155 Server specs

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Mar 21, 2024
Messages
56
Reaction score
26
for those with the knowledge / ran public servers.. what are the specs (processor and RAM mainly) needed to run one? say UC is 100 give or take.
thanks in advance! :)
 
Optimal RAM it's 16GB and moree ... if started GS in one command
Bash:
./gs gs01 gs.conf gmserver.conf gsalias.conf arena01 arena02 arena03 arena04 is01 is02 is... etc
yes thank you. currently got 64GB DDR4 which is more than enough to load all maps and services etc. and I can login a few clients (so far) and all is good.
what I'm curious about, is how much more RAM server is going to need in case more players jumps in?
 
16GB is only "ok" for a VM or a "test" environment. 16GB would in NO way suffice for a F/T public/populated server...

I picked up a server from eBay with almost 1TB of RAM, you can even get EOL machines from EBAY even with DDR3 or DDR4 in high amounts for cheap... Grab one with 512GB and you'll never go wrong...

As you may expect, the longer it runs, and/or the more connections it has to "handle" the more RAM is needed/used up...
 
16GB is only "ok" for a VM or a "test" environment. 16GB would in NO way suffice for a F/T public/populated server...

I picked up a server from eBay with almost 1TB of RAM, you can even get EOL machines from EBAY even with DDR3 or DDR4 in high amounts for cheap... Grab one with 512GB and you'll never go wrong...

As you may expect, the longer it runs, and/or the more connections it has to "handle" the more RAM is needed/used up...
at current prices rate for RAM and storage, even a DDR3 server with 512GB RAM is gonna cost a kidney. :ROFLMAO:
appreciate the hint, thanks! gonna take a look see what I find.

I currently have a Legend of Mir 3 server running with 32GB RAM installed, and it handled up to 100 users connected (back on season launch) with 0 issues. But I believe PW needs more resources from what I've seen so far.
 
I sadly cannot "vouch" for having even that many users connected simultaneously (100) with PW because, well, I have never had that many connected at once... I could only take "educated guesses" myself on that one. But yeah, I almost forgot about the current RAM "situation" too, but I couldn't see that really (seriously) affecting the used market especially for say something like an EOL server with DDR3 or DDR4 (certainly not cutting edge, but will do the job nicely)... When I first started this PW venture I actually used a series of SUN Microsystems V20Z models... I cannot even honestly remember what hardware they were other than that they were pretty much "trash", BUT, they had (especially combined) a LOT of RAM... If I am not mistaken those were also (actually) DDR2 (LMAO)...

I'll even grab a few examples for ya of something I would buy myself / recommend:


Now I know everybody's thought or definition of "cheap" or "affordable" (or "expensive") is rather subjective but I think something like that is a possibly decent example (depending on where you live for terms of shipping)... It's a "server" that comes with 512GB of RAM for only $500 ($499 to be technical - plus shipping). Item located in Pennsylvania USA... Shockingly that one comes with HDD's too! I am used to all second hand servers I ever get coming without HDD's! Here you also get 8TB of HDD space it looks like... Oh actually comes with 3 drives, 1x 8TB and 2x 900GB... Only thing I "see" about this listing is the fact that it has ONE PSU. That alone leads me to think this is definitely something of "home lab" grade opposed to actual enterprise level equipment. But this is still something I would absolutely buy ~ especially for "testing" or "developing" kind of purposes ("tinkering")... And IMHO it's more than "affordable" if you consider A) all that you're actually getting for the price and given B) the current RAM "situation"! Granted it is also older, DDR3, I think this machine would do more than fine for a game like PW...

Now would I grab that one to set up and then colo in an actual data center to actually run a server, probably not. I'd probably get something higher end for sure for an actual "production environment"... I also think DDR3 is more than adequate for PW (think about what was out back when they initially developed PW), the main thing I would question TBH about using something like THIS example in production would be the CPU. I'm not too sure whether that CPU would handle a production environment... May want something with a little faster clock speed, or more cores, for example... Well, IDK that one may actually do pretty well even for production - it is a TEN core CPU after all, with a default clock speed of 2.5GHz... Although that is another area I have not done much "testing" either TBH. I have not done much CPU testing so I do not even know whole-heartedly whether having more cores or faster clocks would really make much of a difference or not, the main thing I always tried to test was RAM since I know game servers like PW are RAM HUNGRY...

Anyway, I hope this helps!

---add---

yeah, considering some vendors are charging more for JUST the RAM, I do think that's a pretty decent deal:

 
at current prices rate for RAM and storage, even a DDR3 server with 512GB RAM is gonna cost a kidney. :ROFLMAO:
appreciate the hint, thanks! gonna take a look see what I find.

