• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Weird Disk Drive/Cd Drive problem.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Well after getting over my comp breaking down. Link To The Thread Here.
I repaired another one that my neighbours gave to me.
Soon after boot i found some weird errors.
One, I put a disk in the disk drive. (I repaired the disk drive not opening properly) And it seems to be loading the disk. (Green light flashing, Spinning sound coming from cd drive) but yet, When i look at my computer it shows up that there are no disks in it and for me to insert one.
Ive tried with over ten types of disks, But no luck.
Ive tried disabling/reenabling it when i noticed another weird problem.
Under Disk Drives, I noticed that there was TWO there. I looked at them both and i noticed that they were both enabled. I looked at My computer again and i saw that there was only One there.
So i troubleshooted the other one in device manager, But nothing showed up as a problem.
So then i disenabled it and reenabled it. Then it said it couldnt find the hard drive.
Then i asked it to search for it. It found it and it said it was working properly.
I went back to my computer, Still no second hard drive.
Then i went back to CD drives, Disenabled it and renabled it.
Now my computer thinks my CD drive is a disk drive.
And everytime i click on it, It tells me it needs formatting.
It says that its a 456GB hard drive that needs formatting.
I try to, But it appears it isnt doing anything so after a while i close it and it tells me this drive cannot format.
Im running Windows XP btw.
Any ideas?

Praise the Sun!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Replace your DVD drive with a working one, yours obviously died.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
check the IDE cable, make sure its push the right way in and the pin is set to slave on the back of the dvd/cd rom.

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Update:
Okay now, I rechecked it last night and find another clue.
Its now saying that the second hard drive is working, But its saying i need to uninstall and reinstall drivers for my cd drive.
Still, With the second hard drive i still try to format it, And it doesnt do anything except make my pc do a weird noise.
Like a RRRRRRR noise.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
wellp that HDD is now not working, LOL. its fucked basicly.

that maybe unrelated, again is this useing Sata or Psata(IDE cables) ?
make sure there in the right places, check your BIOS can find them, if it can make sure then set up right(IE master = First HDD Slave = 2HDD second master = CDROM second Slave = dvdrom (or something along those lines)

Learning C# - Developer
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Im using a white ribbon looking cable for the hard drives.
Going to use a CD drive i just bought, Lets hope it works!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im using a white ribbon looking cable for the hard drives.
Going to use a CD drive i just bought, Lets hope it works!

then all i have said was right. look at the back of the cd rom right next to where the cable goes in the should be a jumper(a little plasic cap) its should be on slave. unless its on a cable of its own, then leave it on Master, on the ribbon make sure BOTH the hdd and cdrom are on the FIRST connection(IE the middle one)

make sure HDD(the boot one) is also set to master should found same place as the CDROM one.

if there both on the same ribbon
plug the HDD(master) in the first (Middle) and the CDROM(slave) on the last(END)
else
on there own
HDD(master) in the first (Middle) and the HDD2(slave) on the last(END)
CDROM(master) in the first (Middle)

make sure the pin/jumpper at the back are set correctly.

Last edited:
Back