• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Yet Another Unity Client Remake (Based on 97d)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I like your attention to details. It could be great MU client remake. If you would be able to bring it to the most basic playable version (Like up to Dungeon even) it would be a great start.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I'd like to know more about the way you converted original files to unity format and how you rebuilt the maps.
I sent you pm, I'll be glad if you gave me some insight.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
awesome:D

can u share script to create heigh map, lightening, mixing tiles layers to fbx?

that one was done inside unity with its own terrain system. it's not an fbx.
lighting is just a projector (terrainlight) pointed down, filling the whole terrain (horrible way to do it btw)

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
:/ So it pointless. With orginal unity terrain u can't get orginal tiles mixing effect, also the terrain not look same like orginal one. And dinamicly script make it slowwwww

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
:/ So it pointless. With orginal unity terrain u can't get orginal tiles mixing effect, also the terrain not look same like orginal one. And dinamicly script make it slowwwww

It wasn't supposed to be exactly the same.
Remakes are supposed to be better than originals :p

And... I tried the "original way", but since I wanted to use unity physics and a good performance, it wasn't an option.
Even with Unity terrain, it got pretty close to the original, but without lagging everything :p

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Could you upload the converted models and textures somewhere? I'm using the game for learning purposes as well.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
It wasn't supposed to be exactly the same.
Remakes are supposed to be better than originals :p

And... I tried the "original way", but since I wanted to use unity physics and a good performance, it wasn't an option.
Even with Unity terrain, it got pretty close to the original, but without lagging everything :p
I recreated mu terrain in unity with different approach. I divided 256x256 map to 16x16 chunks (or smaller). Every chunk is a mesh created from terrainheight and terrain.att (to make holes). I'm using two splatmaps per chunk. One with small resolution and point filtering (1st layer), and one with higher resolution + bilinear filtering (2nd layer with floating point coverage). To shader I send one atlas texture (with all terrain textures) two splatmaps and two matrices 4x4 to decode atlas coordinates from splatmaps. Disadvantage is that I can use max 4 images per chunk. I can make smaller chunks if I need, but it's designed to load original maps without modifying. Ofc. it has advantages: I can use original maps 1:1 with original folder structure, with real holes support and full control over shader. Terrainlight is stored as vertex color. And it's faster than unity terrain (I can render only visible chunks).

Effect is acceptable (this screen has bug - all objects are moved by (0.5, 0.5):

Could you upload the converted models and textures somewhere? I'm using the game for learning purposes as well.
You can find SMD importer for blender and use batch file to automatically convert it to FBX (another plugin). The hardest thing to do, is to calculate matrix which converts opengl coordinate system to directx (used by unity) with switching YZ axis. I'll post if if I find it somewhere in my PC. But I don't recommend this approach. In my opinion it's easier to load BMD into unity.

Last edited:
Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
I recreated mu terrain in unity with different approach. I divided 256x256 map to 16x16 chunks (or smaller). Every chunk is a mesh created from terrainheight and terrain.att (to make holes). I'm using two splatmaps per chunk. One with small resolution and point filtering (1st layer), and one with higher resolution + bilinear filtering (2nd layer with floating point coverage). To shader I send one atlas texture (with all terrain textures) two splatmaps and two matrices 4x4 to decode atlas coordinates from splatmaps. Disadvantage is that I can use max 4 images per chunk. I can make smaller chunks if I need, but it's designed to load original maps without modifying. Ofc. it has advantages: I can use original maps 1:1 with original folder structure, with real holes support and full control over shader. Terrainlight is stored as vertex color. And it's faster than unity terrain (I can render only visible chunks).

Effect is acceptable (this screen has bug - all objects are moved by (0.5, 0.5):

You can find SMD importer for blender and use batch file to automatically convert it to FBX (another plugin). The hardest thing to do, is to calculate matrix which converts opengl coordinate system to directx (used by unity) with switching YZ axis. I'll post if if I find it somewhere in my PC. But I don't recommend this approach. In my opinion it's easier to load BMD into unity.

How's your project Supron? Your project website was not updated for a long time. Lack of time to continue? I had the highest hopes in your project because your idea about how the remade client should look like was similar to mine. Would be a shame for the project to die :<

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
How's your project Supron? Your project website was not updated for a long time. Lack of time to continue? I had the highest hopes in your project because your idea about how the remade client should look like was similar to mine. Would be a shame for the project to die :<
After I left IGCN as full time developer, I stopped updating blog on their site. After this I've really pushed things forward. But I'm not sure if I can write here about it. Even when I left IGCN my thread got deleted for not being a public development (I didn't want to make it open source). If you want to hear more, send PM.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

We all did the same thing with the map, but may be a few problems...
Have you made anything about the water effect on the map?

About the bmd conversion, you can do like us and write a piece of code to convert it.
Piece of cake...

[]'s

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
We all did the same thing with the map, but may be a few problems...
Have you made anything about the water effect on the map?

About the bmd conversion, you can do like us and write a piece of code to convert it.
Piece of cake...

[]'s

simple shader that distorts the texture over time solves the water thing tho.

I'm curious about the lighting

Back