I currently have a Legend of Mir 3 server running with 32GB RAM installed, and it handled up to 100 users connected (back on season launch) with 0 issues. But I believe PW needs more resources from what I've seen so far.
I upgraded ram on my Desktop 16GB to 64GB DDR4 even cheap A-Tech ram was around 100$. The better ram was going to run me 300 USD.


My kidney isn't worth much after 15 years of heavy partying most of me would be unusable ahaha. Id sell it for a Ducatti Super Bike though o.o
 
  • Heart
Reactions: 343
I sadly cannot "vouch" for having even that many users connected simultaneously (100) with PW because, well, I have never had that many connected at once... I could only take "educated guesses" myself on that one. But yeah, I almost forgot about the current RAM "situation" too, but I couldn't see that really (seriously) affecting the used market especially for say something like an EOL server with DDR3 or DDR4 (certainly not cutting edge, but will do the job nicely)... When I first started this PW venture I actually used a series of SUN Microsystems V20Z models... I cannot even honestly remember what hardware they were other than that they were pretty much "trash", BUT, they had (especially combined) a LOT of RAM... If I am not mistaken those were also (actually) DDR2 (LMAO)...

I'll even grab a few examples for ya of something I would buy myself / recommend:


Now I know everybody's thought or definition of "cheap" or "affordable" (or "expensive") is rather subjective but I think something like that is a possibly decent example (depending on where you live for terms of shipping)... It's a "server" that comes with 512GB of RAM for only $500 ($499 to be technical - plus shipping). Item located in Pennsylvania USA... Shockingly that one comes with HDD's too! I am used to all second hand servers I ever get coming without HDD's! Here you also get 8TB of HDD space it looks like... Oh actually comes with 3 drives, 1x 8TB and 2x 900GB... Only thing I "see" about this listing is the fact that it has ONE PSU. That alone leads me to think this is definitely something of "home lab" grade opposed to actual enterprise level equipment. But this is still something I would absolutely buy ~ especially for "testing" or "developing" kind of purposes ("tinkering")... And IMHO it's more than "affordable" if you consider A) all that you're actually getting for the price and given B) the current RAM "situation"! Granted it is also older, DDR3, I think this machine would do more than fine for a game like PW...

Now would I grab that one to set up and then colo in an actual data center to actually run a server, probably not. I'd probably get something higher end for sure for an actual "production environment"... I also think DDR3 is more than adequate for PW (think about what was out back when they initially developed PW), the main thing I would question TBH about using something like THIS example in production would be the CPU. I'm not too sure whether that CPU would handle a production environment... May want something with a little faster clock speed, or more cores, for example... Well, IDK that one may actually do pretty well even for production - it is a TEN core CPU after all, with a default clock speed of 2.5GHz... Although that is another area I have not done much "testing" either TBH. I have not done much CPU testing so I do not even know whole-heartedly whether having more cores or faster clocks would really make much of a difference or not, the main thing I always tried to test was RAM since I know game servers like PW are RAM HUNGRY...

Anyway, I hope this helps!

---add---

yeah, considering some vendors are charging more for JUST the RAM, I do think that's a pretty decent deal:

Well in all honesty, its nothing too serious for me as I'm just messing around with your PW release that I got sometime last year. and never really had the time for it until now. So I thought I'd fire it up for a few players thats basically family and friends, maybe some more from here or there. :D

Checking out "Supermicro 2U Xeon E5-2670v2 512g RAM server 2.5"/3.5" SAS RAID 8TB/2x900g" listing, really tempted to catch that one lol as it seem more than enough considering what I'm running the server on at the moment. Also it ain't expensive if it serves the purpose, thanks for the suggestion!

Where I am they're asking $100 for a used 8GB DDR4, so you can only imagine how its going for higher pieces lol

I upgraded ram on my Desktop 16GB to 64GB DDR4 even cheap A-Tech ram was around 100$. The better ram was going to run me 300 USD.


My kidney isn't worth much after 15 years of heavy partying most of me would be unusable ahaha. Id sell it for a Ducatti Super Bike though o.o
thats a good deal you got there!

well neither are mine :ROFLMAO: had my fair share of raving and partying.
 
I am fairly certain that you will need more than 128 GB of RAM if you run the full map for PW on versions 155+, because it requires a substantial amount of baseline system resources. This amount of RAM is only what you need to load the maps and avoid lag.


If this is a personal computer, you will likely need an additional 32 GB of RAM to run Windows smoothly, while the virtual machine itself will consume around 128 GB. The amount of RAM required for each map also depends on the number of players accessing that map, so it is not a fixed value.


