like mine it works flawlessly, all my projects are set to x86 architecture, putting it on "Any CPU" does not solve anything

I do not wish to reformat just for VS's sake I have a lot of stuff installed and it's a pain to reinstall everything when I reformat because of the "brilliant" concept of registry which renders it impossible to easily port apps

The project is in C#, of course I'm running it in debug mode, I know how to configure VS correctly too, the settings are fine, just like they're on my desktop, it can't be extension problems, safe mode doesn't help, uninstalling all extensions doesn't help either. Been using VS since back in 2008 never experienced anything similar

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Back