• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

VS 2003 for Windows 7 OS

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
There are plenty of Windows 7 Users who often have minor problems with Compiling Sources because of the applications compatibility issues with this certain OS.

Well I do have solution for that now!

All you have to do is to install the Windows Virtual PC Application together with the Windows XP Mode Application.

-----

Using Windows XP Mode, you can run programs that were designed for Windows XP on computers running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions. Windows XP Mode is not supported on Windows 8.

Levixavier - VS 2003 for Windows 7 OS - RaGEZONE Forums

Programs can run in both Windows XP Mode and in Windows 7.

How does Windows XP Mode work?
Windows XP Mode works in two ways—both as a virtual operating system and as a way to open programs within Windows 7. It runs in a separate window on the Windows 7 desktop, much like a program, except it's a fully-functional, fully-licensed version of Windows XP. In Windows XP Mode, you can access your physical computer's CD/DVD drive, install programs, save files, and perform other tasks as if you were using a computer running Windows XP.

When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program appears in both the Windows XP Mode list of programs and in the Windows 7 list of programs, so you can open the program directly from Windows 7.

Programs installed in Windows XP Mode in the Windows 7 Start menu

-----

Installing and using Windows XP Mode
To use Windows XP Mode, you need to download and install Windows XP Mode, and Windows Virtual PC, the program that runs virtual operating systems on your computer.

When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program becomes available for use in both Windows XP Mode and Windows 7.

-----

To download and install Windows XP Mode
1.Go to the Windows XP Mode page in Download Center.

2. Under Quick Details, select your language.

3. Click Continue and follow the instructions on the screen to validate your copy of Windows 7.

4. Select a version of Windows XP Mode to install and click Install.

Note: WindowsXPMode_N versions do not include Windows Media Player.

5. Click Run in your browser's message bar, and follow the instructions on the screen.

6. When setup is completed, click Finish.

To download and install Windows Virtual PC
1. Go to the Windows Virtual PC page in Download Center

3. Click Continue and follow the instructions on the screen to validate your copy of Windows 7.

4. Select a version of Windows Virtual PC to install and click Install.

Note: The x64 version works with 64-bit versions of Windows 7. The x86 version works with 32-bit versions of Windows 7. To find out if your PC is running 32- or 64-bit Windows 7, click the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. 32-bit and 64-bit information appears next to System type.

5. Click Run in your browser's message bar, and follow the instructions on the screen.

6. Click Yes to install Update for Windows (KB958559).

7. If you accept the license terms, click I Accept.

8. After installation is complete, click Restart Now to restart your computer.

Owner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Nice tut

Only thing is that its not necesary cause it runs fine on windows 7 even on Windows 8 there are no problems at all.

So or you aint doing something good or your pc is messed up.

never the less some users may find it handy

Not working on UnitedFlyf
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Only thing is that its not necesary cause it runs fine on windows 7 even on Windows 8 there are no problems at all.

Assuming you've never used the debugger...

Owner
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Yes i use the debugger and dont have any problems with it.
No errors in that matter like he has.

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
Yes i use the debugger and dont have any problems with it.
No errors in that matter like he has.

Try the following code in a new project in vs2003 on windows 7/8:

Code:
[COLOR=#2B91AF]int[/COLOR] APIENTRY [COLOR=#2B91AF]WinMain[/COLOR]( HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, [COLOR=#2B91AF]int[/COLOR] nCmdShow )
{
    [COLOR=#2B91AF]Sleep[/COLOR]( [COLOR=#800000]5000[/COLOR] );
    [COLOR=#2B91AF]MessageBox[/COLOR]( NULL, [COLOR=#800000]"Test"[/COLOR], [COLOR=#800000]""[/COLOR], [COLOR=#800000]0[/COLOR] );
    [COLOR=#00008B]return[/COLOR] [COLOR=#800000]0[/COLOR];
}
On my last testings, after first run, the debugger locks the PDB and vs2003 cannot modify or open it so you could never recompile it. Only solution was to restart visual studio each debug.
LINK : fatal error LNK1201: error writing to program database 'd:\Coding\Flyff\Projects\GUI System 20110721\Debug\GUI System 20110721.pdb'; check for insufficient disk space, invalid path, or insufficient privilege
I've made a stackoverflow post about this here: LNK1201 on Visual C++ 2003 - Stack Overflow

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Very detailed and has good information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with this kind of application. BIG thanks!

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
There are plenty of Windows 7 Users who often have minor problems with Compiling Sources because of the applications compatibility issues with this certain OS.

Well I do have solution for that now!

All you have to do is to install the Windows Virtual PC Application together with the Windows XP Mode Application.

-----

Using Windows XP Mode, you can run programs that were designed for Windows XP on computers running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate editions. Windows XP Mode is not supported on Windows 8.

Programs can run in both Windows XP Mode and in Windows 7.

How does Windows XP Mode work?
Windows XP Mode works in two ways—both as a virtual operating system and as a way to open programs within Windows 7. It runs in a separate window on the Windows 7 desktop, much like a program, except it's a fully-functional, fully-licensed version of Windows XP. In Windows XP Mode, you can access your physical computer's CD/DVD drive, install programs, save files, and perform other tasks as if you were using a computer running Windows XP.

When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program appears in both the Windows XP Mode list of programs and in the Windows 7 list of programs, so you can open the program directly from Windows 7.

Programs installed in Windows XP Mode in the Windows 7 Start menu

-----

Installing and using Windows XP Mode
To use Windows XP Mode, you need to download and install Windows XP Mode, and Windows Virtual PC, the program that runs virtual operating systems on your computer.

When you install a program in Windows XP Mode, the program becomes available for use in both Windows XP Mode and Windows 7.

-----

To download and install Windows XP Mode
1.Go to the Windows XP Mode page in Download Center.

4. Select a version of Windows XP Mode to install and click Install.

Note: WindowsXPMode_N versions do not include Windows Media Player.

6. When setup is completed, click Finish.

To download and install Windows Virtual PC
1. Go to the Windows Virtual PC page in Download Center

4. Select a version of Windows Virtual PC to install and click Install.

Note: The x64 version works with 64-bit versions of Windows 7. The x86 version works with 32-bit versions of Windows 7. To find out if your PC is running 32- or 64-bit Windows 7, click the Start button, right-click Computer, and then click Properties. 32-bit and 64-bit information appears next to System type.

6. Click Yes to install Update for Windows (KB958559).

7. If you accept the license terms, click I Accept.

8. After installation is complete, click Restart Now to restart your computer.

what the use of this??? why windows xp mode??? zzzzz what about my vs2003??? how did it work man? how can i install?
and i install it correctly but dont have Mircosoft Mappoint

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
what the use of this??? why windows xp mode??? zzzzz what about my vs2003??? how did it work man? how can i install?
and i install it correctly but dont have Mircosoft Mappoint

It's very useful because it gives me full access and features regarding VS 2003 and it's better!

and by the way, I can't seem to understand your reply-post, the grammar is unacceptable :lol:

Back