Welcome!

Join our community of MMO enthusiasts and game developers! By registering, you'll gain access to discussions on the latest developments in MMO server files and collaborate with like-minded individuals. Join us today and unlock the potential of MMO server development!

Join Today!

3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi PT Community,

I Have tried to integrate a Custom Model / Weapon .
My Try was to change the DblsidedAxe (lvl16) with my own untextured Version of a 2HandAxe.

I modeled it in Zbrush and saved it as .obj . Load it into 3dsmax 2008 with asciiexporter (ase Exporter of Sandurr ) in the Program Biturn (viewer for .Ase) the Weapon looks correct.
But if i delete the itWA105.smd and add the itWA105.ase i got an .exe Error after the char selection /login.

I think i exported it with the wrong options. or the false exporter .

Can anybody help?

Greetings
uNkeLo

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
zbrush can show u the polycount, tellus what is the polycount and i bet is ultry high, if thats the case, thats what causing pt to crash, in zbrush, u have to render to texture ur high details into a texture to apply into a really, really low poly mesh but with the textured, that low poly mesh will looks like high poly mesh

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi thanks for the replies.

@ Vormav i will add a material and will it check .

@ SoyEdu i ddnt still make a retopology. so its around 612 Points i can lower it more if pristontale need this.
and i add a normal map for the details later.
But whats about the handlings where the hands are hold the weapon how i adjust these ?

Greetings
uNkeLo

2HAxe1 - 3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
ya, thats the problem, i see tons of polys, thats why pt crash,
u cant add a normal bump or simple bump in pt, nor even displace map
u have to "render to texture" all the details, the eyes and the rest of details in the skull.
about the arm, must be rounded to have low polys counts, it must b4 almost corner, u must put all ur high details in a texture, dont forget to enable the uvw map coordinates, it doesnt matter if u dont add material, it will show just white in pt.
the Technic in 3ds max is render to texture
under Zbrush is mat cap, use the one u feel better but thats not for begginers ;)
-just to show u an example of low poly, this GS has only 401 vertex, so u can figure it out how much vertex could have a simple weapon

borrar - 3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD - RaGEZONE Forums

Attachments

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
Very nice but very hi-poly in some regions (take the handle, for an example, it is a lovely detail but almost unnoticeable ingame, and it is a 'loader'...).. If you work a bit more on the blades it would be like 'for movies'.. If you do not have a simpler version of the ax, probably it would be easier to model it again in a simpler version basing it on the movies version, try to do a fast one and use the hi-poly one as basis for texture also, etc....

@edit: But i think it runs.. perhaps.. just export it on 3dsmax as ase and it is done (my first trishula was a 3MB .ase model XDD) :)

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
unkelo - 3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD - RaGEZONE Forums

this is a baked material into texture, u can put this texture over a really low poly and it will looks like a ultry high poly:
in zbrush u can have 6 lvls of subdivisions, plus 3 of hd subdivisions, put all the fine details and bake it and apply this baked textured over the lvl 1 subdivision and will looks like the original (the top hd subdivision), just test different settings cuz for pt u cant put all the fine details, is worthless

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi , thanks for the informations.
I normally make the textur with polypainting like vertexpainting (blender or other tools) at 1millions polys. Only at higher subdivison lvls i can make details with that painting it depends on polys.
Then i go to lowest subdiv level and make a UV and bake the polypainting at highest subdiv lvl.
I could use a Tool Xnormals too which but i prefer zbrush for this job.
The Problem is actually iam not good in make a retopology per hand so i mostly mask the cirtical parts with details or edges and decimate it with the filter.
But if i go to far its no good mesh anymore .

I will try in some mins the texturing with some details. and lower the weapon to around 200-300 polys.

Whats that for a tool which shows your baking textures @ SoyEdu

@ ScreamingFox

I am no boxmodeler i am more a sculpter thats make fun with graphtablet for example a whole character from a sphere base. ^^
But it will retopo this axe per hand for a lowpolymesh to bake it with highres texture.
Ty 4 your message :)

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
all in zbrush, look for baking materials in zbrush community, there is like 3, but the one that works with something like an octopus will help u alot, they did that with the 3.1 zbrush version but with the 4 R5 is ALOT ezer, so dont decimate anything, it will screw things up, if u havent baked, do the retopo to a 100 faces top!, if u cant, go a lil more but keep in mind, more faces makes the game lag, thats why the foots of the npcs are kinda boxes if u notice that. U decimate things only if u will 3D print ur creations but thats not the case, just do retopo. Look the pt weapons, are like planes with textures on it that looks like details on the mesh but is only in the texture.

p.d. i've found it:
baking material under zbrush

follow this and u will create a really cool high detailed texture and ur retopo could be just a plane with a cilynder, the uwmap must be the same, keep it in mind and 256x256
the pt textures are all baked materials but made under 3dsmax

Last edited:
Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hi,i thanks for the hints.
i am watching still the videos . very interesting about that baking matcaps to texture.