The longer the server runs, the more RAM it will gradually consume. It will return to its baseline level only after you restart the server and the virtual machine. Therefore, in my opinion, 128 GB should be considered the minimum.

1769387599799 - 155 Server specs - RaGEZONE Forums
 
Well, and also, depending on your money situation... I found this lil gem (albeit with only 1/2 the RAM):



Shipping from MN USA

But it is also 1/2 the price ... ;)

--- ---

Also just noticed that both example listings I supplied ~ both sellers have 100% positive feedback ;) (I would most definitely buy from either of these sellers)!!!
 
Last edited:
I am fairly certain that you will need more than 128 GB of RAM if you run the full map for PW on versions 155+, because it requires a substantial amount of baseline system resources. This amount of RAM is only what you need to load the maps and avoid lag.


If this is a personal computer, you will likely need an additional 32 GB of RAM to run Windows smoothly, while the virtual machine itself will consume around 128 GB. The amount of RAM required for each map also depends on the number of players accessing that map, so it is not a fixed value.


The longer the server runs, the more RAM it will gradually consume. It will return to its baseline level only after you restart the server and the virtual machine. Therefore, in my opinion, 128 GB should be considered the minimum.

View attachment 295190
thanks! will probably go with 512GB and ditch windows and setup the actual Ubuntu LTS Image instead of running on a VM. not sure how that'll go though since the tut says its only meant to run as VM.

Well, and also, depending on your money situation... I found this lil gem (albeit with only 1/2 the RAM):



Shipping from MN USA

But it is also 1/2 the price ... ;)

--- ---

Also just noticed that both example listings I supplied ~ both sellers have 100% positive feedback ;) (I would most definitely buy from either of these sellers)!!!
this one seem a great deal as well! lets see which one wins! I've also been looking around locally, hoping to find a good one and save shipping cost. Appreciate the tip! :D
 
Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 343
It's literally no different running it in a VM vs actual hardware (and I'd be more than willing to help ya if you needed)...! IIRC that 512GB actually comes with Ubuntu already installed (granted a different version than the package "requires") since it does actually come with drives. I do believe that second listing does NOT come with drives (as I'd normally expect from a USED server)...

Where are you geographically located if you do not mind my asking, at least then I would know what's "close" or not!
 
It's literally no different running it in a VM vs actual hardware (and I'd be more than willing to help ya if you needed)...! IIRC that 512GB actually comes with Ubuntu already installed (granted a different version than the package "requires") since it does actually come with drives. I do believe that second listing does NOT come with drives (as I'd normally expect from a USED server)...

Where are you geographically located if you do not mind my asking, at least then I would know what's "close" or not!
guess no need to bother then. was only thinking to exclude windows so it doesn't waste any resources, since its only used to run VM and everything needed is literally in there. maybe slap win7 or some old server edition and call it a day! :D

not at all! I am currently located in middle east - Jordan. you can only imagine the shipping from EU or US and import custom costs lol, but its no problem as long as I get what I need.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 343
With all due respect, 128/512GB for PW seems very, very difficult to achieve.

It made me reflect on the necessary resources; I will arrange a stress test with 10,000 clients in the near future and post the results on the forum.
 
I do think 128GB would probably be enough, but when I have found deals as good as I have on machines with more, why not have more IMHO... If something "needs" 128, I go 512 LOL If something needs 512, I'd go 1TB... Just in my nature ~ to leave "headroom" for "more" down the line!

I guess it also largely depends on how good of a "deal hunter" one is (and what is or isn't available in a certain area of the world)! Me, I have the patience of a saint, or so I've been told, and I have literally found servers that come with 1TB of RAM, going for an asking price of less than what I've seen on servers with only 128GB... So if I could get a machine with 1TB for the price of a 128GB ~ why wouldn't I !?!?!?!?
 
With all due respect, 128/512GB for PW seems very, very difficult to achieve.

It made me reflect on the necessary resources; I will arrange a stress test with 10,000 clients in the near future and post the results on the forum.
please do let us know how that goes!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 343
I'm running a 155 server and a 173 full maps on 1 Tyan s7012 motherboard 96gb cheap ram. The servers are dead now, but there would be 20 to 30 accounts active on both no problems. I could still run a 3rd one for debugging all in VMs, headless environments.
 
guess no need to bother then. was only thinking to exclude windows so it doesn't waste any resources, since its only used to run VM and everything needed is literally in there. maybe slap win7 or some old server edition and call it a day! :D

not at all! I am currently located in middle east - Jordan. you can only imagine the shipping from EU or US and import custom costs lol, but its no problem as long as I get what I need.

Did you wind up grabbing that (first one)? {I see it's gone now}..
 
Back