Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

Youtube now has subscription service for no ads.

Vous Pas Reel
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Got an email today from YouTube saying users can now pay a nominal monthly fee to get rid of ads. I'm sure most of you have already heard this, but its a first for me.

Dear YouTube Partner,

Your fans want choices. Not only do they want to watch what they want, whenever they want, anywhere, and on any device they choose, they want YouTube features built specifically with their needs in mind. Over the past several months, we’ve taken bold new steps to bring these experiences to life. Since inviting hundreds of thousands of fans into our YouTube Music Key Beta, we've seen tremendous engagement. And we've seen an equally enthusiastic response for our new YouTube Kids app, designed to give families a simpler and safer video-viewing experience— it’s already crossed 2 million installations in less than one month.

We’re excited to build on this momentum by taking another big step in favor of choice: offering fans an ads-free version of YouTube for a monthly fee. By creating a new paid offering, we’ll generate a new source of revenue that will supplement your fast growing advertising revenue.

So what’s next?

Launching a new paid offering will require us to update your terms through your Creator Studio Dashboard—a process that should feel familiar to anyone who went through a similar process three years ago when we began distributing and monetizing your content on mobile devices. Today, mobile represents over half of all watchtime and mobile revenue is up 200% in the last year. Just as with mobile, we’re confident this latest contract update will excite your fans and generate a previously untapped, additional source of revenue for you. Please look out for our notification, review it and let us know your thoughts.

It’s an exciting year for YouTube, as we push ourselves into uncharted territories. But we continue to be guided by a desire to deliver the choices fans want and the revenue you need. By working closely with you, we know it’ll be a successful journey.

The YouTube Team

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
although adblock does that all for free, the idea is you pay to get rid of adverts, and youtube still receives money. Obviously, they sell advertisement space to make an income so their primary service is free to use. Get rid of advertisement, get say bye to youtube.

It totally depends on how much the subscription is. The adverts don't really bother me. We have them on TV...

I am subscribed to spotify because £9.99, for unlimited access to unlimited music is better than physically buying music.

Reaction score
Interested to see how this will affect larger youtube channels who use YT to make a living. A lot of the people I regularly watch keep mentioning they're worried about the changes. Less ads = less revenue for most of them. Where one user previously generated 5/month for each channel they watch, they will now only generate X/month divided between the channels they frequent, with a bigger slice taken by youtube.

It'll be interesting to see how much the ad-free service sells and how it affects channels. I have a feeling we'll see more of a negative impact.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
although adblock does that all for free, the idea is you pay to get rid of adverts, and youtube still receives money. Obviously, they sell advertisement space to make an income so their primary service is free to use. Get rid of advertisement, get say bye to youtube.

It totally depends on how much the subscription is. The adverts don't really bother me. We have them on TV...

I am subscribed to spotify because £9.99, for unlimited access to unlimited music is better than physically buying music.

Wow. Either way they will fking earn big bucks!!!

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
You are right ChewBecca. In November 2006 it was bought by Google for US$1.65 billion :)
About the subscription i'm not worried at all, because i don't use youtube that much.

OVH

Initiate Mage
Reaction score
Oh Youtube, you're being stupid again...

Download or install the adblock plug-in to your browser and you're done, no advertisements at all. And the funny thing is that you can even install it on your Mobile if you're ever going to watch videos on your mobile that it won't show any advertisements too!

Reaction score
Oh Youtube, you're being stupid again...

Download or install the adblock plug-in to your browser and you're done, no advertisements at all. And the funny thing is that you can even install it on your Mobile if you're ever going to watch videos on your mobile that it won't show any advertisements too!

Or you don't be a penis and support the people who benefit from advertisements. Such as; Gamers, Artists and anyone who uses ad revenue to bring people content on Youtube.

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Or you don't be a penis and support the people who benefit from advertisements. Such as; Gamers, Artists and anyone who uses ad revenue to bring people content on Youtube.

