• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Which old emulator source is the most useful to look at?

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
There's nothing bad in c++, it can work pretty well in server-client apps same as java or c#.
The difference is the way it's compiled, C# need platform cause it's compiled to CIL, C++ can be executed by os without any external frameworks (mostly). C# is from microsoft so.. they give a lot of support :D In C++ you can choose from many methods of writing.
# has got nice standard libraries - true. You don't have to care about memory and some other things - true.
But for example what would you do when you would like to work with asm in c# ? It's useless to call it from dlls.. C# might be good option but.. C++ can be too.
I don't understand why some people like to argue which language is the best...
There are 3 criteria when you have to choose language for your project: what platform, how much time do you have, what performance do you need.
And maybe 4th: What language do you prefer the most.
Someone said (maybe even on this forum) "There's no difference which tool you are going to pick as long as you know how to use it" and imho he's 100% right but I would add "If noone will have to use it except you" :D

Last edited:
Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score
telling someone that "thinking that means you don't have a clue what you're doing" isn't particularly constructive nor convincing.
You must be new here.

What is so bad about C++?
Just about everything. It's not even worth trying to explain why, since anyone with the slightest experience with software development, would attest to that C++ is a terrible designed language.

dont feed the troll :p
Oi, trolls gotta eat you know. It's not polite to let them starve.

There's nothing bad in c++
Except the entire language. And most of the standard libraries.

The difference is the way it's compiled, C# need platform cause it's compiled to CIL, C++ can be executed by os without any external frameworks (mostly).
No, C++ also requires a standard runtime library (STL), it just happens to be either default by the OS (much like .NET), or distributed as part of the installation (like .NET 8 years ago)

In C++ you can choose from many methods of writing.
This doesn't even remotely make sense.

You don't have to care about memory and some other things - true.
Actually you do, but from a meaningful perspective. Pointers don't automatically improve your performance, and ref counting is just a simpler alternative to a proper GC.

It's actually common for servers written using C++, to implement a form of the Boehm-Demers-Weiser GC. Which of course, any decent programmer knows about.

But for example what would you do when you would like to work with asm in c# ?
Explain to me again, why you need inline assembly to write a I/O server?

Also, C is a much better language if all you wanted was to do inline ASM. You can ignore all the boilerplate of C++.

I don't understand why some people like to argue which language is the best...
Clueless people tends to argue over what language is best. Intelligent people argue over language design, and real-world applications (of the language).

There are 3 criteria when you have to choose language for your project: what platform, how much time do you have, what performance do you need.
You don't pick a language. You pick a technology. And you pick it based on intelligent decisions, mostly made on how easy it is to develop and maintain.

And I'm sure Edsger Dijkstra would have something to tell you about premature optimizations.

"There's no difference which tool you are going to pick as long as you know how to use it" and imho he's 100% right but I would add "If noone will have to use it except you" :D
Except that C++ is pretty much always the wrong tool.

There's better languages offering you all the strengths of C++, without all the poor language design problems.

Zen - Which old emulator source is the most useful to look at? - RaGEZONE Forums

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
No, C++ also requires a standard runtime library (STL), it just happens to be either default by the OS (much like .NET), or distributed as part of the installation (like .NET 8 years ago)
My bad, C++ is high lvl language of course..
In C++ you can choose from many methods of writing.
This doesn't even remotely make sense.
I mean (google translator says: ) C++ is multi-paradygmatic language.

Yes I know Dijkstra.His algorythm was fast but too risky when I was doing some project with implementing genetic algorythms on university.
To be honest I heard about using Boehm's GC only to detect hmm don't know if in english it's okey to call it 'memory leaks'.
And about using inline assembly.. Actually I am writing server like application(few apps), and yes I am using asm with C (Compiler is not screaming even if I use something from C++) but my platform are few ARM cortex( so yes it's different thing to talk now.. And yes you might have a right when we're talking about emulator etc..)
There I really like to use asm to work with external devices. Also I am really surprised words:
Except that C++ is pretty much always the wrong tool.
There's better languages offering you all the strengths of C++, without all the poor language design problems.
We're using very often HAL which is written in C/C++ so I wonder if you can propose something what is not sux for future projects (just offtopic question now).

Last edited:
Arrogant Wizard
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Any modern language is multi-paradigm. And I work on ARM at my day job... using C#

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
OMG OMG im coding in JAVA!!! DeathArt and FritzPL kill me now?

Use the f**king pm function call.

Back