Really nice Weapons and details are made you ScreamingFox i found an Post from last year :D

How you do your UVW ?

2HAxeTeture03 - 3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD - RaGEZONE Forums

Greetings
uNkeLo

Attachments

Last edited:
Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
I use the "Unwrap UVW" modifier.. But if its too hard i use a program called 'UV Layout', it is a very easy one.. But on the ax i would make a cylindrical map to the handle, a front/back map to the blade and a spherical map to the skull detail (but the skull is so detailed that it do not necessarily need a complex texture..) .. But mapping is the most boring part in my opinion, and i am not very good at it..

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
I use the "Unwrap UVW" modifier.. But if its too hard i use a program called 'UV Layout', it is a very easy one.. But on the ax i would make a cylindrical map to the handle, a front/back map to the blade and a spherical map to the skull detail (but the skull is so detailed that it do not necessarily need a complex texture..) .. But mapping is the most boring part in my opinion, and i am not very good at it..
thats the beauty of zbrush, u just paint over the mesh and the program build the uvmap, and it creates the textures it self, that program has awesome materials thats why, bake that material is the best choice

Custom Title Activated
Loyal Member
Reaction score
The traditional method of texturing in PT is clearly painted, scanned and pixel-art touch-up applied to box-mesh models. Working another way always stands out as, "not part of the set" to my eye, and begs you to recreate every visual asset of the game to fit your new model.

Bare in mind, these are essentially original Playstation / N64 graphics. :wink:

Over rock and under tree
Reaction score
thats the beauty of zbrush, u just paint over the mesh and the program build the uvmap, and it creates the textures it self, that program has awesome materials thats why, bake that material is the best choice

I've downloaded this Zbrush once, i thought that it did just this (paint a model on a 3d environment..) hehehehe.., but did not liked it much.. then i discovered the 'Viewport Canvas' on 3dsmax 2011+, it is loveley.. With this 'Viewport Canvas' you can paint on the model at the Viewport, and use stuff like Photoshop (you can even save the texture as a PSD file..), with layers and blending options, blurs and etc.. VERY cool! You just have to map it in any way and just don't overlap and then you can paint the model on this 'Viewport Canvas'.. very cool, but i think it is better to characters ("organic" or high complexity models)..

@edit: 300 posts ! (again XDD)

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
the power of zbrush just cant be compared to 3ds max, trust me, u work with em everyday making 3D movies, i also use another programs such as mudbox, maya, photoshop, if u know how to use zbrush, is just the best to model-texture.
Bob, the technic for the textures is bake material, just made in a cartoon style and o_O i have 298 pots, didnt notice xD

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Hi ,

I have tried now again to integrate these axe into the client since the server are again online from a friend, but i didnt see a weapon .
The smd was created fine and in the program biturn i opened the ase before and the model was fine.
No Crash at the moment but nothing to see , i added if i made this right in the 3dsmax2013 trial a marterial to the weapon.
Could it be the different scaling of the items in different 3d tools ?

yeah 5 Posts in 1 year ;-)

Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
yes, there could be, 2 reasons:
-to short that u cant see
-the pivot is wrong placed

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
hmm , if i scale it bigger then i got a dc, but i see nothing in this 1 second no weapon in hands.
the pivot is centered .

I try to build in 3dsmax just a cylinder as stick now.
(with the cilinder it crashes really fast after login )

Last edited:
Skilled Illusionist
Reaction score
tips:
Weapon should be in the coord: 0,0,0
the mesh should be editable poly or editable mesh

here i atached a max with a cilinder that u can use as reference for ur weapons, i made it really fast, havent put much attention in the pivot, just tryed to set kinda like should be

I atached the picture of how it looks like in game and i used the weapon wp125 (itwp125)

View attachment weap ref.zip

and with that last post : THIS IS SPARTAAAA!!!! .... <----- 300 posts xD

Attachments

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Thank Your very much with this reference it worked i scaled it factor 10 and changed the position over the stick.

Now its time to retopologize the mesh and bake the texture.

Axe01 - 3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD - RaGEZONE Forums

Axe02 - 3DsMax Export to .Ase or .SMD - RaGEZONE Forums

Greetings uNkeLo

Gratulations to your 300. posts :D

Attachments

Back