I'd gladly support people who provide such...entertainment (yes, I'm aware some of these people rely on YT for income) but in order for me to do that I'd need to be earning more for myself. I can sympathize, I can, really, but at the end of the day I have to look out for myself first and foremost, lol.

Not trying to sound like a stick or anything Cyndaquil, haha

Reaction score
I'd gladly support people who provide such...entertainment (yes, I'm aware some of these people rely on YT for income) but in order for me to do that I'd need to be earning more for myself. I can sympathize, I can, really, but at the end of the day I have to look out for myself first and foremost, lol.

Not trying to sound like a stick or anything Cyndaquil, haha

No one is forcing you to buy this subscription, its two routes; you buy a subscription or you don't and just watch the ads. Either way it provides income for content creators.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Don't forget there no AdBlock on mobile devices(using the app) and they are constantly trying to patch Adblock on the desktop site aswell.

Rogu3
Reaction score
Got an email today from YouTube saying users can now pay a nominal monthly fee to get rid of ads. I'm sure most of you have already heard this, but its a first for me.
It's not a bad idea, it's worth it for people who use YouTube like daily, and probably pretty useful for YouTubers who are active. I don't think it's going to be much more of a money maker for them. As long as they don't up the ads and go overkill with them now just to get people to buy it monthly.

Bierlust
Reaction score
I think Youtube has to be more clear on how this will affect youtube channels which have partnered with youtube, just like ron said:

Interested to see how this will affect larger youtube channels who use YT to make a living. A lot of the people I regularly watch keep mentioning they're worried about the changes. Less ads = less revenue for most of them. Where one user previously generated 5/month for each channel they watch, they will now only generate X/month divided between the channels they frequent, with a bigger slice taken by youtube.

It'll be interesting to see how much the ad-free service sells and how it affects channels. I have a feeling we'll see more of a negative impact.

If this were to affect their revenue greatly, I'm most likely against it. Since YouTubers don't really sell their videos and not many of them make live shows where they generate income unlike bands and other artists (some just ask to be sent money via Patreon or whatever as an extra way to revenue), I don't know if a Spotify-like way of them making money would be fair enough. I think all we can do is wait and see if YouTube explains how it will make up for the channels in the partner system.

Slightly off-topic:
Don't forget there no AdBlock on mobile devices(using the app) and they are constantly trying to patch Adblock on the desktop site aswell.
No, you are wrong actually, I had AdBlock installed on my Android for a while.
And well, while the advertisement companies are always updating their IPs, websites are adding scripts to block out users who use AdBlock on their sites and other such things, there's another way to block advertisement completely, by pulling out the ADB database and manually adding it to your Hosts Files, since most scripts just ask you to NOT have the browser extension running and they can't really know if you are blocking out adverts another way.

hosts files can be found on:
• Windows: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
• Linux/UNIX/Android: etc/hosts (system/etc/hosts
• OS X: /private/etc/hosts
(Can also be done on iPhones)

And if you're cheeky enough, you just use your own DNS server.

Reaction score
Honestly I think this will benefit YouTube content creators. Sure like people said you can use adblock etc, but people who use adblock don't earn creators money anyway. In terms of earning, you guys (me included some days) don't really matter, so it's not super clever to be like "AHAHAHAHAHA I UZE ADBLOCK, EEHEHE3H3H3H3 NO ADS", when it's pretty basic to use.

Sure Youtube gets fatter but it's now a legit way for your average Joe to make some money, being their own boss. Some people rely only on income from ads, but those who make the most money also use other streams alongside the ads.

Atleast Die Trying...
Loyal Member
Reaction score
i think thats pretty useless since all you gotta do is refresh the page and the ad goes away ...seems to work for me all the time. i would see no point spending money on that subscription

Reaction score
Some of you are confused regarding how this works. Check the video below for a pretty simple explanation. Nerd^3 explains it perfectly.

exclamatio a lot of youtubers make the majority of their revenue through CPM ads. Those who make money through advertising or sponsor deals are the very, very few minority (think pewdiepie).

Back