[3.5] TClient connection issues, "Incorrect Version"

Newbie Spellweaver
Joined
Mar 21, 2025
Messages
17
Reaction score
9
Greetings again.

I've tried setting up a Server on version 3.5 - and so far this one seems to be the worst of them all. Great progress!

Included in the MEGA download are two clients, three if you count the "4story Taiwan client and server" but I am leaving this one out here, I want to use the english ones.

Trying to launch the TClient.exe from the "Client" folder crashes instantly for me. The error code is empty here, it doesn't display anything.
Trying to launch the TClient.exe from the "ENG_ClientModified" starts the game, though when trying to connect to the server, the issue displays "Incorrect Version [...]"

Now this whole issue has been documented in another thread not too long ago (https://forum.ragezone.com/threads/...erver-a-beginners-guide.1192987/#post-9307851) yet it didn't reach any conclusion for the user that asked the question back then.

I myself am trying to understand the words and codes from this thread, yet this all really doesn't click for me.
Any suggestions?
 
the version problem happens when you just download and use client and services from different sources.. you either have to compile your own client with the same source code from which you got your services or you have to change the version code just like the guy in your mentioned thread explained..
the easier solution would be to just compile both client and services from 1 source code to make them compatible.
compiling yourself is always better than just downloading the exe's.
 
Upvote 0
My issue with the 3.5 files specifically is that I am unable to compile them.
I managed to properly do that with the 3.3 and 3.9 files, but 3.5 refuses to work:

The code is trying to #include <d3dx9.h>, but when rebuilding, it refuses to properly open this file.
In fact, all the the d3dx9 files were missing from External Dependencies at first, but I've managed to fix that and they properly appear again. They can even be opened from that window, so I am really at a loss here, where the issue lies.
 
Upvote 0
hm idk, never had this problem.. so you added d3dx9 but youre still getting only this 1 error? did you check if youre using the right build? if i remember correctly, some sources had different builds and some didnt work..
 
Upvote 0
My issue with the 3.5 files specifically is that I am unable to compile them.
I managed to properly do that with the 3.3 and 3.9 files, but 3.5 refuses to work:

The code is trying to #include <d3dx9.h>, but when rebuilding, it refuses to properly open this file.
In fact, all the the d3dx9 files were missing from External Dependencies at first, but I've managed to fix that and they properly appear again. They can even be opened from that window, so I am really at a loss here, where the issue lies.
are you sure you included the right external libs?
 
Upvote 0
are you sure you included the right external libs?
I found the issue here, the files were being included in "TClient", but they were not included in "Engine Lib" - that was my problem.

Unfortunately next problem, I have been using Visual Studio 2017 and that of course didn't work. So back to square one, finding which VS version does the trick for me. 😅

--

Now another question arises:
The files are perfectly compilable for me in Visual Studio .NET 2003, from what I've gathered this seems to be the initial version the game has been written for.

Is it possible to move up the different VS versions, for example, moving to Visual Studio 2005, then 2008, then 2012 and finally 2015?
These newer versions are kinda much more accessible, more options to quickly find stuff and so on.

How would one do that? Go from version to version, making sure a proper TClient.exe is building each time?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
U want to run the "Sources [Oldschool]" files right? Thats what it looks like for me.
Thats by the way the only files i got working the last 3 Weeks.
They are not 3.5.. they are 3.6 - Rise of Gor.

U have to set up the Server with following files: 4Story Serverfiles 3.6 Rise of Gor (works)\Sources 3.6\ClientTaiwan\++-++-+¦¦¿+¦+±¦-\BinServer .

I tried it with: "Client-Server[compiled]" but it did not work for me. I could restore the DB's from there, but even with correct ODBC settings, services wont start.

So. Use "4story taiwan client and server" files, ClientTaiwan\++-++-+¦¦¿+¦+±¦-\BinServer .
Services working great, i can show u in DC. Use the ENG_ClientModified - Client to join your server.


Edit2: I just dont have a solution for the Windows 10 fps drops. I tried multiple dll's, installed the SDK from June 2010 and also dxvk wont work. I dont know.
 
Upvote 0
Back