• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

120 War Vets Suicide Per Week.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
AlterNet: War on Iraq: 120 War Vets Commit Suicide Each Week

AlterNet said:
Earlier this year, using the clout that only major broadcast networks seem capable of mustering, CBS News contacted the governments of all 50 states requesting their official records of death by suicide going back 12 years. They heard back from 45 of the 50. From the mountains of gathered information, they sifted out the suicides of those Americans who had served in the armed forces. What they discovered is that in 2005 alone -- and remember, this is just in 45 states -- there were at least 6,256 veteran suicides, 120 every week for a year and an average of 17 every day.

This is America btw (45 states).

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
Re: 120 War Vets Suicide Per Day.

I wish I could say something to this but how many total suicied where there per day? The armed forces are a cross section of society if the suicide rates in society are large the suicide rates in the armed forces will be high. I would like to know what percentage of the total for each day veteran suicides account for? I Served the USA and can say without a doubt going to a war torn country is hard and people have to see things that well franky no one should have to see. I am not surprised that the number is that hight but I am surpirsed that it is not higher.

Reaction score

I wish I could say something to this but how many total suicied where there per day? The armed forces are a cross section of society if the suicide rates in society are large the suicide rates in the armed forces will be high. I would like to know what percentage of the total for each day veteran suicides account for? I Served the USA and can say without a doubt going to a war torn country is hard and people have to see things that well franky no one should have to see. I am not surprised that the number is that hight but I am surpirsed that it is not higher.
No... they suicide due to post traumatic stress.
Seeing your friends blown up? Being forced to kill innocents? Being shot? Having a limb amputated? Having a nade go off in your face?

Things like those don't happen in the real world on a daily basis, you therefore cannot compare them to the rest of society.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

Ok found some facts for this one that may put the infomration you put up into a little more perspective

change my name already!
Loyal Member
Reaction score

Ouch. This will just be another weapon for those politicians against the war to use against bush.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

thats 80 successfull suicides per day of that 80 only 17 are military thats almost 25%

So, if we say 80 suicides represent USA as a whole (301mil aprox).
And the 17 suicides represent the military (23.7mil approx)

That's still 8,000 out of 23.7million commiting suicide compared to the measley 24,000 out of 300million.

US Citizens: 1:12500 will commit suicide.
Military personnel: 1:2963 will commit suicide.

Notice the huge gap between 12,500 and 1:2,963?

(Figures edited, due to un-reliable sources - Fixed now.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

23.7 million
The number of military veterans in the United States in 2006.
(Source: Table 505 of the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2008.)

Total Population 300 million

Veteran Population compared to total us population 8%

By the way I am not trying to say what you listed is wron I am only trying to provide more information. you should also look at police cause they have a very very high suicide completion rate in NY City in 1995 alone they had 100 thats one city in one state

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

23.7 million
(Source: Table 505 of the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2008.)

By the way I am not trying to say what you listed is wron I am only trying to provide more information. you should also look at police cause they have a very very high suicide completion rate in NY City in 1995 alone they had 100 thats one city in one state
even with those figures you've provided, it's still a ratio of 1:2963 (approx) suicides from veterans.

23.7 million

So what your saying is the more violence a person is experiencing/subject to, the higher the suicide rate?

Your sort of proving my point.

Basically, what the statistics show is a person who's gone to war is 4 times more likely to commit suicide than somebody who hasn't gone to war.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

That would be my guess not to mention the access to firearms and firearms training men tend to use guns for suicide a lot.

We should probly also look at attempted suicides as I would be interested to see if the number of veterans attempting suicide is also as proportionaly high.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score

So what your saying is the more violence a person is experiencing/subject to, the higher the suicide rate?

Your sort of proving my point.

Basically, what the statistics show is a person who's gone to war is 4 times more likely to commit suicide than somebody who hasn't gone to war.

I would even say witness to violence as it seems from everything I can find jobs that witness violence seem to have higher rates of suicide. By the way I was never trying to dis prove your point.

I guess what I wonder is out of

Last edited:
Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I would even say witness to violence as it seems from everything I can find jobs that witness violence seem to have higher rates of suicide. By the way I was never trying to dis prove your point.

Sorry, seemed like you try to prove it wrong :p

But aye, reading on Government psychological plans for war veterans now...
From what I've read, it doesn't seem that they provide any free psychological treatments and analysis for war veterans.

Not sure though, the site I've read off doesn't look that convincing...
Will look more into it though.

Junior Spellweaver
Reaction score
They do but going to mental health in the military is sadly highly discouraged as it is seen as a negative mark on your record so many soldiers do not seek the mental care that they need. I for one have always thought that psychiatric evaluations should be a part of the return process for any/all veterans returning from a war zone.

Mythic Archon
Reaction score
War is a Hardship, A hardship the can be Avoided by Compromise

Back