• Unfortunately, we have experienced significant hard drive damage that requires urgent maintenance and rebuilding. The forum will be a state of read only until we install our new drives and rebuild all the configurations needed. Please follow our Facebook page for updates, we will be back up shortly! (The forum could go offline at any given time due to the nature of the failed drives whilst awaiting the upgrades.) When you see an Incapsula error, you know we are in the process of migration.

Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Contributing sucks butt. But until I get my hands on Cola, developing is kinda boring as it is, so why not make a guide?

Requirements:
(Theres probably an easier way to do it than the way I do, but duck it, this is my guide afterall)

1. Weapon already in game with elements (BSword in this guide)
  2. Blender
  3. C4D
  4. 2nd Generation O3D Converter (The one with animations and etc)
  5. IQ of at least 100

Step One

You should already have your weapon finished and polished if you're reading this guide. Export it to wavefront somewhere.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums

Step Two

Convert that pre-elemented model to obj.

chanaz - Adding elements to your own models (I suck at guides) - RaGEZONE Forums

Step Three

Open in blender.

Select the sword (right click), and on the group menu, select the mesh (the drop down box, on most Aeonsoft[lab] the mesh is named... Mesh).

Hit X (delete), and click ok on the popup.

Now select (right click) the left over object, and go to File --> Export --> Wavefront (.obj)

Export with these settings. (And don't close blender just yet)

What we did here was extract the Element group from the Bloody Sword, and set it aside for future projects so we don't have to extract it each time we make a new model.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Step Three

Now we're going to import our sword.

Select (you should know from this point on) the Element object, and hit TAB. (The outline of the object should turn yellow, and you should be able to see the verts)

Now select the general area near one of those verts (it'll be obvious when you select it).

HOLDING the right mouse button, drag the cursor to move the verts around. To release the vert, just left click. Put everything where you feel it'll belong.

Don't forget we're working in 3 dimensions.

When you're done with that, just hit TAB again, and you'll be out of editing mode. Now select your weapon, and then press A twice. (This deselects, and then selects everything in the scene)

Export with these settings.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Step Four

Probably the easiest step, open up C4D, and open our newly created .obj

Rename (double click the name) your weapon mesh to... Mesh (you might not have to, I just do it cause I'm weird like
Select the materials (gray balls [lol]) and hit DEL to get rid of them.

Export that little f***er.

Step Five

Start up the O3D Converter, and open your model.

If your model ends up like this, you're f***ed. (I don't even like adding elements to keyblades, so I'm switching over to my chakrams which I added elements to earlier for the sake of the guide.)

If you see red lines AND your model, its all good.

Load a DDS, and save your (now elemented) model!that)

Banana
Loyal Member
Reaction score
This just makes me want to get Blender, the way I did it was a bit more time consuming and annoying. Hopefully this can help out a lot of beginner 3D developers that have an IQ of 100 or more at least. /sweat

i sell platypus
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Thank god for this guide. I can't thank you enough for saving my models lmfao >>;

Newbie Spellweaver
Reaction score
Nice guide but I'm unable to do it, as my computer won't run C4D. I ish a newb to blender, so I take the longer road and use misfit modeler 3d. Can't remember but I think I can do it with it just with a copy and paste from one model to my own. I'll have to try it since I haven't yet.

Scarlet Dreamz ~waves~
Reaction score
i dont need to import a pre existing model, if u use cinema 4d its WAY easir, u just need 30 sec to make a glow element.

i know people import pre models so they can add that glow to their custom weapons, but nop, there are better ways of getting them :3

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
i dont need to import a pre existing model, if u use cinema 4d its WAY easir, u just need 30 sec to make a glow element.

i know people import pre models so they can add that glow to their custom weapons, but nop, there are better ways of getting them :3

Creating a object group in the program I use is awkward. Besides, I never have to make another one again.

One word! Im Fawkin Pro!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Really nice guide! alltho, u dont need all that shizzle xD there is an alot easier way...

once you make your .obj... convert it to .o3d... convert it back to .obj, open cinema4D take in the .obj... you now already have a element with 3 points, that means you can add 2 more...
have fun xD

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
HOLY! I was looking for something like this for years. Imma try this now. +1

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I hate to necro this thread, but here's a good question. I've extended the Petal Sword to be longer and the element model along with it, but it's not converting like it should out of C4D. If I import it into the o3d converter (190509-bundled), the weapon shows, but the element object is not there. What could be wrong? @@

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

i sell platypus
Loyal Member
Reaction score
I hate to necro this thread, but here's a good question. I've extended the Petal Sword to be longer and the element model along with it, but it's not converting like it should out of C4D. If I import it into the o3d converter (190509-bundled), the weapon shows, but the element object is not there. What could be wrong? @@

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Are you using the latest .o3d converter? Check sticky post.

Else check if the element object has been named, if it is rename it to Mesh.

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Tenks, will check into it right now! :3

EDIT:
Have been using the latest version (gui version) and I renamed the Element object to Mesh and now not even the weapon is loading up. Geesh. ><

Last edited:
One word! Im Fawkin Pro!
Loyal Member
Reaction score
Tenks, will check into it right now! :3

EDIT:
Have been using the latest version (gui version) and I renamed the Element object to Mesh and now not even the weapon is loading up. Geesh. ><

i think the element in petal is inside the wep.. try to zoom in..
if you made from o3d to obj -> Cinema4D then you need 5 points to the element.. i am 60% sure that it is only 3 points ( 0/1/2 )

when ur done then export the obj and look it into gui again :p

Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
Yeah, it is 3 points. Okay, I'll try it out and let you know the results. Tenks for your help guys. :]

EDIT:
Sadly, didn't work. Keeps messing up the model when I import. I dunno what I'm doing wrong. Ah well, it's no big deal. Thanks for your help anyway guys.

Last edited:
Experienced Elementalist
Reaction score
I might write a (text based) guide on doing the same thing in Cola and Max. Someone can add pics later D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back